Wolverine...First. Class.

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
No, seriously.

It's Fred Van Lente day at Comics Should Be Good, and the writer stopped by for an exclusive chat about his latest project: "Wolverine First Class," featuring all-new adventures set in the X-Men's early days.

1. Please pitch the new series to me. What's the high concept?

This is why God gave us solicitation copy:

Return with us again to the early days of the X-Men for all-new adventures of Wolverine and Kitty Pryde! The next generation of students has arrived at Xavier's School — Colossus, Storm, Nightcrawler, and the mysterious Wolverine — and with them new teaching methods. Professor X pairs up green recruit Kitty Pryde with the been-everywhere, done-everything Logan, and neither of them are all that happy about it. But unless they learn to work together, neither of them will come back from their first mission together alive!

2. These adventures of Wolverine and Kitty are going to be "in Marvel continuity," right?

Yes, the first eight issues are set between X-MEN #139 and #150, so right after Jean Grey's funeral at the end of the Dark Phoenix Saga and right after Kitty Pryde shows up at Xavier's school. Cyclops has struck out on his own after Jean's death, leaving Storm the new leader.

What? Why? If they're going to use Wolverine, just stick him in First Class. Why create another series just to tell tales of Wolverine and the X-Men... they've already got X-Men: First Class and Wolverine: Origins... this is pointless.

What the ****? I am tempted to e-mail the writer and ask him what the hell he was thinking.

YES!:rockon: :rockon:

I wanted to read first class but couldn't do it as it had no Wolverine , now it has Wolverine , Moley has a new comic :D

What? Why? If they're going to use Wolverine, just stick him in First Class. Why create another series just to tell tales of Wolverine and the X-Men... they've already got X-Men: First Class and Wolverine: Origins... this is pointless.

What the ****? I am tempted to e-mail the writer and ask him what the hell he was thinking.
Wolverine never was in the REAL first class and I doubt they will change that.

So what is the official purpose of First Class now? At first it was just a limited number of fun, non-continuity (if I recall correctly) stories. It was made into an ongoing because it was so popular. Are these Wolverine stories going to be in the same, humorous vein, or is this going to be a second Wolverine: Origins title except riding on the coattails of the successful First Class rather than contaminated with the stink of failure and bad writing?

So what is the official purpose of First Class now? At first it was just a limited number of fun, non-continuity (if I recall correctly) stories. It was made into an ongoing because it was so popular. Are these Wolverine stories going to be in the same, humorous vein, or is this going to be a second Wolverine: Origins title except riding on the coattails of the successful First Class rather than contaminated with the stink of failure and bad writing?
X-Men: First class was originally supposed to be an ongoing. Then it was shortened to 8 issues. It was always in continuity. It tells (not retells) stories that have never been told from the old X-Men days when they first started. Then yes, it was made into an ongoing with volume 2.

This Wolverine one (if people read the article) says it's also going to be an 8 issue mini that will take place between Uncanny X-Men #139 and #150. It's starting after the Dark Phoenix Saga. This isn't like Wolverine Origins, as it's not actually going to "discover" any hidden secrets and what-have-you from Wolverine's past, but will be some 'untold tales' of Wolverine & Kitty between those set of issues.

They need to make a "Wolverine:heart:Kitty"

:lol:

I hope it's the former rather than the latter.

A funny Wolverine book sounds like a much better idea.

Seriously, I have no idea why Wolverine has to be so serious all the time. It's not like adding humor necessarily undercuts the character. WHY SO SERIOUS?

SSJmole said:
They need to make a "Wolverine:heart:Kitty"
:rockon:

And it doesn't have to be a romantic comedy, honestly.

It could just be Wolverine trying to be tough, cool and bad-*** while having some kid who is actually very smart and wise but kinda annoys him tag along. It's a classic Wolverine trope.

NNNNYYYYYAAAAARGGGGHHHH!!!!

It's a shame something as dumb as this got clearence for production, but i want to know is....

*takes off sunglasses*

how is wolverine supposed to guest star in this?

YYYYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

I remember Bill Jemas saying that this type of comic was unsatisfactory since it involves putting the characters into flares and bell-bottoms, having them say "groovy", and restricts story capabilities.

That's why they made the Ultimate universe.

Why is Marvel going backwards?

Newsarama speaks with Fred Van Lente

While fans of Fred Van Lente will be joining him for a smashin' series of adventures with Incredible Hercules soon, the fan-favorite writer is also inviting you to: "Return with us again to the early days of the X-Men for all-new solo adventures of Wolverine and Kitty Pryde! Professor X pairs up green recruit Kitty Pryde with the been-everywhere, done-everything Logan, and neither of them are all that happy about it. But unless they learn to work together, neither of them will come back from their first mission together alive!"

Van Lente will be joined by artist Andrea Di Vito when Wolverine: First Class debuts in March. Just like Jeff Parker's X-Men: First Class, Wolverine: First Class will be set within the continuity of Marvel's mutants' past but the stories will not be re-inventing the wheel. However, do expect to experience old-school vibe mixed with an upbeat sense of hope and triumph in the stories.

We spoke with Van Lente about pairing Wolverine up with Kitty Pryde in Wolverine: First Class.

Newsarama: How did this project come about? Were you approached to do this? Or did you pitch it to Marvel?

Fred Van Lente
: Marvel approached me to do it not too long ago. A bunch of writers pitched their concepts, and I was pleased that mine was the one that got greenlit.

NRAMA: How closely will it tie to the upcoming Wolverine and the X-Men animated series?

FVL: Since this is the first I'm hearing of the TV show's existence, not at all!

you know if this was Marvel Adventures Wolverine i wouldn't have a problem with this

but the title First Class makes no sense, in X-Men First Class they are literally the first class of X-Men

wolverine is technically Second Class (i wouldn't define him like that though), and Kitty is i guess 3rd or 2.5nd class

the title makes no damn sense

you know if this was Marvel Adventures Wolverine i wouldn't have a problem with this

but the title First Class makes no sense, in X-Men First Class they are literally the first class of X-Men

wolverine is technically Second Class (i wouldn't define him like that though), and Kitty is i guess 3rd or 2.5nd class

the title makes no damn sense
My thoughts exactly.

Latest posts

Back