Zodiac

Yeah, in case people don't know it is about 2hrs 45mins long.

I found that out AFTER sitting down for it.

The movie was decent, but entirely too long. The acting, script, and directing were all rock solid. Hell, it even ends with some closure. But, as a whole, it really dragged. If they had shaved off a good half an hour, it could have been brilliant.

I wasn't able to see this until today. I literally just got out of the theater ten minutes ago.

It's gonna be damn hard to beat this for best picture of 2007.

I'm gonna work up a fuller review, but I just wanna tell people to get to the theaters to see this. Now, tonight, tomorrow, make it a double feature with 300 on Friday or Saturday. Just get to the theaters.

5/5 stars, two thumbs up, 10.0, A+, whatever ranking you adhere too. It's that.

I wasn't able to see this until today. I literally just got out of the theater ten minutes ago.

I'm gonna work up a fuller review, but I just wanna tell people to get to the theaters to see this. Now, tonight, tomorrow, make it a double feature with 300 on Friday or Saturday. Just get to the theaters.

He speaks the truth!:rockon:

I'm sure it's great. Maybe even the best picture of the year.

But no way does a David Fincher movie released in the first quarter of the year win the Oscar. Sorry.

So you liked it?

I'm sure it's great. Maybe even the best picture of the year.

But no way does a David Fincher movie released in the first quarter of the year win the Oscar. Sorry.

The Oscars are a stroke fest for single-minded buffoons and Tom Hanks.

Yeah, I know I posted that whole "Justice has been served" thread after Scorcese won, but that's only because I like Scorcese and I found it funny that if he HADN'T of won people might have actually started shooting. Other than that, I'll stick to my own opinions. Also, I'm drunk so I'm belligerent. I'm sure at some point I'll respond to this rationally and far more coherently.

If I wasn't so broke I would've picked up the new 2-Disc Directors Cut / Special Edition by now. Since the initial DVD had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on it, I decided I was going to wait it out. As such, I've heard nothing but good things about the new set. But... I'm broke. So, no Zodiac for me.

Planet-man, you should definitely check it out. And if you were foolish enough to buy the bare bones edition last year... trade it in. :)

Hate this type of movie.

"Hey! Let's take an real-life mystery that was never solved, and turn it into a MOVIE mystery that's never solved."

Pointless.

I agree.

I found that out AFTER sitting down for it.

The movie was decent, but entirely too long. The acting, script, and directing were all rock solid. Hell, it even ends with some closure. But, as a whole, it really dragged. If they had shaved off a good half an hour, it could have been brilliant.

Odd - ZODIAC was a rare pleasure for me in that it's over 2 hours and not ONCE did I find myself thinking, "GET ON WITH IT". (I usually do. For example, I came out of 300 and said, "It's THE LORD OF THE RINGS without the boring bits." I like my films to not drag.)

So - I have to say, I think it was highly exciting, really entertaining, gripping whodunnit.

I had reservations because I was thinking, "What are the odds this will be anywhere NEAR as good as SEVEN?" But I was surprised at just how very good it is indeed.

I knew nothing about the Zodiac killer. Before my time, and a different country, I never even heard about it until I heard of the film. I managed to avoid spoilers of all kinds, but sadly, I recently heard that they never caught him.

So my new reservation was this: This is going to be one of those films where if it was an original work not based on real events, it would be awesome.

And that's what happened. Terrific film, let down by the fact it has to be 'true to the events'. I always get pissed off with this attitude in writers because it's total arbitrary bull****. Each writer draws the line between "true to reality" and "dramatic license" wherever the **** they want to, and often, redraw that line as the film requires. It pisses me off because if they just said, "BASED on true events" like they did with BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID you get a really good story instead of a pseudo-documentary.

See, the two goals conflict: One is to tell a kickass story, the other is to recreate the real events. The two don't gel. You HAVE to cut stuff out. The nature of story requires it. But then they decide on sacred cows like, "He has to get away with it" and there you go: a completely unresolving murder mystery.

What annoys me is that the whole film is a whodunnit and the manhunt for the killer. Yet the ending of the film is: the final showdown with the bad guy. He either gets away with it or doesn't. That scene is on film - Jake Gyllenhaal sees Leigh and basically goes, "I can't get you, but I know you did it."

Then Leigh gets identified. Then we have a little message saying he died of a heart attack.

That completely scuppers the film for me. It just seems like the ending to a completely different film.

But then, maybe I'm talking rubbish. JFK is ****ing awesome and very similar to this film.

I just think the ending is lackluster. It just feels to me that if they'd not constrained themselves so to what happened, we might have had a better ending. I'm not saying a car chase through the San Francisco roads or a shoot out or any of that ****. SEVEN ended with the bad guy winning and it was awesome. I'm fine with Leigh getting away with it. But... I dunno. It felt pointless.

Which is a shame because the film is ****ing terrific.

And Mark Ruffallo is absolutely the love child of Columbo and Robert Goran.

Also - Jake Gyllenhaal is Peter Parker. End of discussion.

Last edited:
Still my favourite movie of last year. It threw off the flaw in its genre(true unsolved mysteries) and ended up having, for me, one of the most satisfying "gotcha" moments I've ever seen, still probably my favourite moment in ANY movie of 2007.

Latest posts

Back