And The Word of the Year Is...

moonmaster

Without him, all of you would be lost souls roamin
w00t!!!

No, seriously.

"w00t" crowned word of year by U.S. dictionary

BOSTON (Reuters) - "w00t," an expression of joy coined by online gamers, was crowned word of the year on Tuesday by the publisher of a leading U.S. dictionary.

Massachusetts-based Merriam-Webster Inc. said "w00t" -- typically spelled with two zeros -- reflects a new direction in the American language led by a generation raised on video games and cell phone text-messaging.

It's like saying "yay," the dictionary said.

"It could be after a triumph or for no reason at all," Merriam-Webster said.

Visitors to Merriam-Webster's Web site were invited to vote for one of 20 words and phrases culled from the most frequently looked-up words on the site and submitted by readers.

Last edited:
So will w00t now appear in the dictionary?

And people still wonder why the rest of the world looks at the US like a bunch of inbred retards....

Ugh.... of all the stupid ****ing internet slang words to pick, they choose "w00t"? And not "Pwn", "n00b", "zomg", etc?

New direction in language? If this is it, it's nothing to celebrate. Seriously, even "Pwn" would've been reasonably acceptable, but "w00t"? It's not like it's newer than the others either, if anything it's older.

And people still wonder why the rest of the world looks at the US like a bunch of inbred retards....

I blame them damn New Englanders for this, trying to act hip to make up for their lack of pronunciating the letter "r" in words.

Last edited:
that article Moony linked to said:
"People look for self-evident numeral-letter substitutions: 0 for O; 3 for E; 7 for T; and 4 for A," he said. "This is simply a different and more efficient way of representing the alphabetical character."

Replacing one character with one other character, and one that's actually farther away on the keyboard, is "more efficient"?

Yeah, this guy has no ****ing clue what he's talking about.

Ugh.... of all the stupid ****ing internet slang words to pick, they choose "w00t"? And not "Pwn", "n00b", "zomg", etc?

New direction in language? If this is it, it's nothing to celebrate. Seriously, even "Pwn" would've been reasonably acceptable, but "w00t"? It's not like it's newer than the others either, if anything it's older.
I love the fact that you're mad not at the fact that they picked a stupid l33t word, but that they didn't pick a more relevant l33t word.

I love the fact that you're mad not at the fact that they picked a stupid l33t word, but that they didn't pick a more relevant l33t word.

I AM mad they picked a stupid 1337 word, but I'm even madder they picked one of the least relevant, unique or necessary ones. The word should both represent(and be coined or popularized in) the specific year in question, like "truthiness" did last year and the runner up "facebook" would have this year, and should have a degree of uniqueness to them and their meaning. w00t doesn't do either of these things. Pwn and zomg and especially n00b sort of do to a degree. But don't get me wrong.... it's stupid that they picked a word like this at all.

A 1337 word in itself shouldn't be banned from consideration or anything, but at this point we've yet to have one that deserves to win, because most of them are specifically designed to be interchangable with regular, frequently-used words, and thus usually bland and ultimately unnecessary.

Last edited:
I AM mad they picked a stupid 1337 word, but I'm even madder they picked one of the least relevant, unique or necessary ones. The word should both represent the specific year in question, like "truthiness" did last year and the runner up "facebook" would have this year, and should have a degree of uniqueness to them and their meaning. w00t doesn't do either of these things. Pwn and zomg and especially n00b sort of do to a degree. But don't get me wrong.... it's stupid that they picked a word like this at all.

A 1337 word in itself shouldn't be banned from consideration or anything, but at this point we've yet to have one that deserves to win, because most of them are specifically designed to be interchangable with regular, frequently-used words, and thus usually bland and ultimately unnecessary.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I AM mad they picked a stupid 1337 word, but I'm even madder they picked one of the least relevant, unique or necessary ones. The word should both represent(and be coined or popularized in) the specific year in question, like "truthiness" did last year and the runner up "facebook" would have this year, and should have a degree of uniqueness to them and their meaning. w00t doesn't do either of these things. Pwn and zomg and especially n00b sort of do to a degree. But don't get me wrong.... it's stupid that they picked a word like this at all.

If they'd picked "facebook" I would've slit my wrists.

"Truthiness" - especially considering it's context - was a good word for last year. Neither "w00t" nor "facebook" or any other dumb internet buzz word represents anything important that happened this year other than internet geekery and the idiot phenomenon of "Social Networking".

Neither "w00t" nor "facebook" or any other dumb internet buzz word represents anything important that happened this year other than internet geekery and the idiot phenomenon of "Social Networking".

ZOMGLOL

If they'd picked "facebook" I would've slit my wrists.

But not with "w00t"?

"Truthiness" - especially considering it's context - was a good word for last year. Neither "w00t" nor "facebook" or any other dumb internet buzz word represents anything important that happened this year other than internet geekery and the idiot phenomenon of "Social Networking".

"Facebook", at the very least, became a big deal this year, and the word itself(as a verb, which is what they mean), is useful in its own right and unique. Believe me, it would've been far from the top of my list too, and a pale comparison to last year's "truthiness", but it's a helluva lot better than "w00t". The fact that they almost picked it but then somehow decided no, "w00t" better captures 2007, boggles my mind.

In this train of thought, I'm even more surprised they didn't pick the verb/adjective/prefix "Wiki", which would make even more sense.

Latest posts

Back