Anyone Computer Savvy?

Having a problem with MSN messenger. It won't log me in and keeps giving me the same error message.

WE CAN'T SIGN YOU INTO WINDOWS LIVE MESSENGER

Signing in to Windows Live Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

Get more information.

Error Code: 8000401a

I've turned off the laptop and restarted, but this still happens.

Last edited:
I think there's a new version out for Windows now. Try downloading and installing that.

Having a problem with MSN messenger. It won't log me in and keeps giving me the same error message.

WE CAN'T SIGN YOU INTO WINDOWS LIVE MESSENGER

Signing in to Windows Live Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

Get more information.

Error Code: 8000401a

I've turned off the laptop and restarted, but this still happens.
Still with the same problem. :(

I've tried repairing it and uninstalling it, and I still get the same message.

Still with the same problem. :(

I've tried repairing it and uninstalling it, and I still get the same message.

I'll see if I can dig something up. It could be a LOT of things - maybe the addresses that the app uses to sign in are being blocked by your ISP or by malware on your PC.

Did you try to log in using the regular program AND the web site? That might give an indication if that is the problem.

In the meantime you might want to try this site: Meebo

ETA: Check this out. Could your anti-virus program be blocking it?

We have MacAfee and it doesn't block MSN. I can log in on MSN's site and on web msn, just not Windows Live Messenger. It's the only program giving me trouble.

I did a virus check the other day, letting it run all night. But someone got to it in the morning and never got the results. I'll try doing another one to see if there is something...

My router has decided to switch its NAT type from Open to Moderate, and I can't switch it back. I've tried dozens of solutions from around the net, and none of them work. This seems to be a common problem. Why can't I find a common answer? In the meantime, I can't play online with anyone who has an Open connection(i.e. all of my friends). My best friend finally got Live the same day this happened. What a piece of ****.

Oh, and one of the things I've seen suggested involves inputting your default gateway in a certain place.... only I don't seem to have a default gateway at all. The slot is just blank.

Last edited:
So I turned on my computer and tried to play a youtube clip to learn I had no sound. When I try to open volume control I hear a loud beep in my headphones and get the message "There are no active mixer device available. To install mixer device go to [...] This program will now close". And under Device Manager it shows that all under Sound (audio codec, legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture devices, media control devices, SigmaTel C-major Audio, Splitcam WDM camera stream splitter, and Video codecs) are all appaer to be working.

Now my sound was working fine a few hours earlier. I'm not sure what the problem is

Have you tried sticking the 360 outside of your routers DMZ?

To follow up on this, I've tried pretty much anything short of buying a new router, because according to the net, even that hasn't worked for some people. This seems to be a fairly widespread thing and there's no reliable way to fix it. I just thank god I'm not one of the people whose NAT type decided to change itself to "Strict". They're utterly ****ed. The same thing actually ended up happening to my friend about a week after he finally got Live, only it doesn't seem to be affecting his gameplay as much.

Completely different issue: If anyone here uses Windows Movie Maker, have you had any trouble with codecs? When I try to import avi files these days it says it doesn't have the necessary codecs. When this happens, the program is supposed to locate and download them from the MS website itself, but there's no indication that this is happening. I've specifically got it set to "automatic" and everything. In the meantime I can't edit. Any ideas?

Last edited:
So I turned on my computer and tried to play a youtube clip to learn I had no sound. When I try to open volume control I hear a loud beep in my headphones and get the message "There are no active mixer device available. To install mixer device go to [...] This program will now close". And under Device Manager it shows that all under Sound (audio codec, legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture devices, media control devices, SigmaTel C-major Audio, Splitcam WDM camera stream splitter, and Video codecs) are all appaer to be working.

Now my sound was working fine a few hours earlier. I'm not sure what the problem is

do you have different audio codecs? try using one over the other.

So my mouse has been failing on me. I bought a new very nice I like but the thing won't work. Everytime I plug in the receiver Windows pops up the "Found New Hardware" Thing and I just can't get it to recognized the receiver. I downloaded what the instructions told me to but still nothing.

I'm using Pinnacle Studio now and it refuses to let me edit any of the video I want to. I'm trying to open YouTube clips I've saved and converted to AVI, but it just says "Pinnacle Studio is not enabled to work with PAL". They're not PAL. Why would they be PAL? I've tried it with a bunch of different videos of different shapes and sizes, from AVI to Quicktime, mp4, etc. Apparently every single video on my computer is "PAL". Can't find a solution on the net. Garbage.

The real pain is that I would be happily using Windows Movie Maker if it didn't make all the clips lag. Just half a second or so, but that half-second is crucial.

So lately the clock on my piece of **** laptop kept resetting itself randomly - it would move back so many hours or minutes, or forward. It was annoying, besides being disorienting, because last.fm won't scrobble unless the clock is correct. Finally, last night it just stopped working. When you turn it on a screen appears that says "time of day clock stopped". I googled it. This is most likely caused by the CMOS battery burning out. It could be replaced, at relatively small cost and the loss of all data on the computer. (Not a problem, as I have everything on my external harddrive) But a lot of people seem to be saying that it's only temporary and that it starts resetting again, and that there might be a defect in the motherboard or something that's causing it.

My dilemma is this: I could go through the trouble of figuring all this out, possibly replacing the battery, possibly being let down, and all that hassle, or I could just say **** it and buy a new laptop. The reasonable part of me is saying that I should at least try to fix it but I've had this laptop for a little over a year, it's out of warranty and it's given me a lot of trouble before. I'm worried that even if I fix this problem, I'll have another one soon enough, which is ridiculous. Columbia has an Apple store and offers a $100 discount on macbooks. I've always been a little averse to macs but every PC I've owned has let me down far too quickly. I've got a lot of money in the bank that isn't going anywhere and could most certainly afford to buy a new laptop but I'm having trouble deciding if I should.

What do you guys think?

Latest posts

Back