An Evening with Kevin Smith.

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
Has anyone else seen this? I know TGO has. I wouldn't have known about this if it wasn't for him. This is more Kevin Smith Q&A shows he's done at colleges. There's a DVD for it. It's in 2 discs. The first one is over 2 hours long and the second like an hour and a half.

Just read this morning that the next DVD, "An Evening with Kevin Smith 2: Evening Harder" was just pushed from an August release to a November release. I hope they're adding some great extras to it! :cry:

Here's a trailer for the second one I found at youtube.

I literally read you post and was about post this. "So what do you think is so great about this? I like Kevin Smith movies, but I wouldn't pay money to hear him answer questions from college students?"

Then I watched the trailer, now all I can say is how can those ****ers make us wait until November to see this?

MaxwellSmart said:
I literally read you post and was about post this. "So what do you think is so great about this? I like Kevin Smith movies, but I wouldn't pay money to hear him answer questions from college students?"

Then I watched the trailer, now all I can say is how can those ****ers make us wait until November to see this?
Man, it's so worth it. This has just off-the-wall true funny *** stories. My favorite from the first one was how Kevin Smith did this thing for Prince, but never got aired and Prince didn't ever thank him or anything. Just awesome ****.

And then there was when he was talking about he was going to write the Superman script (as in the Superman Returns before they had Singer and the crew). He went on how one of the producers wanted a giant spider in it (same guy who had put the giant spider machine in Wild, Wild, West). Once he got to the part where Burton was taking over, and went in details about when Burton would never see anything by Smith, some guy came in and cut him off and stopped the show because of some "union" bull****.

That's a lesson right there, kiddies. Never talk about Tim Burton if you want a show to continue.

Yeah.....this is an awesome DVD. I remember watching it when it firts came out. I was working at Best Buy at the time and I opened a copy and just let it run continuously in the employee break room. We just had employees running around quoting all the funny **** he was saying.

Ice said:
And then there was when he was talking about he was going to write the Superman script (as in the Superman Returns before they had Singer and the crew). He went on how one of the producers wanted a giant spider in it (same guy who had put the giant spider machine in Wild, Wild, West). Once he got to the part where Burton was taking over, and went in details about when Burton would never see anything by Smith, some guy came in and cut him off and stopped the show because of some "union" bull****.

That's a lesson right there, kiddies. Never talk about Tim Burton if you want a show to continue.
Oh, I started a thread about this horrible, horrible story a few weeks ago. Here's a detailed overview of what happened with Burton's Superman movie:
And this is where things got REALLY ugly. First off, Smith was taken aback when Peters asked him, in all sincerity, "'Kal-El'? Who's this 'Kal-El' guy you keep mentioning in the script?" Then the insanity really started to take over. Peters demanded that Superman be stripped of his red and blue suit, arguing that the suit was "too pink, too f@ggy." WB also demanded that Superman undergo a costume change, even ordering Smith to describe the soon-to-be-trashed red and blue duds as being "'90s-style." So Smith was forced to have Superman ditch his red and blues (which he grudgingly deemed "'90s-style") early on in the script and switch over to the black and silver suit from the "death of" story as his permanent gear (ironically mirroring Poirier's earlier script). Peters also hated the FX in the 1978 Superman film with Chris Reeve, so he wanted to get rid of Superman's ability to fly. So Smith tried to get around this by portraying Superman as a red blur while in flight, creating a sonic boom every time he took off (he took this from The Dark Knight Returns). Peters then told Smith to have Brainiac fight polar bears at the Fortress of Solitude, demanding that the film be wall-to-wall action. Smith thought it was a stupid idea, so Peters said, "Then have Brainiac fight Superman's bodyguards!" Smith responded, "Why the hell would Superman need bodyguards?" Peters wouldn't let up, so Smith caved in and had Brainiac fight the polar bears. Then Peters demanded that Brainiac give Luthor a hostile space dog as a gift, arguing that the movie needed a cuddly Chewbacca character that could be turned into a toy. Then, after watching Chasing Amy, Peters liked the gay black character in the film so much that he ordered Smith to make Brainiac's robot servant L-Ron gay, asserting that the film needed a gay R2-D2 with attitude. Then Peters demanded that Superman fight a huge spider at the end of the film, which Smith refused to do—he used a "Thanagarian Snare Beast" instead. (However, Peters did manage to recycle his spider idea and use it in Wild Wild West.)

As if that wasn't enough, WB tried to force Smith to eliminate a critical story sequence where Lois and Clark's relationship hits a standstill during a picnic dinner at Mount Rushmore—the most acclaimed moment in the script—because they thought it ran too long and distracted from the "toys, toys, toys" mentality Peters was aiming for. Smith protested, and the studio finally gave in, allowing the scene to stay. When all was said and done, Smith's script was severely compromised by the time it came to its second draft (and it reads that way, too), but WB liked it enough to give it the green-light. When it came time to cast Superman, Peters wanted to cast Sean Penn, because he "has the eyes of a killer and the charisma of a caged animal," per his performance in Dead Man Walking. But when Nicolas Cage offered his services as either Luthor or Brainiac, Smith pleaded with WB to cast Cage as Superman, feeling that Cage had the gravitas to pull the role off. Peters agreed, for totally different reasons. "Being an outsider and feeling like we don't belong is the essence of Superman," Peters boasted, saying that Cage could play up the alien side of Supes. (In later interviews, Smith changed his story, claiming that he had suggested Cage as Brainiac and that it was Peters' idea to cast Cage as Superman.) Smith tried to get his friend Robert Rodriguez (Desperado, Spy Kids) to direct the film, but Peters and WB saw the film as a vehicle for Tim Burton, who they hired shortly after Cage. Burton, having been given almost total creative control, hated Smith's script because it was too faithful to the comics (Burton doesn't read comics, and he always brags about it). So he fired Smith and trashed his script, hiring his Batman Returns crony Wesley Strick to "reinvent" Superman per Burton's vision. All the while during Burton's time on the project, WB promoted it by claiming it was "not the Superman you know." (According to AICN, Akiva Goldsman of Joel Schumacher's Batman films and Spider-Man scripter David Koepp were briefly considered for the job before Strick was chosen.)
You can read the rest (It's really a great story) here.

Yeah, Smith said that in the DVD. But damn, did it sound better (in comedy terms) coming from Smith. Reading it from there just emerts stupidness.

I recall hearing that on a bunch of Smith's Superman scripts he wrote "**** Tim Burton" on the covers

Also I am SOOO glad that Superman was not made.

Last edited:
So I just finished "An Evening with Kevin Smith 2".....

funniest **** I've seen on DVD in long time. Just as funny as Clerks 2...if not funnier. And to top it off.......it's a double disc!!!! There's a 2 hour show in Toronto on disc 1 and another 2 hour show on disc 2 in London.

Great stuff!!!!! Everyone needs to see this!!!!!

I hate Kevin Smith.

That said, I think he's a funny fella, whose material and presence is still consistently entertaining. I just think he's full of it.

Latest posts

Back