616 Spidey vs Ultimate Spidey

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
comic_geek21 said:
Rest in Peace old friend, Rest in Piece.

How can you spell the word correctly, and then incorrectly in the same sentence?

I agree with most of what you said, except I liked the new changes to 616 Venom. And I dislike Carnage.
 

ourchair

Well-Known Member
Nurhachi said:
And when Norman Osborn came back from the grave? Genius!
You're kidding right? The only good thing about Norman Osborn's resurrection was that it was the only villain they could use to properly end the Era of Stupid Clones and Other Convoluted Crap in the Spider-Man titles.
 

Nurhachi

Well-Known Member
ourchair said:
You're kidding right? The only good thing about Norman Osborn's resurrection was that it was the only villain they could use to properly end the Era of Stupid Clones and Other Convoluted Crap in the Spider-Man titles.

but that whole bit where he took over the bugle. All the manipulation and mind games through 97 and 98 were great. Except the gathering of 5 of course. Identity Crisis was great
 

Nas-T!

Well-Known Member
Oh, I'm so tired of ALL you whiners!!! Why the hell does there even have to be a debate about this!? The only way to "end this debate" is to just ignore it. Both universes are great: screw anyone who thinks one is better than the other!!
Currently the 616 is in a bit of a shambles, and its mainly due to Marvel handing over everything to BENDIS! They need to wake up and realize that the dude isn't as cool as they think he is! Marvel's best writers (Dan Slott, Sean McKeever, Keith Giffen) are being sidelined so that Bendis can write any-freakin-thing he wants!! Aren't we STILL waiting for Secret War #5!?

And, as for all this crap about "Oh, the Clone Saga sucked! And Maximum Carnage sucked! And everything sucks!" - screw it! Yeah organic webbing is stupid, but that was an editorial mandate (the reason the Ultimate books are so good is because they got Spider-Man's old editor, Ralph Macchio, to watch over them and he doesn't get to give mandates, it would appear)!! And the Clone Saga was just LONG, not BAD. It incorporated some great stories (like Aunt May's death in ASM#400, which should've stayed permanent) and new characters and brought back Norman Osborn. Now Norman didn't NEED to be brought back, but since he's been around Peter's life has been more interesting.

Mark Millar's 12 issue arc on MKSM was friggin' AWESOME!!!!! And Eddie Brock didn't sell Venom on e-Bay (shows that the original poster is commenting on an arc he didn't even read!), he sold it at a villain auction run by The Tinkerer - which was a stroke of genius! The new Venom (Venom II) only lasted two issues, but he was cool, and then Gargan got the suit and that was also cool! I can't wait for a new Scorpion to show up (his identity and armor was auctioned at the end of #12)!!

So, yeah, the 616 may not be the most cohesive universe anymore, but it isn't as bad as you make it out to be. And if we can all just live with BOTH universes side-by-side, it'd be a better world for it, and a better posting experience.

Nas-T!
"..."
 

Nas-T!

Well-Known Member
Oh, I'm so tired of ALL you whiners!!! Why the hell does there even have to be a debate about this!? The only way to "end this debate" is to just ignore it. Both universes are great: screw anyone who thinks one is better than the other!!
Currently the 616 is in a bit of a shambles, and its mainly due to Marvel handing over everything to BENDIS! They need to wake up and realize that the dude isn't as cool as they think he is! Marvel's best writers (Dan Slott, Sean McKeever, Keith Giffen) are being sidelined so that Bendis can write any-freakin-thing he wants!! Aren't we STILL waiting for Secret War #5!?

And, as for all this crap about "Oh, the Clone Saga sucked! And Maximum Carnage sucked! And everything sucks!" - screw it! Yeah organic webbing is stupid, but that was an editorial mandate (the reason the Ultimate books are so good is because they got Spider-Man's old editor, Ralph Macchio, to watch over them and he doesn't get to give mandates, it would appear)!! And the Clone Saga was just LONG, not BAD. It incorporated some great stories (like Aunt May's death in ASM#400, which should've stayed permanent) and new characters and brought back Norman Osborn. Now Norman didn't NEED to be brought back, but since he's been around Peter's life has been more interesting.

Mark Millar's 12 issue arc on MKSM was friggin' AWESOME!!!!! And Eddie Brock didn't sell Venom on e-Bay (shows that the original poster is commenting on an arc he didn't even read!), he sold it at a villain auction run by The Tinkerer - which was a stroke of genius! The new Venom (Venom II) only lasted two issues, but he was cool, and then Gargan got the suit and that was also cool! I can't wait for a new Scorpion to show up (his identity and armor was auctioned at the end of #12)!!

So, yeah, the 616 may not be the most cohesive universe anymore, but it isn't as bad as you make it out to be. And if we can all just live with BOTH universes side-by-side, it'd be a better world for it, and a better posting experience.

Nas-T!
"..."
 

GMaster

Banned
Bass said:
Fair enough. I meant "if the UU doesn't make mistakes, how do you explain USM, which is terrible?" USM is just really bad, I think. It's consistant, though. :wink:
I agree. USM just makes me want to get a rope, wrap it round my neck, pull very hard and wait. Or alternatively, take a knife, remove my *explicit* and eat it. Really. Its that bad.
 

Doc Comic

Well-Known Member
Nas-T! said:
Spider-Man's old editor, Ralph Macchio
macchio6jc.jpg
 

Bass

Nexus of the World
GMaster said:
I agree. USM just makes me want to get a rope, wrap it round my neck, pull very hard and wait. Or alternatively, take a knife, remove my *explicit* and eat it. Really. Its that bad.

Yes, but at least it's consistant. It makes you want to do that every month. That's gotta count for something.
 

GMaster

Banned
Bass said:
Yes, but at least it's consistant. It makes you want to do that every month. That's gotta count for something.
Yes, it counts for many things. But not one of them has any meaning.
 

Hawkeye101

Well-Known Member
Dr.Strangefate said:
We need Grant Morrison on All-Star Spiderman

Um 'All Star' s DC's attempt to knock off the Ultimate Universe, ya know, so there wont be an All Star Spider-Man.
 

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Hawkeye101 said:
Um 'All Star' s DC's attempt to knock off the Ultimate Universe, ya know, so there wont be an All Star Spider-Man.
Ever heard of sarcasm and humor? You should try is sometime.
 

Bass

Nexus of the World
Hawkeye101 said:
Um 'All Star' s DC's attempt to knock off the Ultimate Universe, ya know, so there wont be an All Star Spider-Man.

It's quite an horrific attempt to knock of the Ultimate universe since it's nothing like the Ultimate universe. :D
 

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
616 and Ult. Spidey are much different.

The Green Goblin is a giant Hulk ripoff. Electro has containment suits. Kraven is a fool. No, wait. He's a fool in 616 as well. Doctor Octopus can morph his arms. Venom is a cancer suit. Bendis writes Ultimate Spider-Man.

Which one is better now?
 

XFactor

Well-Known Member
Hey folks, I'm a newbie so try not to be TOO hard on me...I'd apreciate it. :?

I'm young, so I haven't been around for most of the 616. In fact, I have little knowledge of it besides the X-Books. I like to think I'm a devoted U.U. reader...I've picked up every TPB they have so far...But it sorta' seems to me that everyone gets a lil' lost in the whole "This sucks, that sucks, Geldoff ruined this, the Clones ruined that, Venom is terrible altogether"...

I read comics because I LIKE to. I can honestly say I've never analyzed the art,the story writing, character development, etc. Maybe that makes me "young and naive" or something, but, I mean, I take an English class where I have to pour over EVERYTHING to find the crap I'm looking for, and I certainly don't wanna' do that with the comic I'm supposed to be a fan of.

These characters, the 616 AND their U.U. counterparts...what were they created for in the first place? To me it seems like comics started to tell the stories of people (and sometimes aliens, clones, robots, whatever). Sure, these are super-people who are more than REAL people can ever be...and yet...everyone has some personal struggle...some skeleton in their closet...
They have reasons to NOT do the right thing. They don't NEED to make a difference. They WANT and CHOOSE to. They have anger and fear, comedy and love...Each one of 'em has hope, and most have a chance of redemption by making things better for someone else...

So who cares what story arc goofed up? Why does this color shade or that panel layout matter? For me (and God, do I hope there is SOMEONE who has any idea what I am babbling about), these comics show us what kind of lives we should lead, by setting examples of how human nature is and how it could be...and it helps that we get to have a cool story to go with it. :wink:

Sorry...I don't know if that all sounded right or not. Just ask yourself why you started reading in the first place...:?
 

Ultxon

Well-Known Member
Glad to meet ya XFactor. Be sure to introduce yourself in the Site news and discussion forum.
 

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
XFactor said:
Hey folks, I'm a newbie so try not to be TOO hard on me...I'd apreciate it. :?

I'm young, so I haven't been around for most of the 616. In fact, I have little knowledge of it besides the X-Books. I like to think I'm a devoted U.U. reader...I've picked up every TPB they have so far...But it sorta' seems to me that everyone gets a lil' lost in the whole "This sucks, that sucks, Geldoff ruined this, the Clones ruined that, Venom is terrible altogether"...

I read comics because I LIKE to. I can honestly say I've never analyzed the art,the story writing, character development, etc. Maybe that makes me "young and naive" or something, but, I mean, I take an English class where I have to pour over EVERYTHING to find the crap I'm looking for, and I certainly don't wanna' do that with the comic I'm supposed to be a fan of.

These characters, the 616 AND their U.U. counterparts...what were they created for in the first place? To me it seems like comics started to tell the stories of people (and sometimes aliens, clones, robots, whatever). Sure, these are super-people who are more than REAL people can ever be...and yet...everyone has some personal struggle...some skeleton in their closet...
They have reasons to NOT do the right thing. They don't NEED to make a difference. They WANT and CHOOSE to. They have anger and fear, comedy and love...Each one of 'em has hope, and most have a chance of redemption by making things better for someone else...

So who cares what story arc goofed up? Why does this color shade or that panel layout matter? For me (and God, do I hope there is SOMEONE who has any idea what I am babbling about), these comics show us what kind of lives we should lead, by setting examples of how human nature is and how it could be...and it helps that we get to have a cool story to go with it. :wink:

Sorry...I don't know if that all sounded right or not. Just ask yourself why you started reading in the first place...:?
Good man. :twisted: Welcome.
 

Latest posts

Top