Which ones should I get?

Fuzzy Birds

At the moment, I try to collect titles that are either in their own self contained universe (everything Ultimate, Supreme Power), or that exist on the fringes of the regular MU (Exiles, Runaways, Defenders). The title I collect that is closest to the MU is Young Avengers, and that's a new addition. Upon reading YA, I noticed that while the concept is great, it ties in quite a lot to New Avengers.

I've always been something of a continuity nut, which is why I steer clear of the regular MU, with it's crossovers and multiple character titles. However, I've been thinking recently (uh oh), that thanks to the internet, I'm usually pretty clued up as to what's happening all around the MU. To get the point, I'm going to dip my toe in the regular MU.

I'm going to the UK in a week, so I'll be able to pick up TPBs and back issues and what not cheaper than I would here in the Netherlands.

So, I've already added Young Avengers and The Book of Lost Souls to my hit list, and I've prepared a list which I intend to shorten to 5 ongoings and a few minis.

Ongoings:

Amazing Fantasy: the Arana and Scorpion concept never interested me, but I like the sound of this Vegas character, and the upcoming Deaths Head 3.0. Possibly.

Cable/Deadpool: a little tricky now that it's 20 issues in, but I've always liked those two, and I need something a little light hearted. Definitely.

Captain America: ok, so the characters not a favourite, but all I hear about this is good things. Possibly.

Friendly Neighbourhood Spiderman: Wieringo rocks. Probably from issue 4. Likely.

Iron Man: Always liked him, and Ellis and Granov can't be bad. At only 5 issues, it won't be hard to track down the others. Definitely.

Marvel Team Up: Big, bold fun. Kirkman's a good writer, Kolins not so good an artist. Possibly.

New Avengers: despite the criticism, I want something big, dumb and easy to read. Like a blockbuster comic. Considering YA and IM tie into it, this sounds like the best option for me. Likely.

She Hulk: never been a favourite character, but I hear it's a great read. Need to pick up the first volume too. Possibly.

Minis current/upcoming:

Books of Doom: Sounds interesting, but I've never been keen on Doom, especially not the early Doom this is based on. Possibly.

Fantastic Four/Iron Man, Big In Japan: looks absolutely gorgeous, a nice light hearted treat. Definitely.

Iron Man, The Inevitable: if I'm getting the regular series, I'm getting this. Definitely.

Marvel Zombies: you know it. Definitely.

Sentinel: missed it the first time round, and it may take a while to track down the digest. Perhaps I wait until it comes out in TPB, then I can get volume one and two. Possibly.

Supreme Power: Hyperion; Nighthawk: I love Supreme Power, but I was skeptical of character minis after Doc Spectrum. I'd rather get these two in TPB form. Definitely.

Minis past:

Gravity: I'm considering the TPB, and if a new ongoing pops up, I'll be on it. It's been compared to early Spidey, and that can't be bad. Likely.

New Warriors: don't know why I didn't get this from the start, but it looks like a laugh riot. Definitely.

I'm also considering a couple DC and Image titles. I won't touch anything remotely related Infinite Crisis, or in fact, any of DCs superhero stable. DC heroes have just never appealed to me, and I don't care how good it is, if I don't like the characters, I ain't getting it.

So, what I think is:

DC

Ex Machina: 15 issues in, but shouldn't be too hard to track down. Likely.

Invincible: maybe too many issues in though. Possibly.

Well, I'd appreciate some help in finalising my short list. At the moment, I have Cable/Deadpool and Iron Man as definites, and I'm likely to add New Avengers to that list, but I still need two more titles. And please, no one suggest anything X Men related.

Well, I went ahead and subscribed to New Avengers, Cable/Deadpool and Iron Man, along with FF/IM: Big In Japan. Now I could do with just a couple more titles....

Fuzzy Birds said:
Well, I went ahead and subscribed to New Avengers

My second favorite book right now. Nice choice.

Y the Last Man is fun.

I recommend Top 10 by Alan Moore (not the new one) or any ABC title written by Alan Moore. They're all great and I think the longest running one was Promethea at 4 trades. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Top 10 were 2 trades, and I think Tom Strong was 2 or 3. They're all fun and definately, definately worth it.

There's also Morrison's JLA. I'll try to think of an ongoing that's in low numbers though (off the top of my head, I can't though...).

I'm definitely all over Y: the Last Man, but I think a wiser idea is to start picking it up in trades once the series is finished proper, which is around the issue 60 mark right?

I'd like to see some League Of...., and you say it's only 2 TPBs? I thought there were a lot more issues than that?

As for JLA, have to pass, I really have little to no interest in DCs superhero characters. Even if they're written by the 'greatest writer in comics today', they're still the same characters I don't like.

I like, and have, Morrissons We3, but his stuff on New X Men that I read just didn't do it for me. Call me a blasphemer, I just didn't think his issues were very.... fun.

Also thinking about the Thing ongoing, but I'm not too keen on the artist...

And I wouldn't mind some Spiderman goodness, but FNSM is the only one I'd consider for the artwork, and I don't want to buy MK and Amazing to understand everything that happens.....

Fuzzy Birds said:
I'm definitely all over Y: the Last Man, but I think a wiser idea is to start picking it up in trades once the series is finished proper, which is around the issue 60 mark right?

I got the first five trade, one a week. I just burned through them. They're fun.

Fuzzy Birds said:
I'd like to see some League Of...., and you say it's only 2 TPBs? I thought there were a lot more issues than that?

Nope. 6 issues in volume 1. 6 in volume 2. It rocks. There will be two more volumes at least, but who knows when. Top 10 is also great fun. You... you just have to see... Galactipus. :lol:

Fuzzy Birds said:
As for JLA, have to pass, I really have little to no interest in DCs superhero characters. Even if they're written by the 'greatest writer in comics today', they're still the same characters I don't like.

A character is only as good as its writer. But if Morrison doesn't rock your boat, you may not enjoy it.

Oooh! The Authority by Ellis and Millar.

No. Forget it. Forget all my recommendations. One twelve-issue series. It's completed. It's in two trades. By Warren Ellis. Each issue has a different artist. Each issue is stand alone. GLOBAL FREQUENCY. It's superb.

Are you on the global frequency?

Bass said:
Are you on the global frequency?
I am on the Global Frequency.

gfanim3.gif

I heard loads about Global Frequency, I was particularly interested in that pilot that was broadcast on the 'net a while back....

I'd love to read the Authority, been it's got a load of issues behind it.... perhaps something for the long term...

Get on the Global Frequency - the comic. The show was one episode that never aired. Get the comic.

As for The Authority... look, I haven't read the Authority in years. Here's the Authority I know and love:

#1-4 by Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch "The Circle"
#5-8 by the same "Shift Ships"
#9-12 by the same "Outer Dark"

That's their run.

#13-16 by Mark Millar and Frank Quitely "Nativity"
#14-20 by Mark Millar, Charles Weston, and Frank Quitely "Earth Inferno"
#22 by Mark Millar and Frank Quitely "Brave New World" part 1

Then, Frank Quitely left the series, a fill-in team did #23-26 which were crap, and Millar returned.

#27-29 by Mark Millar and various "Brave New World" parts 2, 3 and 4.

After that I don't know.

So get these issues. Ignore #21, #23, #24, #25 and #26. They are all crap. After #29 it got cancelled and rebooted so I don't know what it's like anymore.

But in any case, you can pick up #1-8 in the "Relentless" tpb, #9-16 in the "Under New Management" tpb, and I know there's an "Earth Inferno and Other Stories" tpb which collects Earth Inferno and some other stories. I'm not certain how to get Brave New World in trades (I have it in issues, so I dunno where it's collected) though I think the first hardcover is Ellis and Hitch's 12 issue run, and the second hardcover is Millar's 12-issue run, though check to be sure.

Also, Planetary is on #25 or so, and that kicks ***. You can get that in trades too.

So - Authority (the issues I noted above), Planetary, or Global Frequence gives you a nice does of Ellis and Wildstorm love. :D

Bass said:
Get on the Global Frequency - the comic. The show was one episode that never aired. Get the comic.
Global Frequency is awesome. I'll admit it has some flaws, and isn't my favorite Ellis book, but there's just something patently fun about it anyway.

There's a sense of wonder I always get from Big Sky the fifth story from the first trade, Planet Ablaze. Can't wait to save the money up for Detonation Radio.

The TV pilot is excellent. Also, a bit flawed, but it's faithful to the book in a way that makes sense in a TV format and by doing that it helps sell the concept in a more accessible TV-friendly way that doesn't compromise.

What's interesting is that the twinkle-eyed optimism that lies just under the surface of the comic as well as all of Ellis' work, particularly Planetary, is more present in the TV pilot and while it can get a little ham-fisted, I don't mind.

I still get tingles and chills when Michelle Forbes says, "This is Miranda Zero and YOU are on the Global Frequency."

The first volume of Authority is also nice. I think it hasn't aged very well and I'll admit that my first read of it was over half a decade after it was published but you can still see the germs of what Ellis would use in his other works. You can still appreciate it if you understand that it was published at a very different time in comics.

Bass said:
Also, Planetary is on #25 or so, and that kicks ***. You can get that in trades too.
Planetary rocks. There is no question about that. :rockon:

ourchair said:
The TV pilot is excellent. Also, a bit flawed, but it's faithful to the book in a way that makes sense in a TV format and by doing that it helps sell the concept in a more accessible TV-friendly way that doesn't compromise.

Problem I had with the pilot is in the comic, Global Frequency is just sooo fast. The pilot was too slow. It should've been a half hour programme. A 30 minute spy drama doesn't exist on tv. It would have been the best show ever made ever ever ever.

ourchair said:
The first volume of Authority is also nice. I think it hasn't aged very well and I'll admit that my first read of it was over half a decade after it was published but you can still see the germs of what Ellis would use in his other works. You can still appreciate it if you understand that it was published at a very different time in comics.

You're a freak. FREAK! I still think The Authority seems newer and fresher than most of the sutff out there now. In fact, team book wise, the only team book that seems 'new' to me is The Ultimates 2. The rest are stale in comparison.

Bass said:
Problem I had with the pilot is in the comic, Global Frequency is just sooo fast. The pilot was too slow. It should've been a half hour programme. A 30 minute spy drama doesn't exist on tv. It would have been the best show ever made ever ever ever.
You're right. A twenty-minute format would be nice.

I suspect Hollywood TV producers and series creators tend to view the forty-minute format as 'respectable' and the twenty-minute format as something more kid-friendly or suited to the audience that wants only easy-to-digest comedy shows, though I can't prove it.

Hell, even the twenty-minute drama would have a derogatory assocation: daytime soaps and telenovelas. Yet we need more twenty-minute dramas, twenty-minute thrillers, twenty-minute action-adventure programs.

Bass said:
You're a freak. FREAK! I still think The Authority seems newer and fresher than most of the sutff out there now. In fact, team book wise, the only team book that seems 'new' to me is The Ultimates 2. The rest are stale in comparison.
It is. Doesn't mean it aged well. I don't see the term 'hasn't aged very well' as 'not fresh'. I see 'aged' as 'the cracks show a bit' or 'small traits of being product of its time'. It's not a judgement of value, its a judgement of temporal strain.

ourchair said:
It is. Doesn't mean it aged well. I don't see the term 'hasn't aged very well' as 'not fresh'. I see 'aged' as 'the cracks show a bit' or 'small traits of being product of its time'. It's not a judgement of value, its a judgement of temporal strain.

WRONG! There are no cracks!

Bass said:
WRONG! There are no cracks!
Really? Cause I like The Engineer's crack. She is my H.R. Giger technosexual erotic fantasy come true.

Last edited:
Ourchair, we all know that you're the real *** hole.

Damn cracka'.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back