Your Top 5 Single Issues of 2007 - update as you go

Re: Your Top 5 Comics of 2007 - update as you go

I see what you did there.

Well played Monty Crisco. Well played.

I don't have fav issues. I have fav arcs and minis. Does that work?

Changed the title so it wasn't the same as the Top Ten Comics thread.

Bah. I started to do this and it was too hard.

Sinestro Corps is the best issue of the year.

52 #50, Captain America #25, and Batman #663 are up there.

I narrowed it down to ten:

10. 52 Week 52
The finale! A lot of issues from 52 stand out, but the last issue was the culmination of a year of non-stop storytelling.

9. Midnighter #7, "Fait Accompli"
Brian K. Vaughan takes the "Memento" premise and applies it to a comic book. It's a perfect fit for The Midnighter, and one of the best examples of how the various writers who've worked on this series have managed to do cool, original things with a character that could easily become repetitive and boring.

8. Punisher MAX #50, "Long Cold Dark Part One"
Chaykin's art practically ruins the issue, but it's a great start to what's sure to be a great arc. Frank's thoughts to what his life may have been like and the cliffhanger were excellent. And Barracuda is back!

7. Ultimates 2 #13, "Independence Day"
The end of a great series. It was disappointing and delayed, but it was still one of the best issues of the year. The ending was a bit rushed, but it's nice to see a resolution to the Ultimates' story before Loeb comes in and ruins it all. And come on people, there was a ****ing twelve-page spread.

6. All-Star Superman #6, "Funeral In Smallville"
One of the weaker issues of the series, but still better than most books on the market. A nice break from the wild pace of the previous issues, the story is quirky but heartfelt. The ending is a little off-putting, but I can deal with it.

5. Doktor Sleepless #1, "Future Science Jesus"
The title says it all. A great debut issue. I can't wait for more of Doktor Sleepless. The monologue at the end just brought the whole issue together. The best part about the issue is that it tells you that this is going to be a great series. We've got years of great stuff coming from this title.

4. Batman #667, "The Island of Mister Mayhem"
After having disappointed with his run on Batman so far, Morrison suddenly shows us exactly why this was hyped up so much. He takes a ridiculous old idea and turns it into a big, strange murder mystery. I can't wait for the rest of the arc. JHW III's art is phenomenal as usual, and seems to bring out the best in Morrison.

3. Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. #11
For no other reason than the ridiculous, split twelve-page spread thingy.
NEXTWAVE: Blatantly wasting your money since 2006.

2. Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. #12
Nextwave meets its untimely end, but not before busting out Baby MODOK and Devil Dinosaur. I love this series so much.
NEXTWAVE!

1. All-Star Superman #7, "Being Bizarro"
The best issue this year of the best series being published right now. It's a no-brainer. Speaking of no-brainers, this issue features Morrison's messed-up, zombie-like versions of the Bizarro concept and I love it. Excellent Quitely art, and a wonderfully complicated story that forces you to read the issue three times. Exactly what I expect from Morrison.
And plus, it had the debut of Zibarro.
That just shoots it to number one right away.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.....

I've been thinking about this for some time now....and to be honest---no single issue stands out except for Civil War: The Confession.

Easily....hands down the winner of the year.

It's a toss up between Ultimates 3 and Ultimate Power 9.

But really, it was probably an All Star Superman. Maybe even the latest issue. But then, I haven't read Green Lantern 25 yet.

I know it's not from Marvel.

1) Green Lantern 25
2) All Star Superman 6
3) All Star Superman 9
4) Fables 62
5) Green Lantern Sinestro Corps. Special 1

This is my final decision (finally having read GL 25).

Latest posts

Back