Who's a worst writer?

Re: font

I don't know this font off the top of my head either.

Identifont may be able to help.

(But on second thoughts, this is one of those fonts that probably won't be in its database.)

And I'm not one of Bendis' biggest fans either, but damn, there are far far far worse writers than him in comics.

Last edited:

Yeah, like Jeph Loeb. :wink:

No, there really are.

Last edited:

:rockon::rockon::rockon:Welcome furious!!!:rockon::rockon::rockon:
Yeah, I have no idea about the font.
EDIT: Why did this get moved? It has nothing to do with writers.

Last edited:

furious said:
tell me you like millar

no really- say it out loud.
Are you saying Bendis is better than Millar?

i am

like i said earlier, we all have our favorites...

mine jsut happens to be BMB and i think he's head and shoulders above millar.

furious said:
i am

like i said earlier, we all have our favorites...

mine jsut happens to be BMB and i think he's head and shoulders above millar.
Head and shoulders above Millar? Who the hell is this furius guy?

Oh, and welcome.

Guijllons said:
And I'm not one of Bendis' biggest fans either, but damn, there are far far far worse writers than him in comics.

I hope you are not refering to the literary genius that is Card...snigger....sorry can't even say that without laughing....

ok- at this point you and i are going to throw opinions and potshots at each other- somethign i'm not all that interested in doing-

i will say however that not once has millar impressed me. i've never read something of his and say to myself- "nice work".

the exact opposite is true for BMB.

at least once (often times more) an issue i've said jsut that about BMB

We all have our favourites, yeah. I think Millar's work on the Ultimates has been extremely well crafted, whereas there was a time when Bendis, I felt, was the worst on the Ultimates line. But, Card pops up, Loeb takes over the Ultimates after Millar, Millar hasn't been setting me alight on his FF work and Vaughan is leaving ... Bendis is remaining constant in his ok-ness. His ok-ness wasn't ok when the rest of the range was really (to me) really quite good.

It's personal choice, and welcome.

And ignore Gmaster, really, there is a button for it and everything :)

furious said:
ok- at this point you and i are going to throw opinions and potshots at each other- somethign i'm not all that interested in doing-

i will say however that not once has millar impressed me. i've never read something of his and say to myself- "nice work".

They're joking around. It takes some getting used too.

Millar's Ultimates is genius... I can't stand some of his views and I'm holding off on praising him until the finale of GTA. Bendis can write some damn good stuff. More than not his USM has been good and in the future we'll get some bad arcs with some good ones. He's running USM not just a guest writer so of course it's gonna be up and down which people fault him for. If he was on USM for a short time we'd see a dramatic change in the opinion of Bendis. Besides his Daredevil rules. Vaughan is totally underrated because... I don't know? Vaughan's the one guy whose made some really good ultimizations and twists and references the rest of the universe perfectly and yet, people would rather praise Millar for his self center Ultimates Story that should be the center of the UU and should be acknowledged by others. It works for the story itself but does nothing for the rest of the Ultimate Universe.

What was I getting at? The opinions vary I guess but there are no bad writers in the UU besides Card but he's not a comic book writer.

furious said:

I really like Bendis - always have. Some of his stuff isn't as good as his other stuff but that's not unexpected.

Kind of surprised about your Millar comment. His Ultimate X-Men was very "blah" but Ultimates and especially Ultimates 2 has been nothing short of genius.

UltimateE said:
I really like Bendis - always have. Some of his stuff isn't as good as his other stuff but that's not unexpected..
And he doesn't even read Daredevil... :twisted:

UltimateE said:
Kind of surprised about your Millar comment. His Ultimate X-Men was very "blah" but Ultimates and especially Ultimates 2 has been nothing short of genius.
I like Millar's UXM. I loved his take on Wolverine and how he actually made Cyclops look like a real badass leader.

Short version: I think Bendis was great, but hasn't written an enjoyable comic in over two years now because he writes almost a dozen comics a month, but they all have the same plots, characters, dialogue, and they all have terrible endings. He throws away entire storylines while spending most of his writing chores having people jibber back and forth with horrific dialogue that magically solves most of their problems.

Bass said:
Short version: I think Bendis was great, but hasn't written an enjoyable comic in over two years [except Daredevil but I don't read that] now because he writes almost a dozen comics a month, but they all have the same plots, characters, dialogue, and they all have terrible endings. He throws away entire storylines while spending most of his writing chores having people jibber back and forth with horrific dialogue that magically solves most of their problems.

I somewhat agree. New Avengers is his biggest problem the first three issues were amazing and then it felt like the arc was just cut short and rushed. *Sigh* The Sentry wasn't amazing by any means and he may have destroyed a truly great character...

We all know how we feel about USM but Bass' opinion can be best expressed in the Hobgoblin arc :? Terrible....

Daredevil's awesome, period.

So I recognize what you're saying but a good deal of Bendis' writings.

IMO, Bendis' strength is in small "intimate" titles with a small number of characters that he understands well and a very "personal" storyline (Alias, Daredevil). His weaknesses is in his very large-scale, multi-character, ambitious plots and in seeing through plot and characterization details.

Millar's strength is in understanding wide-scale, big production casts and in creating a cinematic world. Ultimates is pretty much his exact niche, with the major characters being well-realized and a plot with dramatic enough moments to hide his dialog weaknesses.

Both writers seem to have a fairly narrow comfort zone that they don't do all that well outside of. That's not unusual, in comics or in literature, but it's... unfortunate. Brian K. Vaughan is probably one of the more versatile of the comics crowd, able to write a series of characters (Runaways, Ex Machina, Y) who are quite different yet well done.

Latest posts

Back