Worldstorm Discussion (Spoilers)

I asked this earlier in the thread (and was promply ignored). Maybe i'll have better luck, this time:

How does the Gen-13 relaunch compare with Runaways?

I mean, I always thought both titles had a lot in common, from the very start, both in terms of overall themes (superpowered teens with parents involved in secretive conspiracy agenda), and the superficial composition of the team (introspective lesbian, typical whiteboy, hipster girl, etc.), so I figured that any update of the series would probably have a lot in common with Vaughn's book.

I really like Gen-13, in Runaways the characters had similars personalities, in Gen-13 they are really different from each other, they are only together to get out of that place (don't know the name of the company that gave them powers).

I asked this earlier in the thread (and was promply ignored). Maybe i'll have better luck, this time:

How does the Gen-13 relaunch compare with Runaways?

I mean, I always thought both titles had a lot in common, from the very start, both in terms of overall themes (superpowered teens with parents involved in secretive conspiracy agenda), and the superficial composition of the team (introspective lesbian, typical whiteboy, hipster girl, etc.), so I figured that any update of the series would probably have a lot in common with Vaughn's book.

The main difference between the 2 is that Runaways feels real. Each character is better fleshed out and given their own personality. The teens in GEN13 are a little bit more generic. As in "we like tacos, slushies and skaetboarding" generic.

Overall---Gen-13 is pretty entertaining. But it doesn't even begin to compare to Runaways.

Would somebody be so kind as to post a spoiler recap for Tranquility #1, for those of us who are still on the fence about buying it in single issues?

Tranquility#1

We open with a WWII-era flashback to one of the main characters of Tranquility, Minxy Millions. The flashback ends with a old "Is this the end of our beloved hero" cliffhanger.

Cut to today and we see Minxy flying her plane in synch to the old flashback. Minxy crashes a plane right in front of a news crew doing a special on the town. The local sherriff responds to the crash and save Minxy and her co-pilot (the sherriff's sister). Sherriff talks to the Mayor about getting Minxy grounded before she kills someone. Mayor tells her that ain't gonna happen because she's got too many friends in Washington.

You know what---I'm gonna get sidetracked by doing this....especially since I don't have the book in front of me.

So I'll just say this....
  • The town is a peaceful town with virtually no crime.
  • The news crew follow the sherrif around like a documentary.
  • Crew ends up at a diner where some young punk villain comes in.
  • A small fight erupts but is quickly squashed.
  • One of the participants is killed
  • To Be Continued....

Its worth a quick read.

The only Wildstorm series I'm reading are The Authority, Wildcats, Deathblow, and The Midnighter.

The Midnighter is awesome.

I'm all about the Authority, Gen-13, and Midnighter. I read WildC.A.T.S---but wasn't impressed. Same with Stormwatch and Deathblow.

I wish the Midnighter could be a bit more graphic. Not Ennis's "Punisher MAX" graphic.....but maybe Ennis's "The Boys" graphic. This Midnighter just seems more tame than his Authority counterpart. Much like Punisher's CW persona is more tame than his MAX character.

I liked it the best of the WildStorm relaunches so far. I DO know my WildStorm history, and it's surprising to see a few of the characters ("uhmmm, aren't you dead?") but I don't really care how or why they were brought back.
I DON'T know my WildStorm history (save for Wiki entries and some miscellaneous reads), but I guess that means I care just as little over the whys and hows of the return of old characters. Does that mean I would be able to appreciate on the same level?

I'm writing Issue #7 of MIDNIGHTER!

What, not what you were expecting? Sorry, I know there are a lot of crazy rumors going around the internet about my next projects, but if you didn't read it on bkv.tv, it just ain't true.

But yes, Midnighter! If you've read the first two issues, you know this is one of the best books Garth's ever written. During our recent disastrous shark-diving outing, Mr. Ennis preyed on my sea-dementia and tricked me into writing one issue of his excellent series, under the condition that I'd get to steal DARICK ROBERTSON, who I've wanted to collaborate with for years. Darick and I are using a pretty unique format for this done-in-one story, and it'll either be one of the coolest things we've ever pulled off or a complete effin' disaster.

Anyway, I know I'm a dirty sellout who vowed to take a break from "work for hire" books after I wrapped Doc Strange and Logan, but along with this Midnighter ish, I got one other offer for a four-issue gig that you wouldn't want me to turn down. Stay tuned.

But never fear, I've just about decided which of my all-new, creator-owned ideas I want to tackle post-Y:TLM, and while these books always have crazy long gestation periods, please know that the bun is officially in the oven.

More soon,
BKV

Awesome.

These first three issues of The Midnighter have been some of the best stuff Ennis has ever written. I am enjoying it so much. I loved when he aimed the tank at those future police.

As to the return of dead characters in WildStorm, I read somewhere that when Void rebooted everything in the Capt. Atom mini. She rebooted the universe to a time pre-WildC.A.T.s (vol.1) issue 1. So everything published before is officially non-existant.

As to the return of dead characters in WildStorm, I read somewhere that when Void rebooted everything in the Capt. Atom mini. She rebooted the universe to a time pre-WildC.A.T.s (vol.1) issue 1. So everything published before is officially non-existant.

That doesn't make any sense as some of these characters (particularly The Authority) weren't around before WildCATs 1.

Yeah, that doesn't really work, especially since ALOT of WildC.A.T.S. 3.0 has been used in the setup for the current run. For the returned Stormwatch characters Gage said that issue 5 or 6 will address them. As I've said before, most are easy to explain except for Fahrenheit.

So I just bought the first issues to all these series (except Gen13 and Welcome to Tranquility, which were still plentiful). I haven't read any yet though, but I'll weigh in when I do.

I'm a long time Wildstorm fan from long, long ago so I was initially resistent to getting these books. But I read the first two issues of the Captain Atom mini (I got them for a buck each but couldn't find issue 3 or 9 so I haven't continued beyond that) and it really reawaked my love for these characters and this universe, so I decided to give these books I shot. If nothing else, they have great writers.

Anywho, I'll see how they stack up to the past and in the meantime I'll use Wizard World Chicago and maybe Phildelphia to finish off my classic Wildstorm back issues. Should be able to get most of them on the cheap.

So I just bought the first issues to all these series (except Gen13 and Welcome to Tranquility, which were still plentiful). I haven't read any yet though, but I'll weigh in when I do.

I'm a long time Wildstorm fan from long, long ago so I was initially resistent to getting these books. But I read the first two issues of the Captain Atom mini (I got them for a buck each but couldn't find issue 3 or 9 so I haven't continued beyond that) and it really reawaked my love for these characters and this universe, so I decided to give these books I shot. If nothing else, they have great writers.

Anywho, I'll see how they stack up to the past and in the meantime I'll use Wizard World Chicago and maybe Phildelphia to finish off my classic Wildstorm back issues. Should be able to get most of them on the cheap.

This relaunch boils down to this. Stormwatch and Welcome to Tranquility are excellent. The rest are meh or late.

This relaunch boils down to this. Stormwatch and Welcome to Tranquility are excellent. The rest are meh or late.

Yeah, surprisingly the lateness actually helped convince me I could afford the books in the first place. Go unprofessionalism!

Oh well, like I say, I'm so into the universe and characters it's borderline ridiculous so I might enjoy them more than I should.

Yeah, surprisingly the lateness actually helped convince me I could afford the books in the first place. Go unprofessionalism!

Oh well, like I say, I'm so into the universe and characters it's borderline ridiculous so I might enjoy them more than I should.

Have you got to the Paris issue of Stormwatch yet? Its probably the best single from the line so far.

Have you got to the Paris issue of Stormwatch yet? Its probably the best single from the line so far.

No, I just got the first issue so far but I haven't read it yet. The only one I've read so far is Wildcats and I really liked it, but it apparently took place before the reboot? Is that what the Worldstorm is? I have no idea what's going on.

Anyway, regardless of the quality of the first issues I'll get another batch next week. The only issue my comic shop doesn't have is Gen13 3 and they're a huge chain so they should be able to find it pretty easily.

No, I just got the first issue so far but I haven't read it yet. The only one I've read so far is Wildcats and I really liked it, but it apparently took place before the reboot? Is that what the Worldstorm is? I have no idea what's going on.

I don't think anyones sure whats going on thier. And since WildC.A.T.S. #2 won't be out anytime soon (I really doubt they'll make the april ship date) I don't think we'll find out.

I am SO in love with the new Stormwatch and Midnighter books. Tranquility was a surprise for me, I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I am. I'm really disappointed with Wetworks, I'm giving it until issue 9 (original team comes back), if it doesn't get better, I'm off. Gen13...eh...took me a while to get into it the first two times, so I'm not killing myself to get it. I'm hoping Charest comes back to do Wildcats, I know it's Jim Lee's baby, but he's doing WAY too much crap. I need more Authority.

I'd love to see the return of Planetary.

I just can't get into Stormwatch. I'm trying....but I just can't.

Tranquility has been awesome. The only thing that bugs me is the old comic splashes they throw in there. Maybe I'm just dumb---but I find them to be completely useless. I did find it funny when they were running the tabloid and posed the question "Was He or Wasn't He?---And Old Lover Tells All......and It's A Him!". Then below the heading was Midnighter's face. :lol:

Gen13 has been solid. It's nothing to where you have to run out and get it----but it's better than Wetworks.

Midnighter has been solid too. I guess I'm not enjoying as much because it just seems to be tamer than "Authority Midnighter". It's like reading Punisher MAX....and then reading his normal 616 War Journal. It's just not the same.

The Authority #1 was pretty good. Wildcats #1 was bad. The Midnighter has ruled, except for the fill in artists. Welcome to Tranquility has been alright.

I haven't bothered with the rest.

Latest posts

Back