Best and Worst voice acting in video games

Hellsbuttmonkey said:
I liked the woman who voiced Bastila in Star Wars Knights Of The Old Repuplic. Also recently found out she was one of the voices in the 90s Spidey cartoon as well (think she did one of the Venom voices)
Bastila was played by voice-over veteran Jennifer Hale, who has been doing work for videogames for over a decade now. She seems to specialize in voicing female characters with upper-class upbringings or sensibilities.

I consider her best videogame work to include:
*Fall-from-Grace, the polite and orderly succubus who runs an 'intellectual brothel' from Planescape: Torment, the excellent RPG with an existentialist mythology.
*Jennifer Mui, the stealthy Asian sniper player-character with a British accent from Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction(which was essentially GTA in a Korean warzone)
*Cassidy Sharp, the gun-toting supernatural bounty hunter from Darkwatch: Curse of the West, a Quake-style first person shooter where you go vampire hunting in the Wild West.

Hale also currently plays Zatanna, Killer Frost and Giganta on Justice League Unlimited and used to play Spider-Woman (Julia Carpenter not Jessica Drew) on the 90s Iron Man cartoon and Black Cat on the 90s Spider-Man cartoon.

I know too much about voice actors.

Victor Von Doom said:
Worst Voice Acting: Spiderman 1 and 2
Did you mean the movie-based games for the PS2 or the animated series-like ones for the PS1?

If it's the former then yes, the voice acting was terrible. Especially because Tobey Maguire sounded like he was smoking a bowl of grass while eating Cheetos on a recliner when he recorded his lines.

Best would definitely be the Metal Gear Solid games. I liked the voice acting for Ultimate Spiderman, too.

Worst is easy. Mega Man X4, X5, X6 and X7. :sick:

BEST: Metal Gear Solid series. Thanks to the voice acting, I don't mind the long-winding speeches and lengthy, cheesy melodrama that is rather inappropriate for someone on an important mission. Close second are any LucasArts adventure game.

WORST: I can't believe any of you guys did not mention Resident Evil 1.

Planet-man said:
I forgot how cool this thread was. Bump.:)

Dude....you can't just bump and not contribute.

I still stand by my original choices for best....but I'll add that the voice acting for 24: The Game is so spot on its sick.

Every single game in the mid-to-late 90s produced by the now-defunct Interplay Entertainment had the best voice acting. Especially, the Black Isle Studios RPGs (Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Fallout Series), and space combat franchise Freespace.

In fact, I suspect the money Interplay put into their audio production values is probably one of the main reasons why the company went bankrupt. These people spared no expense in getting actual working actors (e.g. David Warner, Tony Shalhoub, Ron Perlman, Adam Baldwin and Kurtwood Smith) instead of getting random programmers to do the voices.

Best: Grand Theft Auto series.

Worst: I don't know, but some of the voices in the first Harry Potter game and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance were dreadful.

I forgot how much I love the voice acting in TimeSplitters: Future Perfect.

Michael Ironside is always great as Sam Fisher in the Splinter Cell games.

The Halo trilogy, as usual, has all-around perfect casting and delivery.

Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy has really good voice acting too. It's a little forced at times, but the game and characters are so darn colourful and cinematic it more than makes up for it.

TS:FP still gets my vote, though.

Worst: I don't know, but some of the voices in the first Harry Potter game and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance were dreadful.
Generally speaking, almost ALL licensed games have really crappy voices. They either have movie stars who were bound by their contracts to do the video games, and therefore read their lines like they're bored out of their skulls...

...or at best, voice over regulars working for a company that knows they're printing money on the back of a licensed property and therefore couldn't be bothered to hire a decent audio director to direct them properly during recording sessions.

Sometimes you get lucky. They got the whole movie cast for the Batman Begins game and they were great. Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman together in one videogame? Awesome.

Speaking of Batman games, Batman: Vengeance has some of the best voice acting ever.... because it was just the B:TAS voice cast kicking ***.

Sometimes you get lucky. They got the whole movie cast for the Batman Begins game and they were great. Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman together in one videogame? Awesome.
I dunno... sure it's the whole movie cast, but I've played more than one video game in which they got 'the original movie cast' and that didn't always translate to a decent voice over performance.

A good example would be Tobey Maguire in any and all Spider-Man games, where he sounds like he's been smoking pot and recording his lines from a Lazyboy.

But I've never played the game you speak of, so I'll take your word for it.

Worst = Smackdown : Just bring it!

Seriously the commentary on that was just retarded e.g "I want to see the rock .... do a ..... the rock bottom" "Undertaker did a THE LAST RIDE"

It was so retarded and funny people still laugh about it today.

Best = This one is hard. E.g "dragonball z budokai tenkaichi 3" uses the shows voices and does it perfectly. However then you have games like Oblivion that were not based on something so are all new voices and were great.

Worst = Smackdown : Just bring it!

Seriously the commentary on that was just retarded e.g "I want to see the rock .... do a ..... the rock bottom" "Undertaker did a THE LAST RIDE"

It was so retarded and funny people still laugh about it today.
I played that. God that was indeed retarded. Retarded indeedy-do.

SSJmole said:
However then you have games like Oblivion that were not based on something so are all new voices and were great.
All new does not necessarily mean great, but I get what you mean. The people at Bethesda have a pretty competent audio department anyway.

Also, almost any PC game produced by Interplay in the late 90s up until they went bankrupt featured fantastic voice performances, usually by affordable showbiz veterans --- which is more important than them being in Hollywood, as they can sometimes transcend bad voice over direction --- working with very little fanfare.

I mean, they got Ronny Cox (Total Recall, Robocop) to play an insane rogue admiral in Freespace 2.

The X-Files' Mitch Pileggi played a chaos-blade wielding githzerai zerth while Keith David played a ******* suit of armor that is the ******* undead manifestation of justice in Planescape: Torment.

Ron Perlman did every single line of narration for the opening and ending sequences of the Fallout franchise.

And the sequel? Jeffrey Jones (Howard the Duck, Ed Wood) is the paranoid sociophobic President of the United States of America (or what's left of it)

Latest posts

Back