Why Wednesday?

MaxwellSmart

Since I started buying comic books, I've wondered why they're released on Wednesday. Does anyone know why Wednesday? I've asked friends and they've never been able to give me an answer. The only logical idea I could come up with was that they're shipped on Mondays and arrive at comic shops 2 days later. It might be one of those things without a reasonable answer, like why do gas prices all end with 9/10 of a cent(in the U.S.)?

Gas prices end with 9/10th of a cent in US so they can get away with saying there prices are only 2.35 when in reality they are 2.36

Marketing

Wednesday I have no clue, just like how movies and DVD's come out on Tuesday

I thought movies get released in America on Friday?

I have no real idea why Wednesday is the comic shipping day, but perhaps its so that disposable income from the 15-29 age bracket gets spent on comics before Hollywood robs them two days later?

ourchair said:
I thought movies get released in America on Friday?

Generally they do. DVDs and music CDs come out Tuesdays.

Once in a while movies will be released on a Wednesday or Thursday depending on the time of year. But a vast majority are on Friday.

Books come out on Tuesday as well.

Wednesday is when magazines are shipped, and thus are traditionally when comics would be shipped too.

*works at a bookstore that sells magazines and books, so... yup*

I believe, back from my heady university days, that 'Wednesday' in latin roughly translates into 'coyote blood', which, when translated back into Turkish, through to French, Flemish and Swahili, and then back to English, reads as 'comicus dayi'.

I worked at a rental shop and we would get the new movies on a thursday I think and put them on the shelves tuesday I think. Thats so more people would show up on tuesday, we also had specials on Monday Wednsday and Thurs to bring people in, Since they usually come on the weekend.

And I assume its the same, to spreadd business out throughout the week, And Wednsday is the middle of the week.

The reason comics come out on Wednesday's is because the geeks will inherit the earth. All comic book nerds love Wednesdays because it's comic book day and LOST, and everybody else dreads Wednesday because the week is only at its middle and LOST only confuses them. Therefore, on 4/4/44, every non-comic reader will kill themselves, because a) geeks have better lives than them and b) they don't want to go see Fantastic Four 4.

FACT.

icemastertron said:
It's Wednesday because Jack Bauer said so.

FACT.

Tell them the REAL story behind it though.....

Originally...comics were gonna be released on Fridays. But one Wednesday morning Jack Bauer couldn't take the pressure of waiting 3 more days to find out what happens to Jean Grey. So he challenged Jesus to an arm-wrestling contest for say over what day comics would be released (as Jesus was cool with it being on Fridays.........he says it gave him something to read over the weekend on the Jon).

Needless to say.......Our Savior lost. :wink:

Jack Bauer got home later that afternoon.

Chuck Norris: Everything went like planned?

Jack Bauer: Yes my lord.

The great white fighter smiled. Kack Bauer smiled too because that was a sign he would live 24 hours more.
Chuck Norris was happy, his plan had worked and the Earth was saved again.

Ultimate Quicksilver said:
Jack Bauer got home later that afternoon.

Chuck Norris: Everything went like planned?

Jack Bauer: Yes my lord.

The great white fighter smiled. Kack Bauer smiled too because that was a sign he would live 24 hours more.
Chuck Norris was happy, his plan had worked and the Earth was saved again.
Chuck then moved a chess peice and stared across the vast and cold universe.

CHUCK: The gears, ... They turn.

Latest posts

Back