616 References in Brian K Vaughan's run (secrets inside!)

Hyperstorm said:
Here's one you missed: Longshot's last name Centino is an anagram for Nocenti the last name of his creator Ann Nocenti.
Thanks, HS! I don't think I EVER would've seen that one! You've just inspired me to pull out the remaining Vaughan issues and finish the list...for Vaughan's run at least!

Great list, though I have a different interpretation of one of your points, namely when Mojo says to Domo:

Art doesn't have a formula, you spineless suit.

...the citizens of Mojoworld being none other than? Anyone? Anyone?

The Spineless Ones.

Fuzzy Birds said:
Great list, though I have a different interpretation of one of your points, namely when Mojo says to Domo:...the citizens of Mojoworld being none other than? Anyone? Anyone?

The Spineless Ones.
Yeah, I saw that too, but was too lazy to point it out.

Last edited:
Okay, first things first: I kinda...uh...missed #59. Don't blame me, blame the comic shop. They OBVIOUSLY lost my copy! Or I missed it. Whatever! I still get the story in #60, I just missed the coolness of a Lady Deathstrike debut (though I've never really liked the character anyway) and any references in there. When I get the issue, I'll complete the list.

Also, I take ANY tiny thing I can find as a reference. Even if Vaughan didn't mean it, I take it! Yay for me!

#60 - "Shock and Awe: Conclusion"
*Dr. Cornelius says that he wants to make "the witch" pay for everything that's happened to him - In 616, Storm is often referred to as the Weather Witch...which she usually doesn't like very much.
*Yuri says that her name is "Deathstrike" - Yuriko is "Lady Deathstrike" in 616...okay, okay, no brownie points there!
*Ororo launches Wolvie into the air with his claws out and ready - This technique bares a striking resemblance to the 616's "Fastball Special" where Colossus throws Wolverine at an enemy [also mentioned in UXM#29(?)]
*Storm fries Deathstrike with a lightning bolt - Lady Deathstrike could conduct electromagnetic charges through her mechanical parts in the 616...i know, still forcing it here!
*Wolverine brings Ororo back by pounding on her chest - okay, this one isn't a 616 reference, but it could be taken as the second reference to "Lost" that I've heard of Vaughan using in a comic book! Go Vaughan!!!

UXM Annual #1:
*Wolvie, Storm and 'Crawler have a brief discussion about writing and dialogue - Appears to be yet another stab by Vaughan at the fickle comic buyers!
*The guy who turned over the Crimson Gem of Cyttorak to Fenris was an Irish arms dealer named Black Tom Cassidy - In 616, this gem gives Juggernaut his powers. Juggernaut's constant partner and friend for a large part of his career has been none other than Irish born mutant Black Tom Cassidy!
*Juggernaut calls Rogue "Leech Girl" - Not much to go on here, but there is a 616 mutant named Leech!
*Juggernaut says that his power is "bein' unstoppable" - Juggernaut is clearly known to brag about being unstoppable and, I think, he's even been called "The Unstoppable Juggernaut" at some point or the other.
*Rogue says that now she knows the feeling [of being unstoppable] then punches Juggernaut away - In 616, Rogue absorbed the powers of Ms Marvel and became near unstoppable. She displayed similar strength here as she did in the 616 with Ms. M's powers.
*When Gambit tosses the charged up gem into Juggernaut's chest, he grows in size and power - In 616, when Juggernaut shoved the gem inside his own chest, he grew in size and in power...well, he got his powers for the first time that way, too!
*That laugh Juggie gives off once he's powered up makes me think of the 90's X-Men cartoon version of Juggernaut for some reason. Anyone got any leads?
*Juggernaut says that he crushed his father's skull, implying that he hated his own dad (well, there's more than an implication there, I'll admit!) - Juggernaut a.k.a Cain Marko constantly sought his father's approval in 616 but was one hell of a cold-hearted kid.

More later!

Fuzzy Birds said:
Great list, though I have a different interpretation of one of your points, namely when Mojo says to Domo:

...the citizens of Mojoworld being none other than? Anyone? Anyone?

The Spineless Ones.
ARRGH! Can't believe I missed that one!!! That was staring me in the face! Thanks, Fuzzy!

UXM #61: "Magnetic North: Part 1"
*The Academy of Tomorrow is a school run by Emma Frost - Emma ran an Academy for the Gifted in 616 which functioned as a home for both her now deceased ex-students the Hellions and her now-depowered and partly dead ex-students Generation X!
*Alex demonstrates his loathing of Scott when he calls him "an uptight control freak" - Alex and Scott Summers aren't exactly known for their rosey relationship in 616 either!
*Alex calls Jean-Paul "Northstar" - That's the first use of JP's 616 codename in an ultimate comic, if I'm not mistaken.
*Alex then calls Lorna "Polaris" - First use of Lorna's 616 codename in an ultimate comic.
*Lorna calls Alex "Havok" - First use of Alex's 616 codename in an ultimate comic.

UXM #62: "Magnetic North: Part 2"
*Scarlet Witch says her name is "Wanda Lehnherr Maximoff" - I'm not sure, but is this the first time she's called herself a Maximoff?
*Alex talks to Sam a.k.a Cannonball - Sam Guthrie...Cannonball...First "New Mutant" to graduate to X-Man status...NUFF SAID!
*You've got Cannonball, Sunspot and Doug Ramsey sitting in one room - These guys all have ties to the New Mutants/X-Force as former members!
*The shape-shifted that kills the cop says that Magneto leaving a high body count is "all part of his mystique" - It's Mystique, ya dummies!!

UXM #63: "Magnetic North: Part 3"
*Essex says "The child is coming. The...the master will be reborn." - This appears to be a reference to Apocalypse's rebirth in the form of a child. Sounds kinda like a story featuring a certain Nathan Grey where "Big A" wanted to be reborn into X-Man's body.
*Magneto embraces Lorna saying "come here, my child." - Magz is apparently Lorna's daddy in 616! It's a new Chuck Austen-inspired twist.
*Kitty complains about her codename and says she wants to change it - Kitty Pryde's changed her codename once or twice.
*Roberto is described as being "hotter than a sunspot" - He's Sunspot, ya dummies!

UXM #64: "Magnetic North: Part 4"
*Magz offers Lorna a spot at his side - Lorna was one of Magz sidekicks when he took over Genosha. Hell, she was THE sidekick!

UXM #65: "Magnetic North: Part 5"
*Essex makes mention of death being another stage of evolution while mentioning Apocalypse - Archangel was "Death", the leader of Apocalypse's four horsemen at one point. Link there?
*Fury has a group of soldiers called the "Howling Commandos" - Ever hear of "Nick Fury & His Howling Commandos"? No? What a shame!
*Havok is getting sent to X-Factor! - Havok was team leader of the government's team of superheroes called X-Factor!
*Rogue returns to the mansion looking for help with her "new" powers and the first person she "bumps into" is Colossus! - When Rogue first came to Xavier's looking for help with her powers, she met Colossus at the front door!

Sorry if I missed any...I'm sleep deprived and my eyes are barely open!

Great job, Nas-T. You might want to edit all these additions into your first post, so as time goes by and the thread grows, people don't have to search the entire thing. It'll all be in the first post that way. Also, just to make it easier to read and differentiate between the two, maybe write the Ultimate versions in regular text, and the 616 analogues/similarities in italics or bold or something. Just a few thoughts. But awesome and very useful list, and look forward to more additions!

DIrishB said:
Great job, Nas-T. You might want to edit all these additions into your first post, so as time goes by and the thread grows, people don't have to search the entire thing. It'll all be in the first post that way. Also, just to make it easier to read and differentiate between the two, maybe write the Ultimate versions in regular text, and the 616 analogues/similarities in italics or bold or something. Just a few thoughts. But awesome and very useful list, and look forward to more additions!
Thanks for the suggestions, Irish. I'll definitely get my act together after the holiday season has watched out of my system and I can go back to official public places without getting strip searched!

Nas-T! said:
Thanks for the suggestions, Irish. I'll definitely get my act together after the holiday season has watched out of my system and I can go back to official public places without getting strip searched!

No more dreadful sound than the snap of the rubber glove on the security guards wrist...except for maybe the squirt of the lube bottle as he pumps some onto his fingers...all cavity searchers are sadists to a large degree.

Major Domo has a 616 equivalent as well with the same name. Like in UU, he's also Mojo's right hand man. He looks humanoid, similar to Longshot with the four fingers on each hand, has long hair and wears a robe.

Thanks for that last one, you dude with the weird name that's impossible to retype.

If anyone cares, I'm working on a full list based on every issue I have. Unfortunately, I have some major gaps in my UU collection around the early issues of some series (particularly USM).
I may just have to go illegal to finish the list till I can get my trades in.

Latest posts

Back