Spider-Man Amazing Spider-Man Presents: American Son

Captain Canuck

The poster formerly known as captaincanuck65
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN PRESENTS: AMERICAN SON #1 (of 4)
Written by BRIAN REED
Penciled by PHILIP BRIONES
Cover by MARKO DJURDJEVIC
Heroic Age Variant by TBA
IN THE AFTERMATH OF SIEGE, AN OSBORN FALLS.
Where does Norman Osborn's fall leave his son, Harry? In the wake of the Siege of Asgard and the dawn of a new Age of Heroes, the world finally knows what his father is - but what is Harry himself? And who has taken on the American Son armor? And what does GABRIEL STACEY have to do with it?! Brian Reed (MS. MARVEL) and Philip Briones (IRON MAN VS. WHIPLASH) have the answers in the story of a true AMERICAN SON.
40 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99
11309storystory_full-5995743..jpg

Discuss.

Gabriel Stacy, as in the Grey Goblin?

weird
did you read the American Son arc in ASM? Norman was showing Harry the people he had experimented on to make sure the Goblin formula would mix with the new "super soldier formula" he had made for Harry to become the American Son. There was a tank with a guy in it and it was labeled G. Stacy.

What's a Gabriel Stacy/Grey Goblin?
I can't tell if you're joking or not.

In case you aren't, In JMS's run on ASM he wrote a story called "Sin's Past" in which Peter Parker (not Spier-Man) is attacked by two masked people with powers. You eventually find out that they think he killed Gwen after getting her pregnant. Turns out these two super powered people are Sarah and Gabriel Stacy, Gwen Stacy's kids. Peter is confused, MJ tells him that back in the day Norman seduced Gwen and she got pregnant. Gwen went over to France for a while (that actually happened back in ASM in the 70s) and her twins came to term really quickly b/c they were Norman's and had super powers. She gave them up for adoption and came back and pretended it never happened. Shortly thereafter Norman kills her.

Then he went to Europe (during the time he was supposed to be dead, as was established in the Clone Saga) and found his kids and raised them to believe Peter Parker was their father and that he had killed their mother. He wanted them to kill Peter and then take the Goblin formula and become Goblins. Peter convinced Sarah Norman was lying to them, but Gabriel wouldn't listen and he took the Goblin formula. He became the Grey Goblin and he and Spidey fought. Sarah ended up stopping him. Last we saw of Gabriel he washed up on a shore somewhere and had lost his memory of being the goblin (as is common for people who had taken the Goblin formula).

then like i said before, he shows up in a tank being experimented on by Norman.

In case you aren't, In JMS's run on ASM he wrote a story called "Sin's Past" in which Peter Parker (not Spier-Man) is attacked by two masked people with powers. You eventually find out that they think he killed Gwen after getting her pregnant. Turns out these two super powered people are Sarah and Gabriel Stacy, Gwen Stacy's kids. Peter is confused, MJ tells him that back in the day Norman seduced Gwen and she got pregnant. Gwen went over to France for a while (that actually happened back in ASM in the 70s) and her twins came to term really quickly b/c they were Norman's and had super powers. She gave them up for adoption and came back and pretended it never happened. Shortly thereafter Norman kills her.

Then he went to Europe (during the time he was supposed to be dead, as was established in the Clone Saga) and found his kids and raised them to believe Peter Parker was their father and that he had killed their mother. He wanted them to kill Peter and then take the Goblin formula and become Goblins. Peter convinced Sarah Norman was lying to them, but Gabriel wouldn't listen and he took the Goblin formula. He became the Grey Goblin and he and Spidey fought. Sarah ended up stopping him. Last we saw of Gabriel he washed up on a shore somewhere and had lost his memory of being the goblin (as is common for people who had taken the Goblin formula).

then like i said before, he shows up in a tank being experimented on by Norman.

I was really hoping this was eared by Brand New Day, even if it doesn't make sense to, I think we can all agree this story should be forgotten

believe it or not, it was actually really well written and makes absolute sense continuity-wise. It was a very emotional story, especially if you're familiar with Peter and Gwen's relationship and how significant her death has been in the Spider-Man mythos (probably the second most significant event, after the death of Uncle Ben).

It also added another layer to the relationship between Spidey and Norman; as well as made him that much more deplorable.

But it caused a lot of controversy with fans. Very few liked the idea that Gwendy had been seduced and knocked up by Norman.

Last edited:
Yeah see, that right there, that's the deal breaker. Just something they should have never done.

I agree. Apparently JMS wanted to erase it from continuity with OMD, but they wouldn't let him.

If he had his way, history would have changed and Gwen never would have been seduced, so she never would have died, so Peter and MJ never would have been married.

Makes a lot more sense than what they did, but I'm also glad they didn't bring her back to life.

Sins Past was great. Anyone who disagrees is an old curmudgeon who is just afraid of change.

On topic, why does this need to be a separate mini? They can't tell this in ASM proper?

Sins Past was great. Anyone who disagrees is an old curmudgeon who is just afraid of change.

On topic, why does this need to be a separate mini? They can't tell this in ASM proper?
I didn't mind the plot as much as some, but I thought the whole thing was formulaic, boring, and pointless. It added nothing to the Spider-Man mythos and the two uninteresting characters introduced disappeared forever after, as they should.

actually Sarah Stacy was in an arc of (i think) Spectacular Spider-Man called Sins remembered (which was pretty abysmally awful from what I hear)

and seems like Gabriel's making a come back too.

This week I bought and read American Son #1, ASM #632, and ASM Annual #37. American Son was definitely the better read of the three.

The issue was set up to lead you to think that Harry was American Son, but it was pretty clear to anyone who's been paying attention that it was going to be Gabriel Stacy. Not great, but pretty decent.

I'm not sure what to think about this. I'm generally indifferent to BND stuff, but I always saw American Son as the highlight. It was just such a joy to see Harry finally give Norman what he'd had coming to him all these years.

However, I hated Sins Past and really don't like the fact that they kept it in-canon. I guess I'll just wait and see.

You forgot the fact that we GOT TO SEE NORMAN OSBORN'S O-FACE, WHICH IS STRONGLY IMPLIED TO BE THE EXPRESSION HE ALWAYS WEARS UNDERNEATH HIS MASK.

It's admittedly a minor thing, but that was so disgusting (and unintentionally hilarious, since implies he had that expression for every terrible thing he did as the Goblin) that it killed the story for me.

As for the mini-series thing...I'm not sure, actually. My guess is that since a lot of fans hate OMD, BND, and Sins Past, maybe Marvel doesn't want to inspire more hatred by putting them in the main series. But Quesada's been willing to piss off the fanbase before, and that idea doesn't make much sense to me...so I don't know. I'm just tossing ideas out.

so it turns out Gabe isn't American Son.

unless the guy claiming to be Gabriel Stacy wasn't actually him. Anyway, my money's on Sarah.

So it turns out Gabe IS American Son. He's just crazy and doesn't know it.

His motivation for wanting to kill Harry makes no sense. All his life Norman only ever loved Harry? That's not true. Harry has been a disappointment to Norman all throughout the history of Spider-Man.

Last edited:
The fight between iron patriot and American son was epic and so was the spidey in fake venom costume part.

Latest posts

Back