Would you live in 'The City' from Transmetropolitan?

The Johaan

I've been rereading Warren Ellis's Transmetropolitan, and I can't decide if given the chance whether I would actually want an apartment in the city the book takes place in.

The series has been classified as both cyberpunk and post-cyberpunk, the difference between the genres being the difference between dystopia and utopia.

Obviously, things like the increased lifespan, absence of cancer, existence of 'makers' and such luxuries would be great. But is it worth essentially no democracy and the incredible amounts of poverty that the New Scum have to deal with?

Interested in hearing others thoughts on this.

Heh, yeah...

I think I made the mistake of assuming lots of people have read Transmet, and not only remembered it but could discuss it's details as if it were still coming out monthly.

Best to let this thread die, probably.

I've been rereading Warren Ellis's Transmetropolitan, and I can't decide if given the chance whether I would actually want an apartment in the city the book takes place in.

The series has been classified as both cyberpunk and post-cyberpunk, the difference between the genres being the difference between dystopia and utopia.

Obviously, things like the increased lifespan, absence of cancer, existence of 'makers' and such luxuries would be great. But is it worth essentially no democracy and the incredible amounts of poverty that the New Scum have to deal with?

Interested in hearing others thoughts on this.

I would rather not live there.

Heh, yeah...

I think I made the mistake of assuming lots of people have read Transmet, and not only remembered it but could discuss it's details as if it were still coming out monthly.

Best to let this thread die, probably.

I read the first couple of issues and couldn't get into it. Most of the time, to me, when Warren Ellis tries to be weird just for the sake of being weird it falls flat.

Maybe I just didn't give it enough of a chance. I'll try it again some time.

I need to read Transmetropolitan.

No.

The City is a pretty interesting framing mechanism, as it provides an appropriately filthy backdrop for Warren Ellis/Spider Jerusalem to describe via lyrical Hunter Thompson-stylized gonzo journalism. Part of the point is that it's the most horrible place in the world. Ellis' techno-fetishism and sci fi gimmicks wouldn't really make it worth it.

Latest posts

Back