All About Movies Thread: 8 Tweets & a Funeral.

twf_greatest_hits_white.png

Because they can make money off a Harry Potter prequel series?

I guess they will be going in depth into Dumbledore & Grindelwald's relationship.

Last edited:
This article might help answer some of your questions, Wyo. The five movies will span 19 years, from 1926-1945. 1945 is the year of Dumbledore's duel with Grindelwald, as well as the year Tom Riddle graduated from Hogwarts. The story and screenplays are actually being written by Rowling, so I have confidence it will be good and not just a cash grab, like other fantasy prequel movies.

Last edited:
This article might help answer some of your questions, Wyo. The five movies will span 19 years, from 1926-1945. 1945 is the year of Dumbledore's duel with Grindelwald, as well as the year Tom Riddle graduated from Hogwarts. The story and screenplays are actually being written by Rowling, so I have confidence it will be good and not just a cash grab, like other fantasy prequel movies.

No man, that's a cash grab. If they were making this, a Quidditch Through the Ages film, and a The Tales of Beedle the Bard film I'd still say it's a cash grab much like those books were cash grabs. The upcoming Harry Potter comics are a cash grab. It's all a cash grab. People were asking for a Hobbit movie, Hobbit is a classic, but they, WB, cash grabbed it and turned it into three films. No one was asking for a Harry Potter prequel, sequel maybe, but not a prequel. Certainly not five prequels.

No man, that's a cash grab. If they were making this, a Quidditch Through the Ages film, and a The Tales of Beedle the Bard film I'd still say it's a cash grab much like those books were cash grabs.

The books were a fund raiser... I guess that's a cash grab? But these movies aren't just film adaptations of the textbooks, they are a story of an important time in the history of the HP universe.

The upcoming Harry Potter comics are a cash grab. It's all a cash grab. People were asking for a Hobbit movie, Hobbit is a classic, but they, WB, cash grabbed it and turned it into three films. No one was asking for a Harry Potter prequel, sequel maybe, but not a prequel. Certainly not five prequels.

Except the studio made the Hobbit movies a trilogy. Rowling herself wants to tell the story of Scamander as well as Dumbledore and Grindelwald, and she wants do it in five movies. If she had written two novels and the studio made five movies out of it, that would be worrying, but Rowling is writing the screenplays. (Which, by the way, is even better than if se wrote two novels and they made two films, because nothing will be cut out this way, Rowling will get to tell her whole story in these films). Is this whole thing cashing in on the success of the Harry Potter brand? Sure. But that doesn't mean there won't be integrity in the story telling process. J K Rowling is telling a story about an important time in the history of the world of Harry Potter. That's exciting.

I guess I'm just not who this is for. I still, yes still, haven't seen the final film and was pretty much done with the franchise at the end of the final book. The story's been told for me. *shrug*

No man, that's a cash grab. If they were making this, a Quidditch Through the Ages film, and a The Tales of Beedle the Bard film I'd still say it's a cash grab much like those books were cash grabs. The upcoming Harry Potter comics are a cash grab. It's all a cash grab. People were asking for a Hobbit movie, Hobbit is a classic, but they, WB, cash grabbed it and turned it into three films. No one was asking for a Harry Potter prequel, sequel maybe, but not a prequel. Certainly not five prequels.

Man, everything Hollywood makes is a cash grab. Literally everything, except arthouse films hardly anyone bothers to see.

Just about every book, comic, movie, TV show, song, etc is made for purposes of profits. Welcome to the world.

Even those Transformers comics you love so much? Yep, they're a cash grab. Doubt IDW is donating all profits (or any profits, for that matter) to charity and just releasing those for the fans' benefit.

Seriously, sometimes your criticisms are illogically selective.

Further, I know PLENTY of people interested in it. I've never been a fan of the HP stuff, but have several friends who are and actually DID want to see prequels focusing on Harry's parents or a younger Dumbledore. They're now getting the latter, in some form. And I seriously doubt they're the only ones who hoped for and wanted a HP prequel.

Plus, they also got a HP sequel in the Cursed Child play and script book. So they got both. One isn't necessarily more valid than the other.

Man, everything Hollywood makes is a cash grab. Literally everything, except arthouse films hardly anyone bothers to see.

Just about every book, comic, movie, TV show, song, etc is made for purposes of profits. Welcome to the world.

Even those Transformers comics you love so much? Yep, they're a cash grab. Doubt IDW is donating all profits (or any profits, for that matter) to charity and just releasing those for the fans' benefit.

Seriously, sometimes your criticisms are illogically selective.

Further, I know PLENTY of people interested in it. I've never been a fan of the HP stuff, but have several friends who are and actually DID want to see prequels focusing on Harry's parents or a younger Dumbledore. They're now getting the latter, in some form. And I seriously doubt they're the only ones who hoped for and wanted a HP prequel.

Plus, they also got a HP sequel in the Cursed Child play and script book. So they got both. One isn't necessarily more valid than the other.

I guess I'm just not who this is for. I still, yes still, haven't seen the final film and was pretty much done with the franchise at the end of the final book. The story's been told for me. *shrug*

I get that. I'm not a fan either, as I said, but my point is there's no reason to **** all over it just because it doesn't appeal to us.

I get that. I'm not a fan either, as I said, but my point is there's no reason to **** all over it just because it doesn't appeal to us.

I think it's because I was actually really excited when it was announced. I enjoyed reading Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and all of Ron, Harry, and Hermonie's notes in them and when the film was announced my mind went racing of Newt going around the world documenting all these creatures and it was going to be massively expanding the world and lore. I stead it's set in a single American city, is a political thriller, and all all the beasts are in a suitcase. It just feels, small.

I think it's because I was actually really excited when it was announced. I enjoyed reading Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and all of Ron, Harry, and Hermonie's notes in them and when the film was announced my mind went racing of Newt going around the world documenting all these creatures and it was going to be massively expanding the world and lore. I stead it's set in a single American city, is a political thriller, and all all the beasts are in a suitcase. It just feels, small.

That's a reasonable complaint. You wanted an adventure story, instead you got a series about Grindelwald and Dumbledore. I get it.

That's a reasonable complaint. You wanted an adventure story, instead you got a series about Grindelwald and Dumbledore. I get it.

Exactly, this should have been Around the World in 80 Days meets Harry Potter and instead we get Newt being the backdrop for Harry Potter: The Origins.

That's fair. Like I said, it's not my cup of tea either, the HP films/books never have been.

That said, maybe that's why they are making it five films... this one is merely the touchstone, a reintroduction to the world (but at a very different time than the HP films), so they chose a smaller focus, which will be expanded on in the sequels.

[video=youtube;44LdLqgOpjo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44LdLqgOpjo[/video]

Well, I'm finally sold.

Latest posts

Back