Votes: 2 5.9%
  • other

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • none, UIM ruined it for me

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hawkeye101 said:
Stll, I am a fan of the Hawkeye technology thing. If wizard prints my question and Millar/Bendis/Ellis answer it, we'll find out soon enough who's right.

As bad as that idea is (no offense), I totally expect some (much) lesser writer (Loeb?) to retcon it to something like that.

Someone hold me. :(

UltimateE said:
As bad as that idea is (no offense), I totally expect some (much) lesser writer (Loeb?) to retcon it to something like that.

None of you seem to have a problem with Captain America becoming an actual super-human, or Black Widow being peak human to explain their feats. What's the prob with Hawkeye having something? I said he was a great archer in my story, they just gave him the implnats to see again, and added a targeting system, okay, yes, but getting over the fact that Hawk gets a 'peak human' ability was the story any good?

Hawkeye101 said:
Maybe you're right, but it might be both, I thouight since that it was indoor, it was a winter sport, kinda like swimming.

Stll, I am a fan of the Hawkeye technology thing. If wizard prints my question and Millar/Bendis/Ellis answer it, we'll find out soon enough who's right.

A couple problems with your Hawkeye origin, besides the UIM-like need to explain his abilities. First, Hawkeye went to the Olympics for Archery, not gymnastics. It was never even said he had anything to do with gymnastics, and while I understand the reason of having him be in it in your origin, it goes against established continuity. I know you work around it and have Hawkeye in the Olympics for archery later on, but it seems kind of forced. Second, Hawkeye is the guy who helped start or form SHIELD, or was at the very least one of its earliest recruits based on the line he said to Fury in the first Ultimates volume about SHIELD being something or other with a drink tab. So that kind of makes it impossible for his father or grandfather to have been members. Oh and by the way, wasn't Callum the youngest kid, not the first? Or am I remembering wrong. Liked the Boomerang thing though, and the fact you kept him alive so he could later appear in USM without screwing up continuity. Needs some work, but not a bad idea. I'd just not rely so much on the explanation of Hawkeye's abilities.

I voted for Doc Strange. I think it would be a goo chance for the writers to examine the mystical properties of the Ultimate Universe and give us a more balanced view of him. Is he a sequestered scorceror or a hollywood mogul looking for some quick cash? Examine where these aspects of his life meet, and how he became tied up in the cult of celebrety instead of learning his fatehrs craft.

I loved that he was the classic Doc Strange's son too. I think that was a very creative idea on how to adapt Dr. Strange without cutting any of the original elemnts of the classic Ditko era. okay, not creative, but certainly good.

Baxter said:
I voted for Doc Strange. I think it would be a goo chance for the writers to examine the mystical properties of the Ultimate Universe and give us a more balanced view of him. Is he a sequestered scorceror or a hollywood mogul looking for some quick cash? Examine where these aspects of his life meet, and how he became tied up in the cult of celebrety instead of learning his fatehrs craft.

I loved that he was the classic Doc Strange's son too. I think that was a very creative idea on how to adapt Dr. Strange without cutting any of the original elemnts of the classic Ditko era. okay, not creative, but certainly good.

True, but technically he's not the son of classic 616 Dr. Strange, he's the son of the Ultimate universe's first Dr. Strange. Just to get into semantics and all.

DIrishB said:
A couple problems with your Hawkeye origin, besides the UIM-like need to explain his abilities. First, Hawkeye went to the Olympics for Archery, not gymnastics. It was never even said he had anything to do with gymnastics, and while I understand the reason of having him be in it in your origin, it goes against established continuity. I know you work around it and have Hawkeye in the Olympics for archery later on, but it seems kind of forced. Second, Hawkeye is the guy who helped start or form SHIELD, or was at the very least one of its earliest recruits based on the line he said to Fury in the first Ultimates volume about SHIELD being something or other with a drink tab. So that kind of makes it impossible for his father or grandfather to have been members. Oh and by the way, wasn't Callum the youngest kid, not the first? Or am I remembering wrong. Liked the Boomerang thing though, and the fact you kept him alive so he could later appear in USM without screwing up continuity. Needs some work, but not a bad idea. I'd just not rely so much on the explanation of Hawkeye's abilities.

Yeah, they also had to falsify his background to the public remember, so what people have said, doesn't nessisaril;y mean it is gospel. Remember Betty Ross said that and she's in charge of public relations so she may have gotten the falsified version. And I needed Hawkeye to have some kind of 'natural' abilities that attracs SHIELD to him, and allow him to do something if he looses his bow.

I took the drinks tab thing as a kind of Joke, like he and Fury were tha Bad *****es of the organization, and it said they were bringing down what was left of the Soviet Union, implying that even though the USSR wasn't the government in Russia, it still exsisted, so it implies that work was done in the nineties for the end of the Soviet Union. If his dad and gradfather can't be SHIELD, then they can certainly be war vets.

I was under the impression that Callum was the oldest, because he was still up and the other two were asleep. The girl was the youngest wasn't she? They still hadn't finalized her godfather, for her baptism or whatever. Then again the other boy looked younger than the girl when they did a close up of the kids just before Hawkeye left for Norway.

Hawkeye101 said:
Yeah, they also had to falsify his background to the public remember, so what people have said, doesn't nessisaril;y mean it is gospel. Remember Betty Ross said that and she's in charge of public relations so she may have gotten the falsified version. And I needed Hawkeye to have some kind of 'natural' abilities that attracs SHIELD to him, and allow him to do something if he looses his bow.

But we weren't privy to the public's view of his background, just the other members of the Ultimates. Thus I doubt his background was faked for their sake. Could be, but I doubt it seeing as how everyone else's past is known to them except for Thor's or Black Widow's, and I guarantee Fury knows the real deal for all the members.

I took the drinks tab thing as a kind of Joke, like he and Fury were tha Bad *****es of the organization, and it said they were bringing down what was left of the Soviet Union, implying that even though the USSR wasn't the government in Russia, it still exsisted, so it implies that work was done in the nineties for the end of the Soviet Union.

I don't think it implied the Soviet Union was at all still in power in the late 1990's. You keep assuming everyone is much younger than they actually are. How old did you say Hawkeye was again, like 27? There's no way, he's much older, in his early to mid 30's at least. That would fit better with the fall of the Soviet Union in the early 90's.

If his dad and gradfather can't be SHIELD, then they can certainly be war vets.

This is definitly true.

I was under the impression that Callum was the oldest, because he was still up and the other two were asleep. The girl was the youngest wasn't she? They still hadn't finalized her godfather, for her baptism or whatever. Then again the other boy looked younger than the girl when they did a close up of the kids just before Hawkeye left for Norway.

You could be right, I can't remember and am too lazy to go look, I just didn't think he was the oldest but I'm probably wrong on that one.

DIrishB said:
I don't think it implied the Soviet Union was at all still in power in the late 1990's. You keep assuming everyone is much younger than they actually are. How old did you say Hawkeye was again, like 27? There's no way, he's much older, in his early to mid 30's at least. That would fit better with the fall of the Soviet Union in the early 90's.

No, no, no. I think you miss interpreted what I was trying to say. Hawkeye spacifically says "SHIELD was just you, me, and a drinks tab trying to bring down what was left of the Soviet Union." This says to me, that even though the Soviet Union fell from power officially in 1990, there were still pockets of Soviet soldigers, or soviet bases and stuff (the beginnings of Ultimate Hydra?). And Hawk could be 26 (by my count). Why would Fury want him on the Ultimates if he wasn't some kind of prodigy. The youngest American Agent or whatever. It works. I was under the impression in 'Homeland Security' that Hawkeye and Laura were teen lovers and accidentally started a family, because at that point Laura was only Hawk's girlfriend.

P.S. please keep critiquing this, I find it vey helpful

Hawkeye101 said:
None of you seem to have a problem with Captain America becoming an actual super-human, or Black Widow being peak human to explain their feats. What's the prob with Hawkeye having something?

*sob*

Let me answer you with a question: What's the problem with him just being really good at archery?

WHY DOES EVERYTHING NEED TO BE EXPLAINED TO THE NTH DEGREE?!?!?!?!?! :roll:

UltimateE said:

What's with the Loeb bashing? He's done plenty of good comics in his time. Some of his Bat comics are some of my favorite stories.

And, no offense Hawkeye, but I agree with DIrishB and E. It would feel forced if Hawkeye were anything other than simply a great marksman. That's why UIM gets a bad rap. . .because there was no need to explain Tony's intelligence. (Although, Ellis has referenced Tony as a "double brained freak" in Nightmare. I think that was before UIM. . .strange, no?)

Lynx said:
What's with the Loeb bashing? He's done plenty of good comics in his time. Some of his Bat comics are some of my favorite stories.

I didn't think I was bashing him...I honestly have no problem with the guy. I'm just saying he's no Mark Millar.

UltimateE said:
I didn't think I was bashing him...I honestly have no problem with the guy. I'm just saying he's no Mark Millar.

My mistake then. I just hate it when people get on Loeb's case saying he's crap and such, especially when he's done a lot of good work. But, you're right, he's no MM.

Lynx said:
My mistake then. I just hate it when people get on Loeb's case saying he's crap and such

Yep, that was Bass that said that. :wink:

Latest posts

Back