A Brief History of Superman Comics

I can agree with Gothamite on this, I'm sure there were better shows, but I can't recall any to disprove it his claim. And I've always felt that since Lois and Clark didn't always take itself too seriously that it allowed us to forgive any flaws. Unlike say Smallville that tries to be serious which only amplifies it's own flaws to the point where I can't stand to watch it. Lois and Clark also handled the character brilliantly, bringing them into a more modern setting. Clark, particularly, was done really well.

As I recall Flash and Swamp Thing were pretty good shows that took a more serious route, but can't remember enough to argue which is better.

I can agree with Gothamite on this, I'm sure there were better shows, but I can't recall any to disprove it his claim. And I've always felt that since Lois and Clark didn't always take itself too seriously that it allowed us to forgive any flaws. Unlike say Smallville that tries to be serious which only amplifies it's own flaws to the point where I can't stand to watch it. Lois and Clark also handled the character brilliantly, bringing them into a more modern setting. Clark, particularly, was done really well.

As I recall Flash and Swamp Thing were pretty good shows that took a more serious route, but can't remember enough to argue which is better.

I agree so much, my head hurts. The reason Lois & Clark was able to pull off what it did (and often what it didn't do) was because it was only semi-serious and didn't claim to be some definitive version of Superman.

Also, are you all forgetting Bruce Campbell's role as a recurring cigar-chomping villain, with Peter Boyle as his father?!

5656719_std.jpg

Classic.

The Flash was great, because it followed it was a precursor to the feel and style of Lois & Clark; light-hearted romantic comedy mixed with superheroics. The only difference with The Flash was that the show was much, much darker (it often feels like you're watching a live-action Batman: The Animated Series) and the episodes were more self-contained. Unlike Lois & Clark, The Flash didn't really seem like it knew where it was going (whereas in L&C, the premise from the get-go was to create a show where Lois Lane and Clark Kent met, became rivals and eventually got married while Superman's origins were being explored). I think it could have sustained one more season, but I don't know if it had much more to work with beyond that.

I've never seen Swamp Thing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back