Will Ult. Iron Man 2 be better or worse than the first mini?

Will Ult. Iron Man 2 be better or worse than the first mini?

• Better

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Worse

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • The Bass Option

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
Issue 1 was good. Issue rest was crap.
I didn't even read Issue 2 until three months after it hit the stands, because I hated number 1 so bad. I thought it squandered the idea and going back to Tony's childhood was just ill-conceived and unimaginative.

jeremiahvedder said:
It appears as though I'm in the Ultimate Minority of actually liking the first mini.

Huh.
Actually, you're only a minority in this board. We may take a piss on Ultimate Iron Man all the time, but that opinion seems to actually be a minority itself.

Just reread Ultimate Iron Man 1 in preparation for volume 2 !!!

Its actually not bad at all !!

Im looking forward to seeing what happens next in the story !!

I absolutely hate obi-wanker and can't wait to see the wee git buy it big style !!

Should be plenty of proper Iron-Man action in the next volume so my vote is for better !!

Angry gibbering monkeys rule :lol:

It appears as though I'm in the Ultimate Minority of actually liking the first mini.

I enjoyed it.

NANOMONKEYS!!!!!!!!

How would you like it if you had a comic book made based on you. Then suddenly this 'critially acclaimed' fellow turned up to write an epic tale about you, that would be awesome. Then he bent your character over a table and made it his happy fun toy for the night? You would like that would you? Because thats how Tony Stark feels. He felt so crappy because of it he started Civil War and became a jerk off.

Last edited:
I can allow it a bit of leeway due to the fact Tony was either not alive or a kid for much of the series !!

I wasn't expecting him to be flying around repulsoring everyone in sight while still in nappys either !!

Screwed up or not, it's decent !!! the only problem has been the wait between volumes !!

mmmwaaaahhhaaahhaa :lol: :lol:

I agree. It's not bad at all.

It's terrible.

It's a plague.

It's an embarrassment.

Okay. Now let's be clear, here. The issue that everyone on UC has is basically one not of the execution of the mini, but the concept, the story. Right? The writing was not bad for the story it told. The art was fine. Most of you take issue with the idea of 616 Tony's being a normal guy who's created an extraordinary situation for himself by building the armor. In making Ultimate Tony a mutant with super intelligence and nano...skin, it robs him of the coolness of having been a regular joe. So, that means that finding it bad is dependent on the context of being familiar with the original interpretation.

It's like the old problem of movie adaptations of other media. Like books. Some will hate the movie because of what it did or did not do only in relation to the book they know and love. That does not mean it is a bad movie. The script is not bad, the acting is not bad, the direction, etc. The perception of its badness is purely predicated on the original property. People who've not read the book can enjoy or not enjoy it purely on its own merit.

So does that make it a bad movie? A bad comic? That's hard to say. Ult Iron Man is certainly not a bad comic in the same way that, say, Ghost Rider, or Ultimate Power is.

My point is: bad idea? Possibly. But only through the knowledge of the other Tony. And for some that might be enough. Bad comic overall? Debatable.

<ducks>

Last edited:
Okay. Now let's be clear, here. The issue that everyone on UC has is basically one not of the execution of the mini, but the concept, the story. Right? The writing was not bad for the story it told. The art was fine. Most of you take issue with the idea of 616 Tony's being a normal guy who's created an extraordinary situation for himself by building the armor. In making Ultimate Tony a mutant with super intelligence and nano...skin, it robs him of the coolness of having been a regular joe. So, that means that finding it bad is dependent on the context of being familiar with the original interpretation.

It's like the old problem of movie adaptations of other media. Like books. Some will hate the movie because of what it did or did not do only in relation to the book they know and love. That does not mean it is a bad movie. The script is not bad, the acting is not bad, the direction, etc. The perception of its badness is purely predicated on the original property. People who've not read the book can enjoy or not enjoy it purely on its own merit.

So does that make it a bad movie? A bad comic? That's hard to say. Ult Iron Man is certainly not a bad comic in the same way that, say, Ghost Rider, or Ultimate Power is.

My point is: bad idea? Possibly. But only through the knowledge of the other Tony. And for some that might be enough. Bad comic overall? Debatable.

<ducks>

You're kinda hit and miss there.

Kubert's art wasnt bad at all. And some of the concepts and ideas they tried to introduce weren't all that bad.

The part where it really fell apart was the departure from the current timeline status quo that Millar introduced in Ultimates. Millar's idea was to take Tony Stark and make him Iron Man...and have everyone know that it's Iron Man from the get go. And that Tony Stark was just a normal genius with a drinking problem. Hell....I believe the drinking problem stemmed from the fact that it dulled the pain or itching of the nanites in his blood that allowed him to operate the IronTech. Not a drinking problem that stemmed from him drinking due to a recent fascination of alcohol.

There's more to it....but most of it's been said before.

Latest posts

Back