Brad Pitt and Ultimate Thor? What?

Skitch

This is an Ultimates post for those who wish (or not) to read on:

Since the beginning of Ultimates, one of the main questions about the series has been the truth regarding Thor's origin. Now of course, some people think he's a god, and others think he's insane. The introduction of Loki has spurred even more debate as to Thor's source of powers and I began to wonder if Millar would do this to get the fans in a tizzy INTENTIONALLY. He is the guy who brought Ult. F4 into the Land of the Dead, after all.

So what does this have to do with Brad Pitt? Well, I recently read my copy of "Fight Club" again and began thinking to myself if Loki could in fact be Thor's "Tyler Durden." My theory is that his powers may in fact be of divine origin, but that he also has a lot to hide. Imagine a god with something akin to multiple personality disorder, where it even manifests in his powers. Seemingly (in accordance with the Loki manifesto), Loki is always where Thor is whenever something weird goes down. The Volstagg incident (another figment of his imagination, perhaps?), the riot, everything. What if Thor and Loki are one in the same with both personalities vying for dominanace? In "Fight Club," the main character often found himself imagining himself watching his alter-ego at work, not realizing it's really him. Could this be the case here?

Now, it's not to say that Gunner Golmen, the man, doesn't exist... but since Loki is the brother of Thor in myth, wouldn't it be convenient to imagine your actual brother as your foil if you considered yourself to be the Messiah? Kind of like placing a face to your enemy and having it all make sense in some strange way.

Personally, I like the idea of Thor having to fight his brother within. Also, for someone to have all of Thor's powers AND Loki's powers would pretty much make him a god, and look! He's nutty! Make everyone happy (or angry, you never know with comic fans). Thor might not be the "wolf in the fold," but what if he had the power and inclination to and no one knew it? He would be the "ultimate" threat to the team, no?

Skitch said:
This is an Ultimates post for those who wish (or not) to read on:

Since the beginning of Ultimates, one of the main questions about the series has been the truth regarding Thor's origin. Now of course, some people think he's a god, and others think he's insane. The introduction of Loki has spurred even more debate as to Thor's source of powers and I began to wonder if Millar would do this to get the fans in a tizzy INTENTIONALLY. He is the guy who brought Ult. F4 into the Land of the Dead, after all.

So what does this have to do with Brad Pitt? Well, I recently read my copy of "Fight Club" again and began thinking to myself if Loki could in fact be Thor's "Tyler Durden." My theory is that his powers may in fact be of divine origin, but that he also has a lot to hide. Imagine a god with something akin to multiple personality disorder, where it even manifests in his powers. Seemingly (in accordance with the Loki manifesto), Loki is always where Thor is whenever something weird goes down. The Volstagg incident (another figment of his imagination, perhaps?), the riot, everything. What if Thor and Loki are one in the same with both personalities vying for dominanace? In "Fight Club," the main character often found himself imagining himself watching his alter-ego at work, not realizing it's really him. Could this be the case here?

Now, it's not to say that Gunner Golmen, the man, doesn't exist... but since Loki is the brother of Thor in myth, wouldn't it be convenient to imagine your actual brother as your foil if you considered yourself to be the Messiah? Kind of like placing a face to your enemy and having it all make sense in some strange way.

Personally, I like the idea of Thor having to fight his brother within. Also, for someone to have all of Thor's powers AND Loki's powers would pretty much make him a god, and look! He's nutty! Make everyone happy (or angry, you never know with comic fans). Thor might not be the "wolf in the fold," but what if he had the power and inclination to and no one knew it? He would be the "ultimate" threat to the team, no?

Very interesting theory...I dn't really think its going to play out that way, but interesting nonetheless.

nigma said:
nigma what the HELL does this have to do with brad pitt?

Nothing really besides the Fight Club reference.

DIrishB said:
Nothing really besides the Fight Club reference.

ahhh, when i saw the title i was thinking something along the lines of moveing up to better women, but thats not it. (never seen fightclub)

Last edited:
I think what Skitch is implying is that Brad Pitt resembles Thor (same as Sam Jackson resembles Nick Fury - ie: the "model" Hitch/Millar used for the charaters) - which leads Skitch to his theory that Hitllar has based some plot elements on Fight Club. IMO, Gunnar does resemble Ed Norton as well . . .

leather_w0lf said:
I think what Skitch is implying is that Brad Pitt resembles Thor (same as Sam Jackson resembles Nick Fury - ie: the "model" Hitch/Millar used for the charaters) - which leads Skitch to his theory that Hitllar has based some plot elements on Fight Club. IMO, Gunnar does resemble Ed Norton as well . . .

And Tony Stark resembles Johnny Depp but I haven't seen any Edward Scissorhands or Ed Wood references in the title yet. ;)

Thor DOES look like Brad Pitt in "Dead Man Walking" when he says, "What I've got to say isn't any stranger than that." or something to that effect.

Also, this reminds me of my "Mjolnir as alien battery" theory where Mjolnir is the room with no doors.

Welcome Skitch.

Skitch isn't saying anything about Pitt's looks (although you guys are right - it looks like Hitch used a Brad Pitt photo for reference in the club scene).

That said, while it's an interesting theory, I'd be surprised if that was the case. Millar has been very faithful to the mythological Thor; I can't see him pulling an Orson Scott Card and totally changing the character's origin like that.

Bass said:
Thor DOES look like Brad Pitt in "Dead Man Walking" when he says, "What I've got to say isn't any stranger than that." or something to that effect.

Also, this reminds me of my "Mjolnir as alien battery" theory where Mjolnir is the room with no doors.
What theory was that?

Orson Scott Card noun. abbrv. "Card" 1) Writer of novels and comics. 2) The addition of the blue-coloured skin, invulnerability, and brain, pregnancy and monkey-related origins to a character, using the placenta as a plot device. ex. "Iron Man is now an Orson Scott Card." or ex. "I can't wait to Orson Scott Card the Ultimates says Jeph Loeb." 3) "to be an orson scott card" To be one who hates homosexuals regardless of creed. 4) The redefinition of the origin of a pre-existing character to such an extent that it no longer makes any sense in the stories that the character exists in previously. ex. "Man, they really pulled an Orson Scott Card on Xorn, didn't they?" 5) Archnemesis of Ultimate E.

Last edited:
Bass said:
Orson Scott Card noun. abbrv. "Card" 1) Writer of novels and comics. 2) The addition of the blue-coloured skin, invulnerability, and brain, pregnancy and monkey-related origins to a character, using the placenta as a plot device. ex. "Iron Man is now an Orson Scott Card." or ex. "I can't wait to Orson Scott Card the Ultimates says Jeph Loeb." 3) "to be an orson scott card" To hate homosexuals regardless of creed. 4) The redefinition of the origin of a pre-existing character to such an extent that it no longer makes any sense in the stories that the character exists in previously. ex. "Man, they really pulled an Orson Scott Card on Xorn, didn't they?" 5) Archnemesis of E.

*goes to rewrite Wikipedia entry*

Bass said:
Orson Scott Card noun. abbrv. "Card" 1) Writer of novels and comics. 2) The addition of the blue-coloured skin, invulnerability, and brain, pregnancy and monkey-related origins to a character, using the placenta as a plot device. ex. "Iron Man is now an Orson Scott Card." or ex. "I can't wait to Orson Scott Card the Ultimates says Jeph Loeb." 3) "to be an orson scott card" To be one who hates homosexuals regardless of creed. 4) The redefinition of the origin of a pre-existing character to such an extent that it no longer makes any sense in the stories that the character exists in previously. ex. "Man, they really pulled an Orson Scott Card on Xorn, didn't they?" 5) Archnemesis of Ultimate E.

Just in case you're wondering, this is an official definition in Webster's Dictionary.

Bass said:
Agree. Although in my head Thor sounds nothing like Brad Pitt. Instead he sounds like Dennis Haysbert or Keith David.

That's right, the face of Pitt and the voice of a big black man. It's a lot like how Ben Affleck sounds like Alec Baldwin in Final Fantasy: Spirits Within

Bass said:
I really liked that theory. In retrospect it wasn't very Ultimate, but nonetheless it was so cool it didn't matter.

ourchair said:
I really liked that theory. In retrospect it wasn't very Ultimate, but nonetheless it was so cool it didn't matter.

Darn tootin'.

Y'know what else is amazing? When we were talking about what we'd do if we were in charge of the Ultimate lines, I said I'd do the Ultimates versus the Masters of Evil, with the specific intent of having the Ultimates fight evil versions of themselves, the idea being it would take place in the fifth issue, since the current theme of the Ultimates is to have them fight one of their own in #5. I felt this would be a subversive way of doing that particular issue. :lol: God, I'm better than Hitllar.

Last edited:
Bass said:
Darn tootin'.

Y'know what else is amazing? When we were talking about what we'd do if we were in charge of the Ultimate lines, I said I'd do the Ultimates versus the Masters of Evil, with the specific intent of having the Ultimates fight evil versions of themselves, the idea being it would take place in the fifth issue, since the current theme of the Ultimates is to have them fight one of their own in #5. I felt this would be a subversive way of doing that particular issue. :lol: God, I'm better than Hitllar.

You're better than Card too. But I guess thats not saying much.

Woof! Ihave been gone too long. Can somebody PLEASE explain to me how we got a thread dedicated to Brad FREEKIN' PITT and THOR!?

Latest posts

Back