All About Movies Thread: 8 Tweets & a Funeral.

I borrowed and watched the Mission Impossible trilogy this weekend. I had never seen number two, and I hadn't seen 1 or 3 in years.

I went out and purchased 1&3 yesterday.

2 is soooo bad. So bad.

the slow motion...i can't handle it. the flaming door and the slow motion walking and the single pigeon flying:arrgh::arrgh:

I never miss an opportunity to praise M:I III. The first one's terrific and so unique, the second is a pretentious shoot-em-up with none of the wit of the other, but has its redeeming qualities, but the third is a masterpiece. Favourite action movie ever, but I also love all the character stuff. The whole Vatican sequence is genius, and my favourite stunt in the whole film may well be just Cruise covering the 14 blocks or whatever in Shanghai on foot, during the climax.

My family watched the trilogy over the course of a few nights last summer and we were practically tearing up at the final scene of 3. I'm praying that 4 lives up, and especially that they don't derail the marriage in some horrible way.

Man, I was expecting to like RED, but it was trash. With the exception of Brian Cox, all the characters were smug *******s, in a bad, unlikeable way, and as the saying goes, "all the best parts were in the commercials". The most satisfying part of the movie was just getting to see John Malkovich actually say "ASS" after seeing it get cut off in the commercials about a hundred times.

2 is soooo bad. So bad.

the slow motion...i can't handle it. the flaming door and the slow motion walking and the single pigeon flying:arrgh::arrgh:

It's sad that it was directed by John Woo.

I never miss an opportunity to praise M:I III. The first one's terrific and so unique, the second is a pretentious shoot-em-up with none of the wit of the other, but has its redeeming qualities, but the third is a masterpiece. Favourite action movie ever, but I also love all the character stuff. The whole Vatican sequence is genius, and my favourite stunt in the whole film may well be just Cruise covering the 14 blocks or whatever in Shanghai on foot, during the climax.

My family watched the trilogy over the course of a few nights last summer and we were practically tearing up at the final scene of 3. I'm praying that 4 lives up, and especially that they don't derail the marriage in some horrible way.

I don't think the third is as good as any of you guys say it is. I always watch it and end up not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. There are a lot of great parts, but there are also some really bad parts. I think the first one is the masterpiece of the series.

I saw BEST WORST MOVIE, THE HAPPENING (for the fourth time!), SPEED RACER (for the third time!), GROUNDHOG DAY (for the 33,000th time!), some weird foreign films in European Cinema class, and CYRUS.

I really want to see the MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE films. I saw the first 45 minutes of the first one over winter break and really loved it.

I own it in Blu ray.

It is hilarious and the most faithful adaptation of any cartoon into movie I've seen. The cartoon is exactly like that movie, almost to a T. It's not meant to be taken seriously, and people who thought it was going to be something else were idiots.

Where else will you ever see John Goodman doing Greco Roman wrestling?

Last edited:
It is hilarious and the most faithful adaptation of any cartoon into movie I've seen. The cartoon is exactly like that movie, almost to a T. It's not meant to be taken seriously, and people who thought it was going to be something else were idiots.

You can make a more faithful adaptation of a cartoon without making it exactly like the cartoon. It clearly does not translate well onto the screen. Though, with movies like Scooby Doo, Dragonball Z, Yogi Bear, etc, maybe cartoons just aren't meant to be made into live-action films. I'm trying to think of a good live action adaptation of a cartoon and I can't...

I will agree that it was almost exactly like the series, but maybe that's what was so off-putting about it. The visuals were really painful to watch too. I'm epileptic and I'm surprised I didn't have a seizure watching that piece of crap. The Wachowskis haven't directed a good film since the first Matrix.

That first sentence you typed made my head hurt.

How can one make a more faithful adaptation of a cartoon than one that is made exactly like the cartoon?

And maybe you are upset cause you don't see the brilliance of it?

And the brilliance of car-fu.

That first sentence you typed made my head hurt.

How can one make a more faithful adaptation of a cartoon than one that is made exactly like the cartoon?

I meant to say something like, "You can make a better Speed Racer movie without having it be exactly like the cartoon." Adaptations of different works in the past have made artistic liberties and still come out great. For example, Nosferatu and the original Dracula both took various liberties with Bram Stoker's novel, while Jesus Franco's 1970 Dracula was created to be more faithful than previous adaptations but isn't as good as Nosferatu or Universal's Dracula.

I love Speed Racer, one of the only movies I can watch over and over again. The directing and editing were awesome in the movie.

Or save 200 pictures of Christian Bale.

I'm trying to think of a good live action adaptation of a cartoon and I can't...

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I know it was a comic first, but the movies definitely took a lot of cues from the cartoon. If it was an adaptation of the comic the movies would have been more gritty and less gnarly.

Latest posts

Back