And The Word of the Year Is...

I'm just surprised people get angry about something like this. No offense to anyone, but it's just hilarious. :p

Last edited:
I'm just surpried people get angry about something like this. No offense to anyone, but it's just hilarious. :p

It's not so much the naming of the word as the fact that the people supposedly in charge of keeping track of and evaluating words are apparently total morons who have no idea what's going on in modern language or how words work.

Oh, and FYI, you're being a total mugurk lately.

:lol:
But not with "w00t"?

"Facebook", at the very least, became a big deal this year, and the word itself(as a verb, which is what they mean), is useful in its own right and unique. Believe me, it would've been far from the top of my list too, and a pale comparison to last year's "truthiness", but it's a helluva lot better than "w00t". The fact that they almost picked it but then somehow decided no, "w00t" better captures 2007, boggles my mind.
As I said, it's internet geekery and "social networking".

Internet geekery is amusing/annoying at worst.

Social Networking just pisses me off, or more the fact that the media has made it look so much more interesting and important than it actually is. The fact that people have little pages devoted to talking about themselves and lists of "friends" (Note: not friends, but "friends") just reflects poorly on society. It demonstrates how weirdly self-centered we've all become.

Very few people may ever give a **** about you or your life. Don't waste your time trying to make them care, just care a little bit more about everyone else.
In this train of thought, I'm even more surprised they didn't pick the verb/adjective/prefix "Wiki", which would make even more sense.
Now I might've been fine with something like Wiki.
I'm just surpried people get angry about something like this. No offense to anyone, but it's just hilarious. :p
It's Merriam-Webster, a reputable and longstanding publisher and cataloger of the English language.

And they think "w00t" was the most important word of the year.

And "facebook" was the second best thing they could come up with.

It would be a little bit better if it wasn't reasoned as some sort of well thought-out decision.

Social Networking just pisses me off, or more the fact that the media has made it look so much more interesting and important than it actually is. The fact that people have little pages devoted to talking about themselves and lists of "friends" (Note: not friends, but "friends") just reflects poorly on society. It demonstrates how weirdly self-centered we've all become.

Very few people may ever give a **** about you or your life. Don't waste your time trying to make them care, just care a little bit more about everyone else.

Actually, it's kind of the opposite of that. You don't have Facebook, do you? If anything, it's closer to what you're saying should be happening. You don't go on Facebook to write about yourself, you do that mostly at the beginning and spend 80% of the rest of the time on their looking at other people's profiles. I've actually found out a good deal about the thoughts and interests of others because of their facebooks than I would have otherwise, and that can be either a good conversation starter if you're ever stuck with the person because you now know of a common interest, or just a neat thing that lets you see them more as a person and not just that loud kid with the black hair a few rows back.

On top of that.... it's still an extremely useful and efficient way to plan any sort of party or event rather than calling 12 different people and waiting for them to call back and have to go back and forth with details and stuff a million times. It's exactly the kind of thing that we've needed forever in that respect.

But whether or not social networking or facebook itself is "stupid" is completely besides the point in terms of it being a relevant, unique, useful, and 2007-related word.

I think the word of the year should have been Wii.

Kiwi? We haven't done that much. :D

Other than be extremely adorable!
b-kiwi-si-brown-doc.jpg

Awwwwwwwwwwwww!:heart:

I feel like I should be paid or at least credited for coining the word "w00t."

My parents have a home video of me in 1984 or 1985 using the word as a cheer. I think I may have said it first!

Latest posts

Back