Bendis talks on Ultimate Spider-Man at CBR; Ultimate Spider-Man #87 preview.

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
[IMGL]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/icycleman/BMB.bmp[/IMGL] CBR has posted an article with Brian Michael Bendis talking on Ultimate Spider-Man. Also available is a 6 page preview, along with the cover, of Ultimate Spider-Man #87.

Brian Michael Bendis has gotten a lot of attention for making waves in the mainstream Marvel Universe as the writer of titles such as "House of M" and "New Avengers." However, two of his longest running Marvel titles, "Ultimate Spider-Man" and "Powers," aren't even set in mainstream Marvel U. CBR News rang up Bendis for a chat about both titles.

As readers of "Ultimate Spider-Man" have seen, the recent life of teenage Peter Parker has been full of angst, sadness and gloom. "It's been a very dark period for Peter with a lot of growing up lessons and a lot of tragedy around him," Bendis told CBR News. "It's a very real world book. Sometimes that can get a little gruesome, but hey, that's the rigors of being a teenager. You open your eyes look around and go, 'Oh this sucks!'"

Read the rest and view the preview at the link above.

Any chance you could take the picture out of the post?

I could do without that big smug slaphead gurning at me everytime I visit this site.

Anyway, sounds interesting, but I think this Silver Sable arc better be bloody good to justify 5 (6?) issues. I'm just looking forward to the countdown to issue 100, at least we'll get some pretty important and hard hitting stories there. Maybe.

Fuzzy Birds said:
Any chance you could take the picture out of the post?

I could do without that big smug slaphead gurning at me everytime I visit this site.
Hmmm...

NAAAAAAH! :D

Fuzzy Birds said:
Anyway, sounds interesting, but I think this Silver Sable arc better be bloody good to justify 5 (6?) issues. I'm just looking forward to the countdown to issue 100, at least we'll get some pretty important and hard hitting stories there. Maybe.
It's 5 issues.

Fuzzy Birds said:
As a big smug slaphead himself, Ice takes offense at your suggestion ;) :p

BURNmastertron! :twisted:

Last edited:
I think they switched the word baloons on page 3, lower left panel. I think Peter is supposed to be the one saying that Kong can form his own identity.

icemastertron said:
Actually, I don't.
Yes you do.

I skimmed the interview. And I just can't get excited with it. It's just more Bendis, more big boobs, more teen angst and kooky conversation.
I don't know what I want from him really, can he deliver what I would consider a great story? I think he's capable of it, I just don't see it happening anytime soon. He's just going through the motions isn't he?
Like Fuzzy Birds says, we can only hope that the lead up to issue 100 and the clone saga has something a bit more tangible.

I want to care about Ult. Spidey, I really do.

The preview looks like it Peter has some of the same questions we do about Aunt May not being so dumb and his relationship with Kitty. The way he's acting I can see him finally realizing he's just with Kitty for the sake of being with Kitty. Probably gonna be there downfall.... still no answer to why Sable doesn't know who Spider-Man is... :x

Preview looks pretty good. We have a good explanation as to why they grabbed Flash and missed Peter. This is why it might have been a good idea to wait for this issue before complaining how lame it was for them to grab Flash out of the alley when Peter swung in. Bendis' writing on USM hasn't been his best lately (though Warriors was an upturn) but he's not a complete amature.

Last edited:
Blacksword said:
Preview looks pretty good. We have a good explanation as to why they grabbed Flash and missed Peter. This is why it might have been a good idea to wait for this issue before complaining how lame it was for them to grab Flash out of the alley when Peter swung in. Bendis' writing on USM hasn't been his best lately (though Warriors was an upturn) but he's not a complete amature.
It's believable for the goons but not for Sable. She clearly doesn't realise it's not Spidey when she sees Flash's face and hears his name.

Last edited:
Ah, to not have played the game at all.

This story makes perfect sense for me so far, you know? ;)

I was amused by MJ's inner dialogue in the first page. Looks promising.

UltimateE said:
I think they switched the word baloons on page 3, lower left panel. I think Peter is supposed to be the one saying that Kong can form his own identity.

They did. They've done it before as well.

Guijllons said:
I skimmed the interview. And I just can't get excited with it. It's just more Bendis, more big boobs, more teen angst and kooky conversation.

How can you not be excited about big boobs?

Bendis from CBR interview said:
Bendis structured the game's story so it fits in with the continuity of "The Ultimate Spider-Man" comic book. "I believe it's set right between #36 and #46. It starts right off at #39 and then it skips a couple of months."

*shakes head*

Well, looks like I was right the first time I placed the game's events. So I guess we'll just have to accept the Torch's appearance in the game with their first meeting being in the USMSS #1 instead of USM #68-69.

Of course this doesn't explain Goblin's appearance in the game, so I think its just more likely Bendis doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

Bendis from CBR interview said:
One of the smaller events in the game will have repercussions for the entire Ultimate Universe, not just Spider-Man's corner in it. In the game, the government of Latveria enters the superhuman arms race by recruiting the Beetle (who also makes his Ultimate U debut) to procure super powered operatives. Bendis said that this will be followed up in the various Ultimate titles.

Looks like MWoF will be happy about that, as am I. He's been saying for awhile now he expected it to tie in with other titles in some way, so he called that one.

Last edited:
Blacksword said:

I think it's for that reason he's been critisized so much. He should know what he's doing instead of throwing random characters around. I mean, c'mon, did we really need those team-up issues? No. Nothing even entertaining came out of them... All six of them were insignificant. Then, to follow that up, he raped Harry Osborn and introduced a rather odd friction between SHIELD and Spider-Man that could have been done more smoothly had it been done sooner and without Harry being wasted. The flashbacks killed that, too. Warriors was good, I will say that, but Sable's not looking so hot for me right now. Seriously, there's a chance it might get better, but look at Bendis' track record right now. He's coming off of House of M and the hype over New Avengers has subsided so there may be hope, but I've still gotta see to believe.

DIrishB said:
Of course this doesn't explain Goblin's appearance in the game, so I think its just more likely Bendis doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

Looks like MWoF will be happy about that, as am I. He's been saying for awhile now he expected it to tie in with other titles in some way, so he called that one.

Besides the whole goblin thing. Wasn't this what I was talking about in the Ultimate Spider-Man Game Discussion/Spoiler Thread?

Good:

- You don't really need the USM game to understand its repurcussions and can be conveniently explained through short flashbacks. Venom is still at large like he was after the Venom arc, except with the addition that Trask is dead. Beetle is just one of the ways Latveria's stealing stuff for their genetically-enhanced army which will hopefully be part of Ultimates 2. Silver Sable's well.... she was there and now she's here again. :D I just find it weird that the Wild Pack's supposed to be a mercenary group working in covert operations, and we have an entire army of them marching in NY during Venom's rampage.

- I'm excited about his future plans for USM from Deadpool to digging more into his parents' past.

- Teenage drama and tension between Kitty, MJ and Peter. This should be really interesting. I also wonder how Peter and Kitty would reveal their relationship with Aunt May. Wouldn't it be weird that some "normal average kid" like Peter would have a famous super-heroine for a girlfriend in May's eyes? I really think that Kitty-Peter relationship has been one of Bendis' best ideas in USM and I am looking forward to this in the future, and I really hope it does not end too quickly.

Bad:

- The USM game taking place between USM #39 to #46? Oh c'mon! You can see in Ultimate Six that Electro was in a coma since he was picked up by authorities from Fisk Towers. Norman Osborn doesn't realize that he no longer needs to Oz formula to become GG until U6. Spidey described U-Human Torch as "Johnny Storm of the world-famous Fantastic Four", but we all know by this time they're identities are still hidden within the Baxter Building. I sincerely hope he was just not totally prepared with his interview, or this was an old excerpt during the preliminary development of the game.

- I hope Bendis cuts down on gimmicky ways to attract readers by always adding cameo villains and stuff. In the future, it would be possible that Bendis would quickly regret giving a certain villain or supporting cast a throwaway role if I finds out that he could have better plans for that character. I think he should follow Kirkman's advice a little and don't rely on new characters too much to tell his stories.

Last edited:
the watcher said:
Besides the whole goblin thing. Wasn't this what I was talking about in the Ultimate Spider-Man Game Discussion/Spoiler Thread?

I think so, but can't remember specifically.

cmdrjanjalani said:
- The USM game taking place between USM #39 to #46? Oh c'mon! You can see in Ultimate Six that Electro was in a coma since he was picked up by authorities from Fisk Towers. Norman Osborn doesn't realize that he no longer needs to Oz formula to become GG until U6. Spidey described U-Human Torch as "Johnny Storm of the world-famous Fantastic Four", but we all know by this time they're identities are still hidden within the Baxter Building. I sincerely hope he was just not totally prepared with his interview, or this was an old excerpt during the preliminary development of the game.

Either way, the first level of the game takes place during USM #38, the second level very soon after USM #45 due to his not having the costume yet, and, despite what Bendis said and to avoid even more screw-ups, the rest of the game takes place sometime during the Superstars arc. End of story.

Latest posts

Back