Wonder Woman's Future

I think Hiketia is good and has art by JG Jones. It's got a fight of WW batman, and was before Rucka's run on her, so pretty stand alone.

I think DC wanted to try and make cool arty fights between the big three, They did batman/superman in Hush, and Superman/WW in For tommorow, which are both Jim Lee. I think Jim Lee should do a 10 issue stand alone story with someone on Wonder woman too.... and Green Lantern...and Flash...I want to see them fight.

I just read all four pages (and one post) of this thread...and I love it.

I agree.

Why can't I read this Wonder Woman book?

As well as fighting for truth, WW should be fighting for peace.

Now the JLU from the first season featuring WW wasn't the best but it had some intereting ideas. I liked the idea of Ares using his shape changing powers to promote war and conflict, it makes him a villain who has both brawn and brains. Ares could his powers to upgrade some of WW's other foes,. Now someone dr. poison may not be able to pose a direct threat to wW, but her poisoning two diplomats trying to solve a civil war and incriminating one of the factions, that could make her a real threat.

Also shouldn't WW be doing more for women in the developing world? Sure its unfair that women don't make as much money as men in the West, but the fact that some women who are raped in the developing world are arrested for adultery, is a million times worse.

Last edited:
We don't need this thread anymore. Gail Simone's Wonder Woman is awesome.
Really? Because if the first two issues are as "awesome" as Wonder Woman comics get I'm gonna have to go ahead and drop the title. I only started picking this series up because of the buzz about Gail Simone taking over, but I have been severely underwhelmed by the first two issues.

Really? Because if the first two issues are as "awesome" as Wonder Woman comics get I'm gonna have to go ahead and drop the title. I only started picking this series up because of the buzz about Gail Simone taking over, but I have been severely underwhelmed by the first two issues.

really? I haven't managed to pick up the second issue yet, but I thought the first was quite good.

That said, it's the first issue, and maybe I have different expectations than you. What I see is a lot of potential for the character. Wonder Woman as a warrior (which is what she should be. Batman's the soldier. Superman's the sentinel) who wins armies to her side with compassion. I see a lot of potential for her to rebuild Themiscryia as a nation, which is the direction I've been shouting for since the island disappearing thing. and I trust Simone to have the secret behind The Circle be something exceptional. It doesn't hurt that the dialogue is top-notch (and it always is with Simone).

Although, she did basically recycle the Head schtick from Atom.

really? I haven't managed to pick up the second issue yet, but I thought the first was quite good.

That said, it's the first issue, and maybe I have different expectations than you. What I see is a lot of potential for the character. Wonder Woman as a warrior (which is what she should be. Batman's the soldier. Superman's the sentinel) who wins armies to her side with compassion. I see a lot of potential for her to rebuild Themiscryia as a nation, which is the direction I've been shouting for since the island disappearing thing. and I trust Simone to have the secret behind The Circle be something exceptional. It doesn't hurt that the dialogue is top-notch (and it always is with Simone).

Although, she did basically recycle the Head schtick from Atom.
I think the fault for me personally might lie in a complete lack of interest in the character. I never cared about Wonder Woman. I've never picked up an issue of her series before this. And I only started when Gail came on board because of the hype.

But so far I hate the secret agent angle. It seems forced. I don't buy that she would want to pretend to be normal given her past and having her work a job that is every bit as involved in superheroics/villainy as her spandex time takes away the point of a secret identity. Either have her stay as Wonder Woman all the time or have her take a legitimate shot at a normal life away from the star spangled panties.

I agree that the dialogue is good, but I have little to no interest in the vast majority of these characters. Which again is probably my own deal and not Gail's fault.

I'm going to stick around for the remainder of the first arc, but if it doesn't grab me by then I'll drop it.

I can't think of a comic written by Gail Simone that I've liked.

Maybe this is good, I dunno. I've not looked.

McCheese, I too, don't care for Wonder Woman. If you can find him talking about it somewhere, or you get the chance to meet him, Adam Hughes loves her and can tell you why she's great in less than 30 minutes. I didn't think it would be possible, but hell, I love his take on Wonder Woman.

I can't think of a comic written by Gail Simone that I've liked.

Maybe this is good, I dunno. I've not looked.

McCheese, I too, don't care for Wonder Woman. If you can find him talking about it somewhere, or you get the chance to meet him, Adam Hughes loves her and can tell you why she's great in less than 30 minutes. I didn't think it would be possible, but hell, I love his take on Wonder Woman.
I'd love to hear that.

I wouldn't do it justice.

Also, rereading my post, I realised that I could have been talking about the A-TEAM.

"If you can find him, or you get the chance to meet him, maybe you can talk to - the A-TEAM! Doo doo doo! Doo doo doo."

Adam Hughes said:
My take on Wonder Woman is that she's the perfect woman, but perfect characters are boring. It's the weaknesses that make people interesting. Superman running through the criminal world, with bullets bouncing off of him saying, 'It tickles!' - that's not as interesting as it is when Superman gets to the villains' lair, and the bad guy whips out a piece of Kryptonite, and Superman's weakness now must come into play.

Wonder Woman's this perfect character, so her weakness can't make her look like a bad person, or even a weak character, really, and I came up with insatiable curiosity. All of my favorite, larger than life, fictitious characters seem to come from farms, and they all seem to have what I think is called a Dorothy complex – they have everything they need at home, but they want to see over the rainbow. That's it with Wonder Woman – she lives in the perfect place – and she wants to go to man's world, and meet people, and talk to strangers, and learn their ways. I thought, in the hands of a writer who's halfway decent, that insatiable curiosity, that Marco Polo, 'I have to see the world' kind of thing, could get any character into a world of trouble. She has this insatiable need to know and see the world. She's Dorothy Gale, She's Luke Skywalker, she's James Kirk – she wants to get off the farm.

There's a difference between curiosity and naiveté. Wonder Woman standing in the middle of traffic asking, 'What's a car?' is not what I'm talking about. She's out somewhere, in strange new lands, meeting new people, and while she's there, she needs to slay a dragon…or something. She's almost addicted to learning new things. Anybody else would look at her and think she was perfect – wise, strong, beautiful, but she's like a mental anorexic, and would be thinking, 'I haven't learned Japanese yet.' But there's no pessimism – there just aren't enough hours in the day to learn all the new things in the world. That's where her fascination of man's world comes from – it's so big and wide open – there's just so much. Where she's going to get into trouble is that…there are certain things we do in man's world that they don't do on Paradise Island. Likewise, she's never seen a baby…or an old woman. Somewhere in amongst all of that, the stories start to write themselves.

Everything Wonder Woman says and does makes the world a better place. If you ask her to pass the salt at the dinner table, she'd do it in a way that would make you think, 'Gosh darn it, I am going to go back and finish college!' She could cure cancer with a smile. She's this positive, outspoken person, so her companion [Steve Trevor] for the story will be this laid-back, laconic, cowboy poet of a pilot who balances her completely. Again - it's not a story about a superhero, it's about a princess from a foreign country coming to America, and her handler/tour guide is the Marlboro Man.

You see what I mean? Brilliant character. I love this guy.

Here's the full thing with funny pictures.

Last edited:
I love the whole:

"Could you pass the salt?"
*Wonder Woman says something magical*
"... Gosh darn it! I'm going to finish college!"

:lol:

Adam told me a number of beautiful character moments for Wonder Woman. I'd tell you them, but I can't because one in particular, I loved SO much, I said, "Please tell me that's in the comic." He nodded and said in his self-depreciating tone, "Yeah, I've put lots of character **** in there". :lol:

Basically, I can't tell you. But what I will say is that he's done this great thing of making Wonder Woman lovable ("I haven't learnt Japanese yet") and yet, there's some brilliant action scenes in it.

My whole view of Wonder Woman has changed because of this man, which is why I brought it up, because I too, thought she was fundamentally dull.

Sounds like he's got a good grasp on WW. Is he a good writer, though? I've only seen his beautiful artwork.

Adam told me a number of beautiful character moments for Wonder Woman. I'd tell you them, but I can't because one in particular, I loved SO much, I said, "Please tell me that's in the comic." He nodded and said in his self-depreciating tone, "Yeah, I've put lots of character **** in there". :lol:

Basically, I can't tell you. But what I will say is that he's done this great thing of making Wonder Woman lovable ("I haven't learnt Japanese yet") and yet, there's some brilliant action scenes in it.

My whole view of Wonder Woman has changed because of this man, which is why I brought it up, because I too, thought she was fundamentally dull.
Well I'm certainly intrigued.

Sounds like he's got a good grasp on WW. Is he a good writer, though? I've only seen his beautiful artwork.

One of the comics I adore is GEN 13. However, only two people actually wrote good stories for GEN 13. GEN 13 was a very popular comic in its time, the sexy, younger version of X-Men, I suppose. Adam Warren wrote some great stories, as did Adam Hughes. (Adam + Gen13 = Greatness apparently)

Adam (Hughes) did loads of pin-ups and what not, but he did three stories for GEN 13:

GEN 13: ORDINARY HEROES is a two-issue mini he wrote and drew. It, in his own words, "doesn't suck". It doesn't at all, I like it muchly, and am very fond of it.

SUPERMAN/GEN 13 is a three-issue mini which he wrote, and was meant to draw, but a huge SNAFU on DC's end meant someone else drew it. The artist, Lee Bermejo is really good and does a great job. Regardless, the story is really funny.

GEN13: WHAM! A TALE is an 11-page short story which is just really funny, about Caitlin's origin told by Roxy.

I love all three. You can pick them up, the ORDINARY HEROES tpb has WHAM!, some pin-ups, and (annoyingly) some stupid-*** Alan Davis Gen13 comic. (Remember - Adam + Gen13 = Greatness, otherwise, avoid. It needs an Adam people!)

That's not all! He was going to do a TOMB RAIDER comic, but it fell through. And others.

I'm fortunate enough to have talked to the guy several times - he's told me a bunch of stories and honestly; he's ****ing good. His fixes for THE PHANTOM MENACE and REVENGE OF THE SITH (hell, RETURN OF THE JEDI too) are just brilliant.

His real writing talent, in my opinion, is his ability to make you love what he loves.

I bring this up because for those of us who think "Wonder Woman is Superman with boobs" he's the best writer we could hope for.

I know the plot to his Wonder Woman story, and I think it's terrific. You guys may know me as someone who goes, "Already, at a conceptual level, this comic fails". Yeah, I couldn't find anything in his comic I'd go, "That needs changing". It's a gem of a story.

I really think it's going to be a big success that one.

Well I'm certainly intrigued.

I don't want to make a big thing out of it because I don't expect anyone to love the little moment I'm talking about like I do. It's just something I thought was awesome, something that resonated for me, but I don't expect everyone else to go "OMG!" or anything. :)

Latest posts

Back