Alan Moore on why he doesn't like comic book movies

"Magnificient Douche"

I think this title is amazing - and I like that you've capitalized it!

I also like the explanation... it seems like it applies to an awful lot of people, too - in all walks of life.

Finally, I think it would make a good brand name for an actual douche.

Suffice it to say, your two words have made me very happy!

I think this title is amazing - and I like that you've capitalized it!

I also like the explanation... it seems like it applies to an awful lot of people, too - in all walks of life.

Finally, I think it would make a good brand name for an actual douche.

Suffice it to say, your two words have made me very happy!

I live to give

When I seen that The Overlord started this thread, I thought awesome not a villain thread. Than I realized that it is because Alan Moore is the ultimate villain.

Douche is the stupidest insult in the history of ever. It makes a person look unclassy and uncultured. They sound like a un-mature 12 year old boy.

When I seen that The Overlord started this thread, I thought awesome not a villain thread. Than I realized that it is because Alan Moore is the ultimate villain.

Douche is the stupidest insult in the history of ever. It makes a person look unclassy and uncultured. They sound like a un-mature 12 year old boy.
God, TOG is such a douche.

By that logic, Alan Moore shouldn't even ever make himself a sandwich. He's a comic writer, not a chef.

:lol:

I guess Mavericker met Alan Moore. Good for him

Who was Mavericker again? I honestly can't remember. :oops:

Isn't this thread awfully redundant?

we've gone over this atl length a numeroues points in time, I've come to the conclusion is his own trope a "Magnificient Douche" Someone who has every right to be a douchebage, because of his stature in their particular field, but he's still a douche

I wonder if Neal Armstrong was a douche...?

Or when I'm under the horse.

:shock: :sick:

Yeah, so Moore is being Moore. I'm a bit surprised about his complete oversimplification and sweeping inclusions (to the point of ignorance) of just about...well, everything. There are enough reasons to hate the world without going out looking for more, Alan.

I agree with everything Moore says.

Unfortunately, I disagree with everything he says.

While I think, at it's core, he has many, many valid points, he is too binary and inflexible. His statements are too sweeping and generalized (as he points out himself) to be palatable.

But he has a point. A lot of the people who have authority on movies do not understand the craft of movie making. Just as architects are continually plagued by clients who don't understand the craft of architecture yet unrelentingly proclaim changes and adjustments to the design, movies are continually plagued by executives, actors, crew, directors, and writers, who don't understand their craft and ruin it.

The truth is though, this isn't something unique to movies. It's just very much more apparent. He has a point that cheap productions can be more integral and honest, but cheap productions can also be a big pile of wank. There's often a REASON someone can't get the finance for their work.

So, yes, I agree with him. But I also disagree with him. He's too polarized to be truly coherent for me.

I needs me one of these.

Here's my theory: Alan Moore is a dick.

OK? Sure, the man has produced some works of greatness but let's just be honest here: He's not Jesus, he's not Buddha. He's not even Mohammed or L. Ron Hubbard. Hell, in literary terms I wouldn't even put him on the same level as Stephen King.

So let's just say this man should not be looked to as an authority on everything, film included. Zack Snyder has probably made a great movie in The Watchmen, because Zack Snyder knows how to make a damn good movie. I'm a huge fan of Dawn of the Dead and 300, and I'm sure this movie will be just as good if not better than both.

Maybe if Alan Moore would pull himself out of his own *** AND out of the *** of half of the comic book fanboys in the world, he might realize that a lot of people are going to have a lot of fun watching this movie.

Probably not, but that would actually be cool.

P.S. Mole, why does your Golden Mole award look like half a dildo?

Last edited:
I honestly stopped listening to Alan Moore's opinions on TV, films, and pretty much everything that isn't created by him.

Mostly because he's too full of himself to bother seeing both sides or just giving something a chance.

On one hand, he has every right to be mad about his intellectual property turned into garbage like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. And maybe he can be slightly miffed that there were some situational changes to his V for Vendetta in order to tailor it to modern times and the Wachowski's script. And maybe even so for Snyder deciding to
take out the giant space monster from Watchmen and making it a nuclear threat

But he needs to swallow his pride, stop being a douche and understand that when he spouts that same line about how Watchmen was created to be something that couldn't be transfered into another medium, that that statement might've held true over a decade ago, but with today's technology---anything can be transfered. Hell, get an actual cast to do the voices and that iPhone Watchmen cartoon is damn near close to perfection.

So maybe he should stop trying to be that curmugeoned old man who thinks he's an expert in his field...and just write his ****ing comics.

I don't understand all the Alan Moore/Watchmen discussion. It doesn't make any sense at all. Everyone knows Grant Morrison wrote Watchmen.

I don't understand all the Alan Moore/Watchmen discussion. It doesn't make any sense at all. Everyone knows Grant Morrison wrote Watchmen.

There's a guy with a signature on Newsaram that implies this very idea

You know.......... Alan Moore is a bit of a hypocritic isn't he?

He claims that things designed for one medium shouldn't be translated to another.

But the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen did this exactly didn't it?

It took literary characters from the novel medium, and translated them to comics.

Latest posts

Back