Bruce Timm Universe Adoration Thread

I picked up the JLU DVDs the other day.

Personnaly, I think that while the second season is the end of JLU, the first season is the end for the DCAU in general.

Does that make sense?

OK, I'm not very good at this sort of thing, but I'll try...

S1 of JLU brought virtually every aspect of the DCAU together to wrap up the loose ends...all culminating in the Cadmus arc. Even if Cadmus had been the end of the series, it would have been a fantastic ending, with the revalation of Terry's legacy and the League finding new purpose.

S2, while just as good as the previous season, simply had a straight-out Superfriends tribute, which, in my mind, is the perfect ending to JLU.

does THAT make any sense?

Completely.

Though, do bear in mind, that the final season of JLU does use previous continuity to pay it off - Darkseid and Brainiac from earlier seasons of JUSTICE LEAGUE.

Sorry. It's just....seriously, with Timm's animation, if Batman took off his costume he would look almost exactly like Superman, save for butt-chin and spitcurl. Furthermore, the characters are too blocky-looking, and it's downright unattractive.

I completely agree in that one (and only that one) regard. It annoyed me when they streamlined the style, because Bruce and Superman look too similar. But for me, it's a minor detail, one I can very easily get past.

I completely agree in that one (and only that one) regard. It annoyed me when they streamlined the style, because Bruce and Superman look too similar. But for me, it's a minor detail, one I can very easily get past.
I've never found the various ways they tried to distinguish Bruce, Bats and Superman from each other particularly bothersome... even though it's pretty obvious what would be considered better or worse.

In my opinion, it was fine at the start when there was no Superman cartoon and what was important was that Bruce look like a relentlessly bored bachelor with a handsome lantern-jaw going through the motions of maintaining a billion dollar empire. Otherwise there would be no contrast between him and Batman. The DCAU people didn't just rely on Conroy's voice but on everything that goes from the upper half of his face.

But I think the moment they gave Wayne ice blue eyes and a firm lip was a pretty definitive visual move to contrast him once more heroes entered the picture. It signaled a larger universe and a fading need to focus on Bruce Wayne so much. While Bruce Wayne vs. Batman might be important in his own series, for all storytelling intents and purposes thereonforward, Bruce is ALWAYS Batman. At least as far as the icey eyes go.

I've never found the various ways they tried to distinguish Bruce, Bats and Superman from each other particularly bothersome... even though it's pretty obvious what would be considered better or worse.

In my opinion, it was fine at the start when there was no Superman cartoon and what was important was that Bruce look like a relentlessly bored bachelor with a handsome lantern-jaw going through the motions of maintaining a billion dollar empire. Otherwise there would be no contrast between him and Batman. The DCAU people didn't just rely on Conroy's voice but on everything that goes from the upper half of his face.

But I think the moment they gave Wayne ice blue eyes and a firm lip was a pretty definitive visual move to contrast him once more heroes entered the picture. It signaled a larger universe and a fading need to focus on Bruce Wayne so much. While Bruce Wayne vs. Batman might be important in his own series, for all storytelling intents and purposes thereonforward, Bruce is ALWAYS Batman. At least as far as the icey eyes go.

I couldn't have said it any better.

I can recall a website where they used a model of Bruce Timm's Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman/etc and were able to customize them to create countless DC and Marvel characters. All the characters on the website looked the same except for the costumes. Their build, faces, etc. all looked the same.

All the male characters were square-jawed, butt-chinned monkeys. All the females were gargantuan-hipped, gaping-Wonder-Woman-uterused bimboes. And I'm laying this out as lightly as I can. With gravitas. With dignity. With balls.

With truthiness.

Last edited:
You are such a post whore.

This post served no purpose other than to boost said count and you know it. You and VVD should have a postwhore-off.

Actually I dont remember ever reading a VVD post that didnt have purpose. Now mole, there's a post whore

You know what's awesome? The Question.

He's far and away my favorite chracter in JLU, and I don't think I'm alone there.

It was also cool to see Steranko, Ellis, Simone, Geoff Johns and whoever else from the comic book world (especially McDuffie) writing for this series. I think it helped make it awesome, rather than just getting the same guys that write every cartoon show (and it is just a small group of people), to turn out soem more generic garbage.

I don't understand the Question. Literally, I don't get his deal. I don't understand his powers.

Latest posts

Back