Bendis explains Gwen Stacy's death; 2 new Ultimizations coming

SO it seems that UDP will appear as a character in USM, rather than in his own mini. While slightly confusing in that Deadpool and Spidey have only met once in 616, and that meeting was in an issue never even finished and sold, it does make sense because the characters would work together.

It will be interesting to see how Bendis handles him, a complete history re-vamp wouldn't be surprising.

For those that have been asking, Deadpool isn't a wolverine character, although they have met a couple of times. His origins do date back to Weapon X, although only a few issues have dealt with this, he is by no means a Weapon X or X-men character. He is generally in his own little nieche, not directly connected to any of the big titles, and is a mercenary, and so crossing Spiderman would not be unlikely at all.

As for the rest of the news, I'm glad to hear Connors will return, I like his Ultimate incarnation, but I must confess, I know almost nothing about Silver Sable, so that fails to excite me too much...

Well, the real question is, of all characters to use and re-vamp history, why Deadpool? What will be his role in this series, hero or villain? Seriously, if we're left asking these questions, is it really worth having him stop bye? I'd rather see Venom again...

I think Bendis just wants to use the character. This could have huge repurcussions on the ULTIMATE line of comics. This could mean that Deadpool could end up being a wasted character instead of a really interesting one that could be used in UXM, USM and Ultimates. I can't see Deadpool fitting in with UFF.

Bendis'll probably use UDP's role in USM like what Punisher's was in Amazing Spider-Man, in his first appeareance, which is hired assasin. Though the idea may be cool, I think UDP isn't someone that really fits in USM, but more like UXM.

roguefan said:
I think Bendis just wants to use the character. This could have huge repurcussions on the ULTIMATE line of comics. This could mean that Deadpool could end up being a wasted character instead of a really interesting one that could be used in UXM, USM and Ultimates. I can't see Deadpool fitting in with UFF.

I agree. A lot of named characters are already being 'wasted' as it were and not given their due.

Basically, there are three tiers of 616 character: characters the Ultimates writers' love; characters that sell huge numbers of books; characters the Ultimates writers' hate or don't care about.

If the character is in the first category, he will be an important part of the Ultimates universe, and treated with respect. He'll be 'ultimatized' and made 'cool'.

If the character is in the second category, he will be more or less the same as his 616 counterpart, but not really instrumental to the books.

If the character is in the third category, regardless of who loves him in the fanbase, if he appears at all, he'll be a joke or quickly ignored.

Some characters are not just one of these tiers, but others are. I get really annoyed when a character I (or even someone else) likes or loves it treated with such disdain, mainly because in a book that on one hand, brings out the best of Marvel characters, I find it unfair that, with the other hand, exposes only the worst.

Eh, but then it happens all the time in comics. Personally, I think if you write a pre-existing character, you should love it. If you don't, leave them out of the comic entirely.

TheManWithoutFear said:

I would imagine there would be better ideas and more successful stories if there was patience... Here we have Bendis geeking out, forgetting what his fans truly want, and doing what he thinks he would like. Well, I'm not sure if I put that correctly, however, I know that he's too anxious with all of these characters and I think he should use the ones that are available to him. How about more personal encounters between individual members of the Ultimates instead of introducing new characters?

Goodwill said:
Well, the real question is, of all characters to use and re-vamp history, why Deadpool?

Bendis just got done saying it's not about "revamping"...so that's why.

Well, all of what he said can be discounted due to stuff he said in that same interview and what he's said before. I really don't see the point of paying attention to all of the fluff that he says besides "I'm going to be using..." and "I've got a big surprise for all of you in issue...", seriously, nothing else is worth it... ;)

Goodwill said:
Well, all of what he said can be discounted due to stuff he said in that same interview and what he's said before.

You're going to have to be more specific...

Well, for instance, he claims that the title is about Peter... This is his explanation for why he killed Gwen... However, all of these characters are hopping on taking time away from Peter. You see?

Goodwill said:
Well, for instance, he claims that the title is about Peter... This is his explanation for why he killed Gwen... However, all of these characters are hopping on taking time away from Peter. You see?

I don't.

But regardless, I hardly think you can completely discount what he says because of how you felt about how closely one of the stories fit his description...

Eh, excuse me, but I'm just looking for excuses to get on Bendis' back for bringing USM down. I'd really like to see it back to what it used to be...

Goodwill said:
Eh, excuse me, but I'm just looking for excuses to get on Bendis' back for bringing USM down. I'd really like to see it back to what it used to be...

Ohkay...I mean, whatever floats your boat. I don't even disagree with you, but what I'm saying is that there are better examples to bolster your arguement.

Back on topic...

So, could Deadpool fit into the schedule he's got for the title thus far, the Annual, or is he going to be after 100?

Wow, great interview.

That is a great way to describe the Ultimate Universe. I like Bendis' analogy.

I am looking forward to Silver Sable appearing now! Also, new original villains in Ultimate Spider-Man and New Avengers is excellent!

Latest posts

Back