Buzzscope previews Ultimate Iron Man #4

Fredrik Martinsson

Formerly known as Ultimate Warrior
Buzzscope has posted a three pages, including the cover, Last Minute Look of Ultimate Iron Man #4.

The original solicitation reads:

ULTIMATE IRON MAN #4

COVER BY: ANDY KUBERT
WRITER: ORSON SCOTT CARD
PENCILS: ANDY KUBERT
INKS: DANNY MIKI
COLORED BY: RICHARD ISANOVE
LETTERED BY: CHRIS ELIOPOULOS

THE STORY: Science fiction visionary Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead) and superstar artist Andy Kubert (1602, Origin, Ultimate X-Men) continue the origin of Ultimate Iron Man. Tony Stark and Jim "Rhodey" Rhodes have their first adventure! What happens here will change their lives!

32 PGS./PARENTAL ADVISORY …$2.99

PRICE: $2.99
IN STORES: 09-28-2005

"How appropriate. The other one looks like coal"

*sobs quietly*

I'm not really feeling this story. I don't blame anyone who don't like it. These kinds of stories should really bring in readers, but this mini isn't doing that at all.

icemastertron said:
I'm not really feeling this story.

I am. It's a sickly, nauseous feeling.

icemastertron said:
I'm not really feeling this story. I don't blame anyone who don't like it. These kinds of stories should really bring in readers, but this mini isn't doing that at all.

I think there is a big difference between a writer coming on to a series and "making the character his own" and a writer coming on to a series and reimagining the character completely to suit himself. Yeah, I'd agree that slavishly following continuity can bog things down and that a few degrees a latitude in the character is allowable, but this feels more like Card making Tony Stark a Card character than Card writing Tony Stark the Ultimates Marvel character.

Rhyo said:
this feels more like Card making Tony Stark a Card character

If that's the case then I'm glad I haven't read any of his books.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Well it's not as soft as the Scott brand but it gets the job done.
True, which is why I don't HATE the series.

UltimateE said:
His books are waaaaaaaay better than this (though I only read Ender's Game). As I told Aeroth before, it's not really his talent that's in question, but more of the material he has. He's better off with his own creations, rather than already established characters.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Well it's not as soft as the Scott brand but it gets the job done.

Post of the day - congrats.

icemastertron said:
He's better off with his own creations, rather than already established characters.
His thinking is probably that because he's writing a backstory, the character is not already established.
You think he'd even read the Ultimates at all? Really gotten to grips with the character of Tony and spoke to Millar about his motivations?

icemastertron said:
True, which is why I don't HATE the series.

His books are waaaaaaaay better than this (though I only read Ender's Game). As I told Aeroth before, it's not really his talent that's in question, but more of the material he has. He's better off with his own creations, rather than already established characters.

The Ender's series is really good. His newer stuff though (Like, Shadows of the Giant) is even worse than UIM.

I'd say I'm glad we're almost at the end, but. . .well, there's a whole other series comming from him. All I have to say is it better deal with Tony as an adult.

Guijllons said:
His thinking is probably that because he's writing a backstory, the character is not already established.
You think he'd even read the Ultimates at all? Really gotten to grips with the character of Tony and spoke to Millar about his motivations?

I seem to remember his saying that he wasn't familiar with Iron Man or Tony Stark and had never read an Iron Man comic. Maybe someone else can back me up (or correct me).

If that's the case, no way he's read Ultimates, has any clue what the character has been or will be, and probably doesn't care.

UltimateE said:

I gave up on this series an issue or two ago, but what really suprised me is how BAD the writing is, the number of huge plot holes and inconsistancies, because Card is actually a good prose writer. I'm not fond of Card-the-human-being's politics, but the Ender's Game series (about a young boy genius raised by the military as the ultimate hedge against the alien invasion) is well-written, interesting and fairly engaging. The "physically altered boy genius" theme is one that Card really likes (he has at least 2 other novels on the same theme), and his take on Tony isn't really all that surprising, considering. I actually expected to LIKE this series, but I don't think Card has quite figured out the change from prose to comics yet and hence the feel isn't there, and combined with the delays the title is suffering (along with E, apparently), I'm just not interested.

UltimateE said:
I seem to remember his saying that he wasn't familiar with Iron Man or Tony Stark and had never read an Iron Man comic. Maybe someone else can back me up (or correct me).
He has stated that as a fact.

Latest posts

Back