Alan Moore on why he doesn't like comic book movies

There's a guy with a signature on Newsaram that implies this very idea

You know.......... Alan Moore is a bit of a hypocritic isn't he?

He claims that things designed for one medium shouldn't be translated to another.

But the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen did this exactly didn't it?

It took literary characters from the novel medium, and translated them to comics.

Maybe he's fine with it if the creators are dead and the characters are in the public domain or aren't being used.

Movie producers could kill Alan Moore if they wanted to make this a lot easier on themselves.

I honestly stopped listening to Alan Moore's opinions on TV, films, and pretty much everything that isn't created by him.

Mostly because he's too full of himself to bother seeing both sides or just giving something a chance.

On one hand, he has every right to be mad about his intellectual property turned into garbage like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. And maybe he can be slightly miffed that there were some situational changes to his V for Vendetta in order to tailor it to modern times and the Wachowski's script. And maybe even so for Snyder deciding to
take out the giant space monster from Watchmen and making it a nuclear threat

But he needs to swallow his pride, stop being a douche and understand that when he spouts that same line about how Watchmen was created to be something that couldn't be transfered into another medium, that that statement might've held true over a decade ago, but with today's technology---anything can be transfered. Hell, get an actual cast to do the voices and that iPhone Watchmen cartoon is damn near close to perfection.

So maybe he should stop trying to be that curmugeoned old man who thinks he's an expert in his field...and just write his ****ing comics.

Dude. yes.

:roll: I never understand why everyone makes a big deal about this.

"Oh my god, Alan Moore doesn't like comic book movies, that means they can never be made!" People here act like those who think Moore is entitled to his opinion are just being fanboys and letting him be a dick, but if you're enjoyment of comic book movies is apparently dependent entirely on Moore's approval of them then you might have things a bit mixed up. Do you expect him to lie to make you feel more comfortable when you go see Watchmen? People ask him what he thinks about things and he tells them. I don't think he obsessively writes to websites to tell them how much he hates comic book movies.

Alan Moore doesn't like comic book movies, but it's not like he's waging a jihad to stop them from being made. You get comic book movies, Alan Moore gets his opinion, no matter how silly it may be. Everybody's fine. If you've got a bone to pick, it should be with every person who's ever interviewed Alan Moore, because they all seem to want to hear him repeat the fact that he doesn't think comic books should be made into movies and piss you all off.
And maybe he can be slightly miffed that there were some situational changes to his V for Vendetta in order to tailor it to modern times and the Wachowski's script.
To be fair, he has plenty of reason to be mad about V for Vendetta.

Last edited:
I'm sure V for Vendetta would've been a great movie if I hadn't read the comic first.

The problem with it is that it commits - in my mind - the biggest sin you can commit when adapting a comic book or graphic novel: it completely changed the message of the story, cutting out the pro-anarchy message for a more hollywood-friendly, vague, anti-authoritarian statement, which is indescribably lame. Change whatever aesthetic details you want, but change the entire point of the story and you've just taken a big old **** on its head.

I'm sure V for Vendetta would've been a great movie if I hadn't read the comic first.

The problem with it is that it commits - in my mind - the biggest sin you can commit when adapting a comic book or graphic novel: it completely changed the message of the story, cutting out the pro-anarchy message for a more hollywood-friendly, vague, anti-authoritarian statement, which is indescribably lame. Change whatever aesthetic details you want, but change the entire point of the story and you've just taken a big old **** on its head.

That's fair enough. I was the other way. Watched film and thought "Wow! I love this." then ran out and got comic. As a result I was a little disappointed the book wasn't more like the film. I know that's bad but I prefer the film. Most likely as you said I saw it before I read book.

I agree to a point. It would have been a much greater film if they geared it towards that aspect. But the point is that could have been easily changed through some edits in the dialogue. It wasn't that the comic was untranslatable, it was just the dude who translated it did not like Bush and wanted the movie to reflect that. So fans of the comic who didn't like it after seeing it I have no problems with. Its the ones who say its impossible and a stupid thing to even try (like Moore) That I have a difference of opinion with

it was just the dude who translated it did not like Bush and wanted the movie to reflect that

Eh...I don't know about that, but you have the right idea. No matter what anyone thinks or says, making that movie about Margaret Thatcher's economic policies would not have worked. Nobody would've cared and no one would've gone to see it.

But the comic wasn't about Thatcherism, it was just a response to it. The times inspired the sentiment behind the book but it's power comes from the fact that Moore did very little to date it to current events.

I can't even imagine how dated the movie is going to look in 10-20 years.

I don't understand all the Alan Moore/Watchmen discussion. It doesn't make any sense at all. Everyone knows Grant Morrison wrote Watchmen.

Proj wins the thread.

There's a guy with a signature on Newsaram that implies this very idea

You know.......... Alan Moore is a bit of a hypocritic isn't he?

He claims that things designed for one medium shouldn't be translated to another.

But the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen did this exactly didn't it?

It took literary characters from the novel medium, and translated them to comics.

It's not the same thing. If Alan Moore had simply adapted the original stories into the comics, then yes, it would be the same thing. He didn't. He took a bunch of public domain characters of the same era and created a genre-mosaic world out of those stories. He did this with TOP 10 too. Hollywood is just adapting his stories, instead of creating new things.

I completely agree. Evey works for the BBC instead of being a desperate girl who starts the story with the intent of becoming a whore. V's first appearance is turned into comedy with Evey's, "Are you, like, a crazy person?" This line, for me, summed up the stupidity of the movie: you have Natalie Portman putting on a bizarre English accent and saying a grammatically Californian line. It's just stupid. No research.

And as for the final statement - instead of taking the poetic, and powerful pro-anarchy message (as you rightly put it), it ends with a bullet-time knife fight.

I just see no point in adapting something if you're so completely going to butcher it. The only reason you can do this is because 1) It's easier than coming up with something new by yourself and 2) You think you can improve on it, which is all kinds of arrogant. The master adapters, never act like they can improve nor that it's easy. They pay respect to the original and to the craft. Just look at Akira Kurosawa's THRONE OF BLOOD. It's the best film adaptation of Shakespeare I know of.

That's fair enough. I was the other way. Watched film and thought "Wow! I love this." then ran out and got comic. As a result I was a little disappointed the book wasn't more like the film. I know that's bad but I prefer the film. Most likely as you said I saw it before I read book.

I'm glad you got the comic. I read it before the film came out and it haunted me for days. I just kept re-reading it. Different types for different people, I guess. :/

But the comic wasn't about Thatcherism, it was just a response to it. The times inspired the sentiment behind the book but it's power comes from the fact that Moore did very little to date it to current events.

I can't even imagine how dated the movie is going to look in 10-20 years.

Again, you're right. The movie is already dated, while the graphic novel, I read in the 21st century, over 3 years after the comic is SET, and somehow even though it says "1997" on it, it still felt modern, relevant, and fresh. The movie - I felt like I'd already seen it while I was watching it for the first time.

Stephen Fry was kick-*** in it, though.

It's not the same thing. If Alan Moore had simply adapted the original stories into the comics, then yes, it would be the same thing. He didn't. He took a bunch of public domain characters of the same era and created a genre-mosaic world out of those stories. He did this with TOP 10 too. Hollywood is just adapting his stories, instead of creating new things.

I call semantics here, the way they are presented has nothing to do with the fact that he took creations from one medium, and translated them to a nother medium they were not originally intended for.

I had a big long winded argument typed up, but I decided I'd rather not debate this, because it will degenerate to Alan Moore is in the righ because, he's Alan Moore.

I wonder how Moore would feel if a holographic-text-interface coder (future comic writer) from 100 years from now, were to take Nite-Owl, Rorschach, and a number of other Moore creations or notable creations of the same calbiur from different creators, and did exactly what Moore did with LXG, with this new work.

There's a difference between adapting a work into another medium and making new stories with preexisting characters. It's not semantics at all, because they're two different things.

And I'm sure Moore would think people using his characters for a new league would be awesome, because as I just pointed out above, that's not the same thing as an adaptation.

Besides, those characters were blatant and admitted pastiches of already existing characters.

Also Alan Moore will probably be dead and inhabiting one of the twelve levels of the Kabbalistic tree of life or hanging out with Glycon 100 years from now so he probably wouldn't care.

Last edited:
I'm glad you got the comic. I read it before the film came out and it haunted me for days. I just kept re-reading it. Different types for different people, I guess. :/

I still loved comic. It's my favorite of Alan Moore's work. However like you said you read before. I didn't. I hadn't even heard of it till film came around. Now I prefer film version as I saw it first but I still LOVE the comic one. Just wish it was Moore like the film. (Muwhahaha making a pun using Moore's name instead of the word more, to say I wish one of his comics was more like the film he was so open about hating. There's a special place in hell for people like me.)

You know whats awesome

There was a yellow smiley face cake at DQ when I stopped in for a Blizzard today...

the service was so bad and slow, I grabbed a couple ketchup packets, and turned it into The Comedians button as a big FU to them, I couldn't beleive I had time to do that without getting any damn service

Thats right I turned Watch men into a cake! So Alan can have his cake and eat it too!

my only regret is that I don't have a phone/camera-phone/camera

Last edited:
:lol:

I have no idea what DQ is.

Dairy Queen. A fast food ice cream-type place, except without actual ice cream.

As the name suggest, it's run by the gays.

Latest posts

Back