X-Men vs. the Ultimates (Ultimate Nightmare) Why'd it go down like that?

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
I brought this up in the Gah Lak Tus thread, but so it didn't get off topic I figured I'd start a new topic focusing on this subject. In Ultimate Nightmare, at the end of the series, why did the X-Men and Ultimates fight? I mean, the X-Men are supposed to be under SHIELD's control (remember the ending of RoTK). Whether they were supposed to be there or not, it shouldn't have ended up in a fight, especially between Wolverine and Fury. If I recall, Wolverine both spared and saved the guy's life and has worked covert ops for Fury for awhile now, both taking place before and after this mini (based on the timeline), so why would they act like enemies circa Ultimate War and suddenly attack each other? Just didn't make sense in relation to the rest of the Ultimate events involving the two teams.

I mean, in terms of character development it didn't anyway. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I don't think there's an actual reason for this...

Maybe each team thought the other team was behind the attack?

ProjectX2 said:
I don't think there's an actual reason for this...

Maybe each team thought the other team was behind the attack?

Possible, but don't you think they would have been at the level of rationality to at least ask first? They sort of jumped right into the fight. And like I said, given the X-Men's falling under SHIELD jurisdiction, and especially the Fury/Wolverine relationship, I wouldn't expect them to react like that. REALLY didn't seem to fit with the rest of the stories involving the two teams. Had Ultimate Nightmare taken place around Ultimate War, then it might have made sense, but seeing as how it didn't...

The X-Men attacked first, presumably so they could get the mutant baby first and take it back to Xavier. The Ultimates were basically defending themselves.

UltimateE said:
The X-Men attacked first, presumably so they could get the mutant baby first and take it back to Xavier. The Ultimates were basically defending themselves.

Still, kinda weak that it was never brought up again...maybe in Extinction we'll see Logan call Fury an ******* or something for whacking him in the head with his gun.

UltimateE said:

How do you figure that? The X-Men busted into the Vision chamber, Fury said X-Men and fired at them, and Jean deflected the bullets. It was only after that that Colossus and Wolverine went on the offensive.

If I had to write off why the fight happened, I'd say its probably because both teams had been making their way through a hellish laberyinth filled with nightmares only to stumble upon a semi-disassembled alien cyborg or bio-android broadcasting messages of doom. I think they might have been a little on edge and stressed at that point ;).

TheManWithoutFear said:
I could've sworn I made a thread of this with apoll..

Could have, I can't remember, feel free to dig it up and one of the mods can merge them.

Entropy said:
How do you figure that? The X-Men busted into the Vision chamber, Fury said X-Men and fired at them, and Jean deflected the bullets. It was only after that that Colossus and Wolverine went on the offensive.

If I had to write off why the fight happened, I'd say its probably because both teams had been making their way through a hellish laberyinth filled with nightmares only to stumble upon a semi-disassembled alien cyborg or bio-android broadcasting messages of doom. I think they might have been a little on edge and stressed at that point

But isn't that the time to look for friends as opposed to enemies? I know if I was in that situation I'd want as many people watching my back as possible.

My whole point of this thread was that the fight scene just seemed extremely forced and didn't make sense given the larger storyline context between the Ultimates and X-Men. Its like an itch you can't scratch. Or like the UFF timeline screw-ups (which we're all still waiting on to be addressed).

DIrishB said:
But isn't that the time to look for friends as opposed to enemies? I know if I was in that situation I'd want as many people watching my back as possible.

Em, not really. In fact, I think you'd probably be more in the "kill anything because it moves" mode.

My whole point of this thread was that the fight scene just seemed extremely forced and didn't make sense given the larger storyline context between the Ultimates and X-Men. Its like an itch you can't scratch. Or like the UFF timeline screw-ups (which we're all still waiting on to be addressed).

Yeah, it was forced, and it was done soley to give the climax some "action". Considering that the Ultimate line seems to hold that inter-title continuity is secondary to the telling of that titles storyline, I don't think we're ever gonna get an explanation for why they reacted or acted like this other than "Because the story called for it, thats why".

Entropy said:
Em, not really. In fact, I think you'd probably be more in the "kill anything because it moves" mode.

See I disagree on that point. If you're facing a whole slew of enemies in a dark underground cavern, allies become a very valuable commodity indeed (especially allies who are schooled in the art of ***-kicking).

Yeah, it was forced, and it was done soley to give the climax some "action". Considering that the Ultimate line seems to hold that inter-title continuity is secondary to the telling of that titles storyline, I don't think we're ever gonna get an explanation for why they reacted or acted like this other than "Because the story called for it, thats why".

That I agree with. I really need to become the editor of the Ultimate titles and shape those silly ****s up.

UltimateE said:
I think that's as concise an explanation as it gets.

If one really wants to be negative about it, you could say that's Ellis projecting his so-called disdain of superheroes as "Fight Comics" --- the insertion of both teams into the story was both a marketing constraint AND his disparaging need to fulfill the requirement of having some kind of battle to cap off the buildup.

(I say "so-called disdain" because I think Ellis is a ****ing liar. He LOVES superheroes.)

ourchair said:
(I say "so-called disdain" because I think Ellis is a ****ing liar. He LOVES superheroes.)

Haha - you are so right. Of course he'd never admit it. That would never fly with the elitist following he gets.

UltimateE said:
Haha - you are so right. Of course he'd never admit it. That would never fly with the elitist following he gets.
Planetary is proof that Ellis just as big a ****ing geek-dork as us Fight Comic readers. Ten bucks says there are Fight Comics in his collection. Bagged and boarded, too.

ourchair said:
Planetary is proof that Ellis just as big a ****ing geek-dork as us Fight Comic readers. Ten bucks says there are Fight Comics in his collection. Bagged and boarded, too.

Graded and slabbed too...

UltimateE said:
Graded and slabbed too...
At first I was going to say that I doubt Ellis goes that far. But if Ellis is as poor as he claims to be on his Bad Signal mails, it's quite possible that he DOES buy graded and slabbed comics for speculation purposes.

Latest posts

Back