Would You Buy It?

Would you buy an online comic series?

• Yes, excellent idea!

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Maybe a few, but I wouldn't want it to overtake the REAL comic market

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I;d prefer a REAL comic, but wouldn't mind the occasional comic book on the internet

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • NO WAY! I'll have my comic books in my hands!

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

roguefan

helping myself to your chocolate biscuits
I don't know if this is the right place to put it, but still...

For my latest Business project in school, I have to find a 'gap in a market of my choice', and fil it to make a new/innovative product. What I see, is that, while publishers have talked about it, no one has really made an online comics publisher, where people pay to read full, 22-page (excluding ads) comic books. Now, this thread is mainly to do my survey part of the project (would you buy it/wouldn't you buy it etc). The whole point, is that you don't need to leave the comfort of your house to buy a comic. So... over to you.

PS: If my project goes well, me and my cousin are going to try and develop a suitable program to read the comics in full quality.

Last edited:
Hell yes i would, if it was worth it and cheap :D

In many countries people are dying to read comics, but we have to wait for years for them to get here. You got yourself a goldmine.

Last edited:
roguefan said:
PS: If my project goes well, me and my cousin are going to try and develop a suitable program to read the comics in full quality.
There are already programs that do that, there's simply no-one actually charging for it. The last thing I heard about this was the Dotcomics thing Marvel did a few years ago. With programs like Sequential Image Viewers, or hell, even Acrobat and .pdf files, its already feasible, but I doubt you could possibly create such a business without becoming part of marvel, and why would marvel try it again when it failed last time?

Well, when it comes to comic books, I prefer the actual comic or trade. But I've got nothing against reading an online one or a pdf one or something. With comic strips, though, I like reading them online.

Do people pay for stuff they can get for free? Not really.

I wouldn't, basically for the same reasons listed above.

There are ways to curb the piracy, but I don't think the price would be worth it. I'd rather have printed books in my hand.

Thanks for all your vies. I've usd all the data and put it in an Excel chart for my project, and this is what I wrote about it:

An online comics message board, Ultimate Central, helped me with my research, and I was able to discover what the people who will actually be reading these, the comic fans, really want.

From the results, I discovered that most people wouldn't mind reading a 1 or 2 comics online, but not all. 4 people were against the idea. 2 people were for the idea, and 2 wouldn't mind a few.

By the way, if this happened, it wouldn't have been already released comics. i would be me and my cousin creating a series and putting it online, and then getting a few other writers and artists. My cousins 19 and in a similar-style interent company, so is used to stuff like this.

There's a thread over at Millarworld on the related topic of scanned bootleg comics online, if you're interested. Later in the thread the conversation turns to the idea of comic companies actually making just-published copies of titles available for a fee.

Latest posts

Back