Wolverine: Origin II (Gillen/Kubert)

He has something with Boom studios, I believe. He's had problems with DC and Marvel, so he's working with indie companies now.

boo. His Spider-Man stuff from the early-mid 2000s was some of the best I've ever read! (Not when it was crossing over with Howard Mackie, but the rest of it).

Well, Paul Jenkins sure won't write it now. :lol:

But seriously, I don't think Gillen is mediocre and of course Marvel doesn't see him that way either. And I don't think this series is as major as you say. The first Origins, mini, yeah- that was a major event.

boo. His Spider-Man stuff from the early-mid 2000s was some of the best I've ever read! (Not when it was crossing over with Howard Mackie, but the rest of it).

I think Jenkins is a little less mediocre than Gillen. He's had his moments good and bad...the first Sentry level was brilliant even if it was totally derivative of Miracleman. But his Second Sentry series and his Civil War stuff was AWFUL. His Inhumans series is pretty well regarded - I've never read it myself.

I thought his Origin series was pretty decent.

I read the first issue. And I liked it.

He wasn't kidding when he said there really wouldn't be much in the way of superheroics. I'm totally OK with that - the first Origin had none and this has the same feel to it.

It did a really good job of setting the stage for...something. I think I can tell that it set the stage for something without knowing what that something is. It seemed like it did.

Anyway, I'll keep on it.

Did anyone else end up reading this? I just read it today in one sitting. It was pretty cool. Nice twist at the end.

I did and it was...okay. It wasn't as strong as the first series but I do like this style of book better than the typical X-Men or Wolverine story.

I did and it was...okay. It wasn't as strong as the first series but I do like this style of book better than the typical X-Men or Wolverine story.

I agree with this.

Yeah, I agree too.

I liked the way they introduced Sabretooth and the birthday tradition. It's easy to look good when you compare it to some of the other Wolverine stuff I've read, like the Wolverine: Origins ongoing series, which was just a huge mess and very dumb.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree too.

I liked the way they introduced Sabretooth and the birthday tradition. It's easy to look good when you compare it to some of the other Wolverine stuff I've read, like the Wolverine: Origins ongoing series, which was just a huge mess and very dumb.

I didn't read enough of Origins to get to the "huge mess" part but I couldn't get interested in what I did read because it just read as a meaningless cash grab.

That and wasn't it drawn by Steve Dillon? That guy is the worst.

I didn't read enough of Origins to get to the "huge mess" part but I couldn't get interested in what I did read because it just read as a meaningless cash grab.

Yeah, Steve Dillon was the main artist, at least starting into the series, for Wolverine: Origins.

The artist changed a couple of times. I read it on the marvel comics unlimited app, but only got through it by sheer force of will. It turns out that all of Wolverine's suffering in his life was caused by Romulus. The mythological character who was raised by wolves and founded Rome. He was working behind the scenes in all of Wolverine's life to cause him grief and make him stronger.

That and the sequence of events was messed up. Itsu (Daken's mom) was killed by the Winter Soldier, immediately after which Wolverine went to Russia and met a young Natasha Romanova. But later it was established that Logan, Cap, Bucky, and Black Widow all teamed up during World War II.

I thought this was leaps and bounds over the first one. First one felt like it was written by editors rather than a writer.

The artist changed a couple of times. I read it on the marvel comics unlimited app, but only got through it by sheer force of will. It turns out that all of Wolverine's suffering in his life was caused by Romulus. The mythological character who was raised by wolves and founded Rome. He was working behind the scenes in all of Wolverine's life to cause him grief and make him stronger.

That and the sequence of events was messed up. Itsu (Daken's mom) was killed by the Winter Soldier, immediately after which Wolverine went to Russia and met a young Natasha Romanova. But later it was established that Logan, Cap, Bucky, and Black Widow all teamed up during World War II.

Ugh. Glad I missed that. That sounds awful and stupid.

Latest posts

Back