Why we get the comics we love

Nurhachi

I was wanting to make this thread so we can say what comics we collect and give reasons for the top 3 WHY we like them. Also, list it from your favourite comic to least. People who are looking for new comics to collect should read this to get a good idea on what comics to get.

1) SUPREME POWER

The only comic book that has fully taken my breath away. At first I didnt like the thought of a "Squadron Supreme" comic. But I gave Volume 1 a go and after I read through it, It actually took my breath away. I remember putting it down and thinking "wow, wat a $%@#%ing awesome read." LOTS of character development, goverment conspiricies and great art! Also the fight scenes with Nighthawk are the best ever.

2) NEW AVENGERS

I wasnt too sure about this to begin with, but somehow, Bendis made it work. Lots of villains brought in from other comics, big events, character development and good writing. I love the new lineup and there new headquarters, love the interaction between the New Avengers, and cant wait for the Spidey/Wolverine interaction. (not to mention the Aunt May/Jarvis interaction)

3) MARVEL KNIGHTS SPIDER-MAN

This is the kind of comic I always dreamed about when i was a kid. All of spideys villains coming together to make his life a living hell. I fully geeked out when Venom auctioned off his costume. Loved how Scorpion was the mystery guy, and the new Venom. And the first arc with Electro and Vulture was excellent. Nice seeing Black Cat too.

4) ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN
5) ULTIMATES 2
6) ULTIMATE X-MEN
7) NEW THUNDERBOLTS
8.) ASTONISHING X-MEN
9)ULTIMATE GALACTUS TRILOGY
10) ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR
11)AMAZING SPIDER-MAN
12)SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN

I'm going to be lazy and only do one or two at a time.

Exiles

This series has so much potential for fantastic alternate reality stories and, almost every time, lives up to them. This is one place where Austen did decent work and Winick has been phenomenal. Its not afraid to kill characters because it moves on in the next issue or two, the use of the different characters makes you not worry about losing the character developement during a roster shuffle, its just got such great stories and continues to have explore so many phenomenal concepts that I can't understand why more people aren't reading it.

Is that your favourite title Cad? can you write all the titles that you collect from your favourite to worste? you dont have to write bios on them yet but can you just list em.

BTW Exiles sounds so good. Dammit comic shop, hurryyyy and get em!

Nurhachi said:
Is that your favourite title Cad? can you write all the titles that you collect from your favourite to worste? you dont have to write bios on them yet but can you just list em.

BTW Exiles sounds so good. Dammit comic shop, hurryyyy and get em!

Yeah, thats a favourite. I'm not getting anything at the moment (Stupid country, uninterested in comics and putting enormous costs on the shipping :evil: ) but Exiles was pretty much my fave of the ones I was getting at home.

I really won't choose between a few of my other titles but here are some

Nyx- This mini had so much potential and damn Quesada killed it by not shipping it on time. There was like a 5 month delay waiting for issue 4, longer for 5 and 6 and 7 still aren't out now. 1 and 2 came out in November and December 2003, 3 came out in Feb 2004, 4 was in July and 5 came out towards the end of last year. The premise is fantastic, a real untapped niche (This was a while before District X started). What about the mutants who lived on the streets, not the really powerful ones, just the ones who aren't accepted by their families. It focused on the main character who had visions where her father, a police officer gunned down in front of her years ago, would appear and send her to places she was needed. It was originally an ongoing but when the delays killed the sales, it was dropped back to a limited series. It was fantastically written and while the art varied, much of it was very good, it was the time when X-23 was cool. Good days.

Ultimate X-men- Personal fave. Most of you know why because your here

New X-men (Morrisons)- I did not manage to collect this in its entirety but I did read it all and almost every aspect of it blew me away. Phenomenal stuff, completely altered the X-verse and paved the way for writers like Whedon to make changes without being to controversial.

New X-men (Academy X)- The epitome of teen angst. Actually written so the charcters are relatively like teenagers, continued from New Mutants series II. This love-shape describes it all. Laurie is in love with Josh. Josh is dating Laurie but he is also dating Rahne Sinclair, a teacher aid. Wither is in love with Laurie but can't touch her because she will die, Mercury is in love with Wither and is the only person he can touch, Noriko is in love with David who won't ever notice, Sofia is in love with Julian, Julian seems to be in love with sofia but may not be and J Guthrie is also in love with Laurie. To give you an idea of the writing, this entire shebabble actually makes perfect sense. Defillips and Weir are writing this so damn well. I'm also very excited about the Hellions mini-series coming out of this.

Caduceus said:
New X-men (Academy X)- The epitome of teen angst. Actually written so the charcters are relatively like teenagers, continued from New Mutants series II. This love-shape describes it all. Laurie is in love with Josh. Josh is dating Laurie but he is also dating Rahne Sinclair, a teacher aid. Wither is in love with Laurie but can't touch her because she will die, Mercury is in love with Wither and is the only person he can touch, Noriko is in love with David who won't ever notice, Sofia is in love with Julian, Julian seems to be in love with sofia but may not be and J Guthrie is also in love with Laurie. To give you an idea of the writing, this entire shebabble actually makes perfect sense. Defillips and Weir are writing this so damn well. I'm also very excited about the Hellions mini-series coming out of this.
Sounds confusing, lol, jeez i couldnt even remeber all that

Nurhachi said:
Sounds confusing, lol, jeez i couldnt even remeber all that

But if you had read it, it would make perfect and complete sense to you. Its a realy good series for character developement and its interesting to see how some of the characters develope. My only complaint is the way they are writing Emma Frost who spends all her time making Danielle Moonstar look bad. She's really one dimensional in this book. That is about the only problem I can think of, except the art is sometimes very bubble-boob.

Ricky's Top Three Comic Books

1. Supreme Power

It's hard to say why I love this book. Not because I can't think of anything good, but because I can think of too many good things. The characters are very well writen, showing distinct personalities. The plots are interesting, because they deal with real problems, not with the villain of the weak, which I've come to find pretty boring. It's fun to read, witty, intelligent.
It's one of the few super-hero comics that people I know not interested in super-heroes at all will read. And enjoy.

2. The Ultimates

Good characterizations, pseude-realistic science, politically motivated plots.
The main characters don't put on silly costumes and fight silly villains in the streets. They are soldiers, more or less. They are agents of the U.S. government, who pays them to be super-heroes. The book broke the conventions of traditional super-heroes and put them into a more realistic setting. It makes the characters more believable.

3. Watchmen

It's 20 years old, but it blew away my mind, when I read it two weeks ago.
I think it's the first piece of actual literature I'v seen in comics. It is not easily accessable, but it's tremendous if you can access it.

Well then my favorite titles are

1-Ultimates
I was never really a fan of the Avengers, but the Ultimates kick booty. I love the way almost all of the them are out of their minds. I love the fights and how brutal The Hulk. The way Miller shows him to be more of a villain I suppose you guys already know that or you wouldn't be here.

2-Wolverine
I know he's everywhere but I still love him. The whole Wolverine vs. The Marvel Universe is one of the coolest things ever. It shows how flexible Wolverine and how he fits in everywhere, not saying he should. Plus Wolverine vs. all those ninjas was awesome.

3-Ultimate Spider-Man
What can I say this book is hilarious.

4-Identity Crisis
5-Superman
6-Astonishing X-men
7-Ultimate Fantastic Four
8-Green Latern - Rebirth
9-X-men The End
10-Ultimate Nightmare

1. Daredevil's the best book out there...

2. The Ultimates

3-4. Ultimate Spider-Man/Ultimate X-Men (can't decide)

5. Y: The Last Man

6. Cable/Deadpool

7. Ultimate Fantastic Four

8. Runaways

9. Incredible Hulk

That's all I read. Only included Ongoing titles. Secret War would've been up there though.

Ultimate X-Men:
Because no matter how old they draw her, Rogue is always stacked.

Ultimate Spider-Man:
See above. Substitute Mary Jane or Black Cat for Rogue.

Ultimates/Ultimates 2:
See above. Substitute Black Widow for Rogue.

Last edited:
jtg3885 said:
Ultimate X-Men:
Because no matter how old they draw her, Rogue is always stacked.

Ultimate Spider-Man:
See above. Substitute Mary Jane or Black Cat for Rogue.

Ultimates/Ultimates 2:
See above. Substitute Black Widow for Rogue.

hahaha. You are all that is man

Latest posts

Back