X-Men: Days of Future Past (SPOILERS)

So…Whadja think?

• Total voters

Captain Canuck

The poster formerly known as captaincanuck65
Saw it today. I really liked it. There probably wasn't anything I'd change - except maybe that Banshee is dead. I'm interested to see where this goes now. I know the next movie is X-Men: Apocalypse, but are we ever going to get any idea of how much of X-Men 1-3 are still continuity? Well, the last scene made it pretty clear that none of X3 happened. I hope the upcoming Wolverine heavily retcons his origin story and makes it much better. Is Magneto still friends with Charles? Or are the enemies again? Are we going to get a better Phoenix story?

Anyway, besides all the questions I have, I was really satisfied with this movie. I gave it 4 stars. It's probably the best of the X-Men movies. It's at least as good as First Class, but has some weird tonal shifts from the future and past timelines. But besides that, it's pretty awesome. Just the pure fanboy geeking out that the last scene caused was awesome. Not to mention the Apocalypse teaser.

Last edited:
Saw it today. I really liked it. There probably wasn't anything I'd change - except maybe that Banshee is dead. I'm interested to see where this goes now. I know the next movie is X-Men: Apocalypse, but are we ever going to get any idea of how much of X-Men 1-3 are still continuity? Well, the last scene made it pretty clear that none of X3 happened. I hope the upcoming Wolverine heavily retcons his origin story and makes it much better. Is Magneto still friends with Charles? Or are the enemies again? Are we going to get a better Phoenix story? Anyway, besides all the questions I have, I was really satisfied with this movie. I gave it 4 stars. It's probably the best of the X-Men movies. It's at least as good as First Class, but has some weird tonal shifts from the future and past timelines. But besides that, it's pretty awesome. Just the pure fanboy geeking out that the last scene caused was awesome. Not to mention the Apocalypse teaser.

They still happened, it's just that it's now branched off into a different timeline. Essentially like Back to the Future 2's alternate 1985 timeline. I think.

Which is exactly what I said they were going to do. Y'all should listen to me :p

Last edited:
Which is exactly what I said they were going to do. Y'all should listen to me :p
We all knew that was going to happen. We've read the comics. ;)

I'm currently still in the theatre, the movie just finished (waiting on the end credits scene). Will post thoughts later.

We all knew that was going to happen. We've read the comics. ;)

I'm currently still in the theatre, the movie just finished (waiting on the end credits scene). Will post thoughts later.

Y'all acted like I was insane when I said they were going to split off into another timeline :p

I still haven't seen the movie. Probably won't until home video and even then it'll probably get Redboxed.

Last edited:
They still happened, it's just that it's now branched off into a different timeline. Essentially like Back to the Future 2's alternate 1985 timeline. I think.
Right, I get that. But in the new timeline, how much is different?

Then I guess that makes me the mother*&%$@#!

That was literally, actually, hands down, 100% THE SINGLE WORST panel I have ever read ever in any comic ever in my whole flipping life. Ever.

That was literally, actually, hands down, 100% THE SINGLE WORST panel I have ever read ever in any comic ever in my whole flipping life. Ever.

That's one of my all time favorite panels. So badass and funny. The whole book is really.

Last edited:
Right, I get that. But in the new timeline, how much is different?

No way to tell, really. Beyond Jean and Scott surviving, who knows how much changed.

Yep.

That's one of my all time favorite panels. So badass and funny. The whole book is really.

It was stupid, simplistic, and immature.

I really just don't get you. And that's okay. But I really don't.

Wyo is our own enigma in human form. And I love that about him.

So I take it the canon films now are first class, xmen, x2, the wolverine, and DoFP? Doesn't that still leave a lot of continuity issues?

I really liked this movie. A lot.

But I'm going to start with what bothered me.

Overall feel that The Sentinels were wasted. Sure in this film they were a big part but the fact that 70's era part felt more like an X-Men Origins film (A damn good one) and not like an all out X-Men film made me feel like they won't be bringing the Sentinels in for a more traditional X-Men vs. Sentinels battle scene. At least not anytime soon.

I'm ready to come to the present day again. I don't want an 80's or 90's setting. Let's get back to the now.

Thought it was a huge mistake and cop out to kill off Emma, Banshee, Azazel, and Angel. Especially in such a throwaway kind of way.

Surprised by how I didn't get annoyed by Jackman. Wolverine was used perfectly for this story. Mystique was not. There are a number of mutants we can all think of that could have worked with what they were trying to do here with the power adapting Sentinels. They pretty much wanted to make Jennifer Lawrence a lot more important than she should have been. I hope they tone her down for the next one. I hate when they forget they're making an X-Men film and not a vehicle for one or two major celebrities.

Where did Kitty get the power to send one's conscious back in time?

So I take it the canon films now are first class, xmen, x2, the wolverine, and DoFP? Doesn't that still leave a lot of continuity issues?

They're all still canon, even the disappointing Origins - Wolverine and The Last Stand, it's just that those events happened in the original timeline, whereas the events of DoFP created/branched off into a new timeline.

After all, if you skipped The Last Stand,
Cyclops and Jean showing up at the end of DoFP would lack any real meaning, and them not appearing in the future portions of the film before the timeline was altered would be left unexplained.

They're all still canon, even the disappointing Origins - Wolverine and The Last Stand, it's just that those events happened in the original timeline, whereas the events of DoFP created/branched off into a new timeline.
[/spoiler]

Wasn't there continuity problems within the original timeline as well though? What i meant was that it seems like everything except wolverine origins and the last stand still took place within the new timeline (except maybe the bits in the wolverine involving the visions of Jean). I just kind of wish someone would give us a straight answer on the two timelines and what took place in each, despite how unlikely it is that we will ever get one.

Surprised by how I didn't get annoyed by Jackman. Wolverine was used perfectly for this story. Mystique was not. There are a number of mutants we can all think of that could have worked with what they were trying to do here with the power adapting Sentinels. They pretty much wanted to make Jennifer Lawrence a lot more important than she should have been. I hope they tone her down for the next one. I hate when they forget they're making an X-Men film and not a vehicle for one or two major celebrities.

Where did Kitty get the power to send one's conscious back in time?

They used Wolverine, Kitty, and Mystique the way they did because they were trying to balance the elements from the original story with the universe they had created for the movies.

The original story was written in the 70s, so that was the "present" part and the future was i think in the 90s. Kitty was sent back in that story by Rachel Grey to stop Mystique from assassinating Senator Kelly. DoFP was actually Mystique's first appearance in the comics.

They wanted this movie to bridge the original trilogy with the prequels, so they couldn't very well send Kitty back in time. They could have sent Charles, Erik, or Wolverine, but the heart of the movie was Charles and Erik's struggle/friendship, so they sent Wolverine back. And they did a good job with him. He wasn't the focus at all.

I guess they made it so that Kitty was the one who sent him back because they wanted her to remain important to the story. It doesn't make much sense, but it was a nod to the comics.

And Mystique's important role wasn't a stretch. She was the one they were trying to stop in the comics too. But in the movie universe, they had established her as a stone cold killer and mutant activist, but then showed that she was like a sister to Charles growing up. This movie showed how that transformation happened in her.

Wasn't there continuity problems within the original timeline as well though? What i meant was that it seems like everything except wolverine origins and the last stand still took place within the new timeline (except maybe the bits in the wolverine involving the visions of Jean). I just kind of wish someone would give us a straight answer on the two timelines and what took place in each, despite how unlikely it is that we will ever get one.

I haven't seen DoFP yet, but from what I gather, It's kinda like this:

Timeline A:
First Class, Origins: Wolverine, X-Men, X-2, The Last Stand, Wolverine, DoFP (Future Sequences before Jean and Scott Return)

Timeline B:
First Class, DoFP (Past Sequences), X-Men, X-2, The Wolverine (maybe? the whole Jean is dead thing kinda throws this off), DoFP (Future sequences with Scott and Jean returned)

Latest posts

Back