Adventure Comics discussion (spoilers)

lantern

So I never read any of the previews in the back of the books. But this week had a Adventure Comics #1 preview which I check out due to my enjoyment of Conor Kent. It was really awesome art with the start of a very good story. This is the weird part Adventure is suppose to be 1/2 Superboy 1/2 Legion book but all the advertisements and previews have had Superboy in them, no Legion. So even though this preview made me want to get Adv. I think I'm only going to like 1/2 this book.

So I never read any of the previews in the back of the books. But this week had a Adventure Comics #1 preview which I check out due to my enjoyment of Conor Kent. It was really awesome art with the start of a very good story. This is the weird part Adventure is suppose to be 1/2 Superboy 1/2 Legion book but all the advertisements and previews have had Superboy in them, no Legion. So even though this preview made me want to get Adv. I think I'm only going to like 1/2 this book.

That's because Legion of Super-Heroes is mainly going to be confined to the 8 page back-up. Adventure Comics is going to primarily be a Superboy title.

Regardless of that, it looks good. Now we just need Geoff Johns to write Aquaman and Shazam titles.

Adventure Comics is love. I have a feeling this is going to be my new favourite comic.

So the new writer for Adventure is Paul Levitz. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I mean he wrote some great stuff back in the 80s, but his JSA run was pretty bad. Hrmmm... Well, We've still got 5 issues of Johns before this. I just hope it works out...

I love this comic so much which is strange because I don't have any previous connection to the character of Superboy. I guess that's what Geoff Johns does though. I shall miss him.

I was going to complain about the dumb exposition at the start but then Brainiac and Luthor destroy the helicopter and it's awesome. "I like your ship."

Thumbs up, creators. This is a good comic.

So the new writer for Adventure is Paul Levitz. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I mean he wrote some great stuff back in the 80s, but his JSA run was pretty bad. Hrmmm... Well, We've still got 5 issues of Johns before this. I just hope it works out...

*cough*ipredictitwillbeexactlylikewhenevermarvelputschrisclaremontonanything*cough*

Levitz' Legion run is teh ebst run by any creator on any title I ever read.

And he's taking over the book at essentially the same moment in continuity where he left it, so this is going to rock.

Dan Didio said:
Dan DiDio: The change was in the works already before Paul stepped into the mix. And the change started at the moment we decided Francis was going to be the artist on The Flash.

What we're planning to do with The Flash ongoing series, we needed to get Francis and Geoff off the Adventure Comics series so they could concentrate on The Flash ongoing.

So we knew we had a change there. We just weren't sure exactly where and when. And we were going back and forth on which issue it was because Geoff had a really wonderful Superboy story that he wanted to tell that, unfortunately, will have to be pushed to a later date.

But my goal now is to get those guys going on Flash as soon as possible. And then when all the changes started to occur, Paul was our only choice for the series. And to be quite frank with you, before even knowing everything that was taking place, Paul was the person we were thinking about approaching for the series as well, given his association with the Legion, given his association with Adventure Comics, and his love for the title, and his love for those characters. It only made sense for him to be the one to take this and move it to its next incarnation.

Newsarama: There's no doubt that when you think of Paul, you think of Legion of Super-Heroes. But there are Conner Kent fans out there that are wondering - what's going to happen to the Superboy piece of this comic?

DiDio: We're going to see Conner's, probably, gradual leave from that book. But that's not to say Conner won't be joining a team book soon, or appearing in another series of his own at some point.

Ech. I think this book is good, although not great, but I know some of you are big fans. Sorry to hear about that, guys.

Joe Kalicki said:
Levitz' Legion run is teh ebst run by any creator on any title I ever read.

Really?

Joe Kalicki said:
And he's taking over the book at essentially the same moment in continuity where he left it, so this is going to rock.

Hm.... I hear good things about his run, but I know a lot of the time the style of older writers doesn't age all that well when they come back to the job. I'm thinking of Chris Claremont and Dennis O'Neil in particular.

This last issue was strange. Mostly because I haven't read legion of three worlds or anything to do with blackest night yet so i didn't really know what was going on.

Yeah, #4 was kind of awful compared to how amazing the first three were. Jerry Ordway instead of Francis Manapul, Superboy Prime (his story is done!) and boring meta stuff.

Oh well.

Latest posts

Back