100 Bullets Discussion (spoilers)

Re: 100 Bullets

compound said:
*opens up boxers*

*looks down with a satisfactory grin*

Yup, it certainly appears to be me, doesn't it?

Maybe I'm just using an image inducer.

Anyway...

I presume this is meant to be a non-spoiler thread, yes?

not anymore

mods: PLEASE ADD THE SPOLIER STUFF UP TOP!!!!!!

jeremiahvedder said:
I've been steadily disenchanted with this series the further and further I get into it. It just takes too long, drags too much with the cloak and dagger, and I just can't seem to give a **** about any of the main characters. They're all really bad, from an archetypal protagonist standpoint and I'm the world's worst critic when it comes to to fashioning a story.

how far did you get?

cuz i know that vol. 6 is sorta like that...it just depends on WHICH character you like, and are more interested in seeing.

Somewhere around #40, after finally getting bored and giving up.

Ten issues is usually enough to know what you like, but I gave this one an extra push because it's a Vertigo title.

Hmm... I can see where you're coming from.

The title has moved away from the superb hook of the 100 bullets to the Trust and the "greatest crime" and all that stuff. I mean, if you look at the title how it started and where it is now - it's a very different title.

I suppose if you don't like the type of story its telling now, you would indeed become disinterested. I mean, I find the Trust stuff nowhere near as interesting as the 100 Bullets hook. That said, the Trust stuff I enjoy to a certain extent.

Also, as you say, the characters aren't particularly good protagonists - which is the whole point one would say. But it's definately a dry, subtle story that some people might find demands too much from the audience to be interesting, which is fair, I think.

Am I anywhere near your complaints with the title, or am I just making stuff up?

I'm enjoying 100 Bullets, but it is a bit hit or miss. The Voodoo Wylie story had a great ending, but was probably 2 issues too long.

Good series, though.

100 Bullets series discussion (spoilers)

Anyone read the new 100 bullets? I thought it was the best one in a LONG time, and its mostly self contained. Nice.

4.5/5

Re: 100 Bullets series discussion (spoilers)

Ultimate MJ said:
Anyone read the new 100 bullets? I thought it was the best one in a LONG time, and its mostly self contained. Nice.

4.5/5

I don't believe there is a 100 Bullets thread, so let's turn this into the series discussion. If there is one and someone can point me to it I'll just merge the threads.

I have the first TPB and liked it enough to get more, I just haven't had a chance yet.

Re: 100 Bullets series discussion (spoilers)

Well since this thread is dead, I'll post a quick summary...

Issue #75

The issue opens with two street punks (or anarcho-punks...?) walking down the street telling stories about their roommates ****ed up sexual habits. They walk passed a stressed-looking asian kid, and ask him for a dollar. The asian kid flashes a gun, upsetting the punk guy who has to be dragged off by his girlfriend.

At this point the story flashbacks to the asian kid and Agent Graves in a ****ty asian diner, where Graves is eating and the kid is working. Graves gives the gun and untraceable bullets to the asian kid, along with irrefutable evidence that a woman he knows screwed him over at some point.

Switch back to present time, with the asian kid sitting on a bench, drenched in sweat and agonizing over his decision (to kill or not to kill). The street punks walk down the street, still pissed about the gun being flashed. Thy sit down and start panhandling, and ask Lono for money as he walks by. Lono calls them "feaux-bos" and walks off (nice).

Switch back to Graves and the asian kid in the diner. Graves and the kid talk, Graves is trying to talk the kid into taking the gun.

Switch to present day. A creepy guy sits next to the asian kid and hits on him. Lono walks up and kicks the creepy guy out, and he takes off.

Next few pages switch between Lono asking the kid how hes gonna kill the girl who screwed him over, and the kid is silent, and this switches with scenes of Graves talking the kid into taking the untraceble gun and bullets. Lono goes into uncomfortable detail about how he personally would murder the lady.

Back to the street punks. The creepy guy walks up and offers them money for sex. They accept and head towards his car.

Lono and the kid are still talking. Lono mentions that the lady now dedicates he life to helping other people clean their lives up at a local clinic, and the kid acknowledges this is why he cant decide to kill her. Lono gets up to leave, and the kid asks "what would you do in my situation?" Lono simply gives an evil smile, implying he would slowly and carefully murder her. Lono walks off.

Last page shows the street punks getting into the creepy mans car and start fondling him, while Lonos advice on how easy murder is continues. We see duct tape and a hunting knife under the creepy mans seat.

End

Like I said, 4.5/5. Really a stellar standalone issue, and the two stories weave together veyr well.

thank you Houde,

and if you aren't reading 100 bullets then you don't deserve call your self a comic fan....i would die if they ended 100 bullets without a proper ending.

this is also recommended by Me; Nigma, Baxter and the late Bass...if all three of us say its good, then its GOOD.

that is all.

Baxter said:
I'm not sure how to better phrase this, so I'll just come out with it.

100 Bullets does everything but give me wood.

There. Thats all.

I was already convinced on checking out this series out along with Fables after I finished catching up on Authority.

But this statement here did nothing but solidify my interest.

Anybody get the newest issue?

Meh. I couldn't really follow the conspiracies and double crosses, but the art was pretty.

3/5

i got Vol. 10

that is another F#$@&# up storyline, meg doing it with the old man...the kids killing each other. and we can't forget about the newest minute men added.

I forgot to mention I read Vol. 5 and 6 while on holiday. Pretty awesome. When this finishes and I have time to catch up, I'll be reading it all.

I'm up the Vol.8

What the **** happened to Shepard!?

That was pretty ****ed up.

I think Dizzy is my favorite character.

I dunno Milo was awesome too.

Last edited:
So - over the last week I read all 85 issues back to back.

This series totally hella-awesome.

So - over the last week I read all 85 issues back to back.

This series totally hella-awesome.

I read the first trade and liked it.

Does the book change much after the first 6 or 7 issues? Based on the summaries I had read of subsequent trades it seemed like the book was about something different than before.

I've read #1, and Vol. 5 and 6. I liked what I read. I'm going to wait until the series finishes before I start reading it all though.

Latest posts

Back