Captain Canuck

The poster formerly known as captaincanuck65
Bryan Cranston - James Gordon
Ben McKenzie - Bruce Wayne/Batman
Eliza Dushku - Selina Kyle/Catwoman
Katee Sackhoff - Sarah Essen
Alex Rocco - Carmine Falcone

Heatvision:
Lauren Montgomery and Sam Liu are directing the movie, the 12th entry in the successful series of DC universe animated originals. Tab Murphy wrote the script.
The feature adapts the landmark four-issue story written by Miller and drawn by David Mazzucchelli that first appeared in 1987 on the heels of Miller's seminal work, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. Those tomes, along with The Watchmen, helped elevate the comics medium, changing the public's perception of the art form and influencing Hollywood writers and artists to this day.

As one of the holy grails in comic books, Year One will be closely scrutinized for faithfulness, but superhero animation veteran Bruce Timm, who is exec producing, says there is very little in the movie that isn't in the comic.
"The source material is surprisingly cinematic; it's a pretty straight forward literal retelling," he says. "Mazzucchelli's artwork is beautifully composed and we were able to refer to the comic for about 80 percent of the camera setups."

Batman: Year One, which will be rated PG-13, is scheduled to be released on home video in the fall but will world premiere in July at Comic-Con.
batman-pics-2011-a-l.jpg

Last edited:
As much as I think this has no business being made (between Mask of the Phantasm, Batman Begins and Batman 1989, all the best parts of Year One have already been covered and arguably improved upon), I'm still looking forward to how this turns out. Ben McKenzie's an interestingly good and bold choice for a younger Batman. I really hope they play the "I shall become a Bat" scene 100% straight from the comics.

I also like how the cast member playing Gordon is given top billing, as he's kind of the main character of Year One. Gordon's arc in that story (the affair with Essen, the rivalry with Flass and Loeb, etc) is the one great argument for why this should be made and they should definitely treat him as the main character of the movie.

Last edited:
Kinda annoyed with yet another Batman DTV.

Why can't we get a full length Green Arrow, base it on the Showcase mini

Because, sadly, I think a GREEN ARROW dtv would be a hard sell. :/

It's a shame. I'd like to see more original cartoons that were proper in-their-own-right movies rather than just poor adaptations of popular (sometimes not even good) comics.

Just watched the Superman/Shazam disc and I LOVED the Green Arrow mini.

I still say they need to do a Kingdom Come DTV

Apparently the next animated movie will be Tower of Babel.

It's hard to imagine a relationship between Walter White and Starbuck.

It's a pity this is animated and so redundant, because Bryan Cranston is the best and most comic-accurate choice for Jim Gordon I've ever heard. He'd tie Gary Oldman in a live-action portrayal, although I think Oldman's sort of scrawny geekiness makes the character even better.

I thought they were making a Dark Knight Returns DTV, not a Year One DTV.

first of all, welcome deadpool1233!

they're making that next (or at least soon)

EDIT: according to Wikipedia, DC has 4 DTV animated movies in the works
Green Lantern: Emerald Knights - set to come out in July just before the Green Lantern movie as an anthology prequel much like Gotham Knights was to TDK
Batman: Year One
Justice League: Doom - "a loose adaptation of JLA: Tower of Babel"
and The Dark Knight Returns. It seems this one is the furthest away from being released and might be a year or so in the making.

Last edited:
I'd like them to do Alan Moore's TWILIGHT OF THE SUPERHEROES since it will never be made as a comic.

Or, I'd like them to do SEVEN SOLDIERS OF VICTORY.

Because as a DVD it would be awesome. You have the 20-minute prologue, then seven 20-minute stories, one for each Soldier, that you can play in whatever order you want, and then you have the big finale (which could be bigger than the comic since it was rushed) that could be 40-minutes. You could have a "play all" feature that randomizes which order the soldiers' stories are played in.

It would be a big undertaking, and it would have a lot of unknown characters, but it would be a ton of fun.

Latest posts

Back