Batman: Year One/Long Halloween

There any other trades in the Batman universe that kind of follow this or that I wouldn't have to read other stuff to read it?

Catwoman: When in Rome is by Loeb and Sale and fits into Long Halloween/Dark Victory.

i just bought and read Batman Year One today. I liked it.
Some Questions about Year one:
Are "Batman and the Monster Men" or Batman and the Mad Monk" any good?

and How does "Batman: Haunted Knight" fit into the year one stuff? I read on wikipedia that it's like Dicken's "A Christmas Carol" with different villains representing the ghosts of Halloween Past, Present, and Future.

I finally read the Long Halloween. I loved it and tonight I'll be reading Dark victory. LOVED all the godfather references. I also loved how I some scenes were very close to some some ark knight ones (and yes I know why but it's cool) It also kept me guessing all the way through and the twist ending I never saw coming. Though my favourite scene in the comic was
Joker stealing christmas while quoting th grinch :lol:

I hope Dark Victory is this good. I also read part of "haunted knight" but just the story "Ghosts" which I loved. A batman version of a christmas carol? awesome!

Last edited:
I thought Dark Victory was even better than Long Halloween, until all the pointless Robin bull**** that is.

Just finiished Dark victory. I did not mind the robin stuff except like 1 page when he took out joker and helped batman take out the others. He shouldn't have been that good that quick. But I loved how the robin story was handled and the comparison pages of young bruce and dick. It helped us understand the relationship more.

I never guessed who the hang man killer was. I honestly thought it was two-face all long playing against Dent. Also after these last two i really want to read more stories with Calendar man as he was sorta like Hannibal Lecter type in long halloween and dark victory he kept it up.

Just finiished Dark victory. I did not mind the robin stuff except like 1 page when he took out joker and helped batman take out the others. He shouldn't have been that good that quick. But I loved how the robin story was handled and the comparison pages of young bruce and dick. It helped us understand the relationship more.

I never guessed who the hang man killer was. I honestly thought it was two-face all long playing against Dent. Also after these last two i really want to read more stories with Calendar man as he was sorta like Hannibal Lecter type in long halloween and dark victory he kept it up.

I can't stand the Robin origin in Long Halloween.

He basically becomes Robin out of neglect and loneliness, rather than genuinely wanting to avenge the deaths of his parents. Batman is such an a-hole to him, until Dick becomes Robin and when he does, Batman practically responds by saying "Cool, whatever."

The only thing I liked about Robin's origin in Dark Victory was that it gave a better explanation of his costume than had been given before. He wears the bright colours as a way of honouring The Flying Graysons. Granted, this is still a bit dumb. It's not like Batman wears a white doctor's coat.

The animated series gave Robin a much better origin.

He wears the bright colours as a way of honouring The Flying Graysons. Granted, this is still a bit dumb. It's not like Batman wears a white doctor's coat.

To be fair though they are two separate people. Dick becomes robin as a child and is taught as a child. His thought is "Is I'll honor my parents by wearing their stuff"

Bruce becomes batman as an adult, he trained all his life, he thought as an adult. His thoughts are "I'll honour my parents by making sure their death doesn't happen to anyone else."

So we have Robin a child wanting to honour his parents and so he transforms himself in to a walking tribute because he doesn't understand the deep levels batman does. Batman an adult transforms himself in to a symbol that's needed to do what he wants to do. So in that way batman's costume is a tribute but on a deeper level.

So yeah it's not dumb it makes sense.

I re-read Long Halloween the other day (I'm really pumped up for the new game) and I think it was my favourite reading of it. I finally, completely understood the ending and it was easier to keep track of all of the different characters, having read it a few times before.

The only major criticism I have of it is that Bruce Wayne is basically, obviously-Batman the whole time. He's huge, athletic-looking and really brooding and grumpy the whole time. He even tells Selina (someone he doesn't even know well enough to know that she's Catwoman) that the only reason he's still in Gotham is because he made a vow to his dead parents.

I'm reading Dark Victory and I've decided that it's not canon for me, because its characterisation of Batman throughout the story is horribly wrong, culminating in the ridiculously implausible way in which he allows Robin into his world. I can't abide by Batman being so cold and heartless about Harvey Dent at the start of the story. It's a fun read and there are some great moments in it, but Loeb just gets it all wrong with the main character.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back