Bendis....How did you ruin Deadpool?!

First off, I'd like to say wow. That is a hell of an avatar. It shows commitment to the character.

Second, I understand what you're saying about not hating the character, but also not being what you wanted/expected. I'd say the overall let down that everyone saw coming is that 616 Deadpool is a really original character, with respect to the characters around him. I think everyone suspected Bendis would be able to reproduce that with Ultimate Deadpool. It doesn't mean he can't be a decent character, but it kind of excludes him from being a great character.

You could say since we've only just encounter Ultimate Deadpool he hasn't had a chance to come into his own. This is true and a future writer could do a lot with the character, but it's going to take work to make him more than a raving lunatic.

MaxwellSmart said:
First off, I'd like to say wow. That is a hell of an avatar. It shows commitment to the character.

Second, I understand what you're saying about not hating the character, but also not being what you wanted/expected. I'd say the overall let down that everyone saw coming is that 616 Deadpool is a really original character, with respect to the characters around him. I think everyone suspected Bendis would be able to reproduce that with Ultimate Deadpool. It doesn't mean he can't be a decent character, but it kind of excludes him from being a great character.

You could say since we've only just encounter Ultimate Deadpool he hasn't had a chance to come into his own. This is true and a future writer could do a lot with the character, but it's going to take work to make him more than a raving lunatic.

Well thought words, I agree.

lol, yeah. I thought I could use this new avatar to freak out some people.

I just think that Deadpool should have appeared in Ultimate X-Men (and right now Kirkman would own Bendis's verison of DP)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Bendis needs a break from Ultimate Spider-Man. Give the title to a different writer for a year or two and have Bendis come back with fresh new ideas...or keep Bendis away from Ultimate Spider-Man.

(Although I would offer my opinion on keeping Bendis away from ANYTHING Ultimate)

Foolsfolly said:
I just think that Deadpool should have appeared in Ultimate X-Men (and right now Kirkman would own Bendis's verison of DP)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Bendis needs a break from Ultimate Spider-Man. Give the title to a different writer for a year or two and have Bendis come back with fresh new ideas...or keep Bendis away from Ultimate Spider-Man.

(Although I would offer my opinion on keeping Bendis away from ANYTHING Ultimate)

I think he just wants to break Stan Lee and Ditko's record. For writer and artist being on the same comic for so long.

Hibiki said:
I think he just wants to break Stan Lee and Ditko's record. For writer and artist being on the same comic for so long.

You hit it right on the head of the nail. That's why Bendis is still on USM till at least issue #120.

Hibiki said:
Which is a horrible thing to do, quality of the book is the number one priority, not some dumb record

I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say that Bendis ruined Deadpool, although I think it's far from his' best "ultimization". It always felt to me that Deadpool took a little while to fully grow into his character in the 616 universe - he wasn't the merc with the mouth just over night.

I'm hopping that the way that the character ended up at the end of the "deadpool" stoy will later be seen as the begining of his time in the ultimate universe - with him going on to develop from there into more of the character that we know and love.

Oh - first post here - yeah me! :D

No. Bendis ruined it. In fact, E has a thread here somewhere explaining why Deadpool's arc was worse than Ultimate Ironman.

Oh yeah......welcome.

spectre said:
I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say that Bendis ruined Deadpool, although I think it's far from his' best "ultimization". It always felt to me that Deadpool took a little while to fully grow into his character in the 616 universe - he wasn't the merc with the mouth just over night.

I'm hopping that the way that the character ended up at the end of the "deadpool" stoy will later be seen as the begining of his time in the ultimate universe - with him going on to develop from there into more of the character that we know and love.

Oh - first post here - yeah me! :D

Welcome! Great to have you here.

A couple things, Deadpool was hardly original, He was just a Deathstroke copy initially with a differant sense of humor, or at least that's what I've been led to beleive.

Second, spectre, your comment on 616 characters growing into their characters is mostly true for all marvel characters. Characters like Doc Ock or Kang were never in the least bit complex in their first appearances, it's taken them 40 years to become credible complex characters. Characters like Deadpool and Venom have had only 20 years; Deadpool has been lucky when it comes to creators trying to make him more than a deathstroke clone [which is pretty much what Ultimate Deadpool is], sadly Venom hasn't been so lucky.

does anyone else think thas would've been slightly better if it was the chameleon instead of deadpool i mean he was a shapeshifter (WTF?)

Chameleon's not really a shapeshifter. He's...a master of desguise and yes Chameleon should have appeared by now and Deadpool had no business in Ultimate Spider-Man and I'm tired of all the guest spots on Ultimate Spider-Man.

Especially Wolverine since imo Bendis doesn't write the canuk all that well.

Latest posts

Back