Bendis Marking his Territory?

Also remember that Tarantula, Spider-Woman and Mysterio are comming up. :roll:

I just hope Bendis does some justice to Scorpian and Mysterio.

Zombipanda said:
Thanks, Bass.

I have a problem with Peter Parker running into a new villain every other day, but my main problem is, it just feels like he's cutting the Ultimate Universe by the balls. I feel like the whole point of this line is to give writers an opportunity to play with core themes that aren't feasible in the massive runs of the main books.

But the real problem is, Bendis has already set a framework for all of these rogues. He has to recognize that eventually he'll have to step down. Sure, the new writer will have plenty of villains floating around to mess with, but they're still trapped by the parameters Bendis has already set.

No, it's not alright or him to just "get those characters out there" because he's ruining it for whatever team follows him.
I think Bendis didn't expect it would grow this big or last as long

welcome Zombipanda (which the coolest name ever)

I agree with this. I was impressed with the depth of the his first villains. Green Goblin and Doc Ock were brillant. Kingpin was fleshed out. Even Electro and Kraven were interesting. I loved Venom. While I was impressed with Carnage has a retelling the story wasn't great.

Now he've had nothing but the same villains over and over again. Hobgoblin was a rip on Green Gobln but made sense so he can get away with that. Vulture and like no story, same with Omega Red, Killer Skrike, and others. I do like the fact that some can be jokes villains. I personally love the Shocker and Boomrang. But two are enough, you don't need a new one every arc. That's why I'm not excited for Scorpion. Just more of the same.

First, E- Alright, maybe that was improperly said. He's not ruining the chances for the team that follows him. Given the right people, the line could be written into classic territory. What I should have said is "Bendis is needlessly limiting the possibilities for whatever team follows him".

Lynx- Have we heard proof that Mysterio's coming up? Is that happening in the Parker Dynasty (or whatever the 100 issue arc is called) because that's real interesting.

Random- I'd beleive that, but all the problems have come recently. Bendis started pacing himself real well. I don't feel there was a problem until he got well into the series, at which point he should have realized the momentum the series had.

thee great one- Thank you. I thought it was a fitting name for the man People Magazine dubbed "The most righteous dude on the face of this planet". My feeling is, he's presented Hobgoblin and Green Goblin, and the fact is, those are two of the better arcs in the series. Despite being similar characters, they work because they focus only on those characters, and work on developing a strong relationship between the hero and villain. They might seem derivative of each other, but they still work better than the stories with huge casts.

That said, I agree. I like the dynamic he's built up with Spider-Man. His motivations are set up nicely. He wants to shut down the Kingpin, but these other distractions keep getting in his way. I like the direction Bendis is gonig. I just wish he'd do it with a stronger focus, and without the needless luf of these throwaway characters. Also, I agree. I know people ***** about Shocker being a joke villain, but the way I feel, this is a retelling of the main Marvel Universe, and recognizing the D-level status of Shocker is a nice nod to the mainstream universe. Throw away D-level villains. I'd love to see Big Wheel. But don't feel the need to waste classic characters like Vulture.

Personaly I love what he has done so far.
I only buy the tpb so I would not have the same problem as the people who bought the issues.

I Prefure ultimate spider-man to 616 spider-man.

The only arc I did not like was Ultimate Six.

Heres how I see it.

Comics have changed the target age group has changed. Some people will of started reading these because of the movie. So He makes it like the movie in away. The idea of diffrent villan diffrent arc is great. Later I have no dought he'll say ok enough time has passed lets bring back *insert villan*. The thing people forget is yes only a sort time has passed in peter parker's life but the same amount of time has passed in the villans life. For all we know He could be doing so it is more realistic when the villan comes back new and improved.

Have faith I am sure something big is been planned. Maybe Ultimate Secret Wars! or how about kingpin getting out. King pin could start a new Sinister six to fight Spider-man. The clone story in 616 (scarlet spider-man) was a GREAT idea. But they dragged it out too long. When the ultimate scarlet Spider-man shows up with the way things are resolved pretty quick I think it will Amazing.

sjmole said:
Personaly I love what he has done so far.
I only buy the tpb so I would not have the same problem as the people who bought the issues.

I also just read the trades. And hey, I'm still having the problem.

Comics have changed the target age group has changed. Some people will of started reading these because of the movie. So He makes it like the movie in away. The idea of diffrent villan diffrent arc is great.

Are you saying the "new villain every arc" thing is unique? Because, eerr, that's how things have been going in comics for a while. I mean, unless you have, say, Jeph Loeb writing the story, in which case every villain in the character's rogues gallery will show up. The problem isn't introducing new villains every plot. It's throwing in villains that just pop in, saay "'Sup Spider-man?" and are then tossed away.

Later I have no dought he'll say ok enough time has passed lets bring back *insert villan*. The thing people forget is yes only a sort time has passed in peter parker's life but the same amount of time has passed in the villans life.

Wait. Huh?

For all we know He could be doing so it is more realistic when the villan comes back new and improved.

Wait. Huh?

Anyway, all confusion aside, that's irrelevent to the argument. The problem is that he's leaving less wiggle room for whatever creative team follows him.

Have faith I am sure something big is been planned. Maybe Ultimate Secret Wars! or how about kingpin getting out. King pin could start a new Sinister six to fight Spider-man. The clone story in 616 (scarlet spider-man) was a GREAT idea. But they dragged it out too long. When the ultimate scarlet Spider-man shows up with the way things are resolved pretty quick I think it will Amazing.

Erm.... You realize the Clone Saga in Spider-Man was a means to skirt years of continuity and create a Spider-Man more in line with the original themes of the character, right?:roll: Is this something USM needs?

Sarcastic ******* bull****? See previous post.

Erm.... You realize the Clone Saga in Spider-Man was a means to skirt years of continuity and create a Spider-Man more in line with the original themes of the character, right? Is this something USM needs?
Well, the Venom Project storyline coming full circle seems like it makes a lot of sense now, doesn't it? I mean, considering how hard they've pushed the storyline since Venom, what with Carnage and Gwen Stacy?

I can see that. Bendis said that the video game was going to cover all of the Venom storyline for this year, but the Parker Legacy plot should run well into next year. You're right. I'd be incredibly surprised if the fallout from Venom/Carnage didn't play prominently into the #100 story.

He probably meant 2005. USM was released on September 22, 2005.

2006 could be a new year, in terms of having Venom-capades.

jeremiahvedder said:
He probably meant 2005. USM was released on September 22, 2005.

2006 could be a new year, in terms of having Venom-capades.
Nope. Bendis said he will not be writing Venom into USM for quite sometime.

Course he won't.

Bendis doesn't like Venom.

Why isn't a big wonder why Ultimate Venom is balls. Same for Ultimate Carnage. And Vulture. Rhino. Shocker. Killer Shrike. Omega Red.

Bendis ultimises characters he doesn't like and treats those characters terribly, by making them whipping boys for the 'powers that be' in his story. I find that a little sick and arrogant, as if the characters were so bad, that if he ultimises them, no matter how slight, it somehow makes them 'better'.

Bendis can ultimise as many 'crappy' 90s villains as he wants but here's the thing - at least those writers of the 90s were trying to make new villains, no matter how derivative they may have been. Carnage, Kaine, Omega Red, The Jury, Maverick... at least they were trying.

Bendis has created one new supervillain in nearly 100 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man - and it was ****ing Geldoff.

I find his writing ethic quite hypocritical.

Last edited:
Regardless, the storyline should end up stretching into 2007, which would mean Venom could make an appearance.

Bass - hm... Has Bendis talked a lot of **** about the original iterations of Spider-Man villains? Because that's absolutely absurd. I didn't know.

Carnage was a failed clone of Peter, wasn't he?

It's gotta have some connection to Connors, whether Venom or (a) Carnage actually show up or not.

Good guess. A failed clone of Peter's father. :) I thought the idea of Carnage was good up until that twist, actually.

I think they should just bring Connors back. I think that would make the title all the more interesting again. That was actually my favorite part about the Carnage arc. Bendis created and destroyed both of his best creations in the Carnage arc - Connors and Gwen. In my honest opinion, those were the two characters that really made the title interesting for me. They're both gone... For now. :twisted:

Zombipanda said:
Bass - hm... Has Bendis talked a lot of **** about the original iterations of Spider-Man villains? Because that's absolutely absurd. I didn't know.

In the USM script books, Wizard, Power letters page (I think) - when I was enjoying Bendis' stories, I would read a lot of what he said. I remember hearing, continuously, how he thought Rhino and Vulture were stupid villains, that Venom and Carnage were ****e, Omega Red and Deadpool are crappy, etc.

So he takes these characters he hates, and because he hates them, thinks that whatever he does to them is an improvement because he ****s gold. So he ultimises them with no thought or insight, and just wastes them.

Not surprising - he seems to even do this to characters he likes, too.

Bass said:
You'd think you could sell that stuff, but the jeweller's market is a uppity one...

virgin blood is worth more.

And I wanted to answer this but the thread was closed....

Bass said:
I failed because I am all things. Both good and bad. Success and failure. Beginnings and endings. I am the Nexus.

HEY!

I tell people that.

But mine is more of I'm like a broom. I go both ways.

Latest posts

Back