Bendis: clone saga is going to be ‘ultimized’

Bendis is so hit or miss, guys. Seriously, he can do one story and totally blow us out of the water and then blow it all together when it comes time to follow it up. I'm guessing that, if Carnage wasn't it, the next Clone chapter will most definitely stink.

Goodwill said:
Bendis is so hit or miss, guys. Seriously, he can do one story and totally blow us out of the water and then blow it all together when it comes time to follow it up. I'm guessing that, if Carnage wasn't it, the next Clone chapter will most definitely stink.
Well, assuming your theory is self-balancing maybe Carnage will remain sucky forever and the next Clone chapter will be so good the Overstreet Price value for the Clone issues will go up. Good thing I still have those issues in bag and board! :D

You didn't like Carnage? You're joking right? That right there is what the Ultimate Universe has needed for a while - a radical departure from 616.

Goodwill said:
You didn't like Carnage? You're joking right? That right there is what the Ultimate Universe has needed for a while - a radical departure from 616.
It wasn't a radical departure though. Gwen, someone Peter is emotionally close too dies at the hand of a very personal villain. Peter is summarily upset.

The only real difference was in Gwen's character and the manner of her death.

And the fact that there was no Cletus Cassiday, Connors was responsible, Ben Reilly was a black guy, and there were a bunch of villains and things that showed up that didn't show up the way they did here in 616. ;)

Goodwill said:
And the fact that there was no Cletus Cassiday, Connors was responsible, Ben Reilly was a black guy, and there were a bunch of villains and things that showed up that didn't show up the way they did here in 616. ;)
Which, apart from Connors, had nothing to do with the story of Gwen Stacy's death. Carnage wasn't about Carnage, it was about Gwen dying.

The argument was about the arc as a whole. Why you would split it into two different things to win an argument is beyond me. As a whole, the arc was a change from what you saw in 616.

Goodwill said:
The argument was about the arc as a whole. Why you would split it into two different things to win an argument is beyond me. As a whole, the arc was a change from what you saw in 616.
To me, this wasn't a story about Carnage. Carnage just happened to be there. The story of the Carnage arc was all about Gwen dying and Peter's initial reaction. Other than Ben Reilly actually existing, what else happened in Carnage? Peter got mad at Connors...because Gwen died. Reilly showed up but ran away...because Gwen died. Carnage has so far simply been means to an end and, yes, its not impossible that the Clone Saga will happen and Carnage would be a main part of that but the story, "Carnage", those six issues, barely touches upon Reilly and only vaguely on the Carnage organism itself, its all about Gwen.

Yes, but there were departures from 616 that was obvious... Because of Gwen's death or otherwise. That's the point I'm making.

Goodwill said:
Yes, but there were departures from 616 that was obvious... Because of Gwen's death or otherwise. That's the point I'm making.
I'm not saying there weren't departures, I'm saying that the point of the story, the effect on Peter was pretty similar to what happened in 616. The departures at this point are basically meaningless. Easter eggs.

Easter eggs or otherwise, the Carnage arc as a whole was a vast difference from 616. Compared to other stories in the Ultimate Universe, this has been one that sticks out as one of the more original.

I dunno, but it's nice Carnage is the spider-clone. He too, got lost in the chimney smoke stack after all.

I would have actually welcomed a proper ultimization of the clone saga. The original idea was pretty interesting, just heavily flawed in the writing department.

I think it would have worked if they just made two clones, one of them a failed project later becoming Kaine, and the other being the Scarlet Spider. As long as you have none of that Reilly is Parker nonsense, and keep it clear from the start just who is the clone, then I think it would be interesting. Perhaps SS could have stolen Spideys limelight, and the two could have competed to comedic effect while eventually facing the threat of Kaine.

And as long as Miles Warren didn't become a hairy lame Joker rip off.

Fuzzy Birds said:
I would have actually welcomed a proper ultimization of the clone saga. The original idea was pretty interesting, just heavily flawed in the writing department.

I think it would have worked if they just made two clones, one of them a failed project later becoming Kaine, and the other being the Scarlet Spider. As long as you have none of that Reilly is Parker nonsense, and keep it clear from the start just who is the clone, then I think it would be interesting. Perhaps SS could have stolen Spideys limelight, and the two could have competed to comedic effect while eventually facing the threat of Kaine.

you have a good point there...as the saga did start off strong...if miles warren is exactly the same as he is in 616, i will immediately cease reading ult spidey

Fuzzy Birds said:

The Jackal can be revamped... He's definitely a really big threat to Spider-Man, why not ultimize him?

Hnh..

I liked Ultimate Carnage.. and I loved the clone saga.. (I started reading comics regularly when Ben was spider-man.. so I guess I'm a bit attached to him.)

I hope they do an ultimate clone saga later on, even though I agree that the carnage one was what Bendis was referring to.

While I'm not convinced that the clone saga has blown over yet, I do think Bendis was referring to Carnage. We've still got Ben, the blood sample, and Venom to tie stuff up in that wing... I would tie Venom to this only because his father's work really got the wheels spinning for Connors.

Latest posts

Back