Can You Find The Deus Ex Machina?

Iceshadow said:
Does the Sentinals showing up to throttle Northstar's mutant group (Dawn of the White Light?) in the Wolverine: Agent Of SHIELD stoyline count?
Not really. I believe Wolvie had planned it. Thats why he had the mutant gene inhibitor thing on. Thats also why he smiled just before it happened.

The first Jurassic Park too.

"Aaah! A raptor!"
"Don't worry, Dad! Look, it's a T-Rex!"
"Boy, wasn't that lucky!"

Iceshadow said:
Does the Sentinals showing up to throttle Northstar's mutant group (Dawn of the White Light?) in the Wolverine: Agent Of SHIELD stoyline count?
*Immature middle school giggle*

Bass said:
The first Jurassic Park too.

"Aaah! A raptor!"
"Don't worry, Dad! Look, it's a T-Rex!"
"Boy, wasn't that lucky!"

:lol:

I think the biggest Deus Ex Machina had to be Superman. Spinning the world the opposite direction makes you go back in time? **** that.

Steve GMan said:
:lol:

I think the biggest Deus Ex Machina had to be Superman. Spinning the world the opposite direction makes you go back in time? **** that.

I'm not sure it is, really. The world changing comes about because Superman chooses to no longer respect his father's wish that he "not interfere with the world of man" and he actively starts to fly so fast that he's able to turn back time.

I mean, isn't space/time to work in that kind of bizarre way? If you travel fast enough, you experience time at a different rate (that's the theory of relativity, no?) and therefore, if you fly one way and go forward in time, why not fly the otherway and go backward?

I mean, regardless of the science behind the feat, the idea is that Superman has already demonstrated this kind of power, and at climax, makes a conscious decision to perform this miracle.

It's a bit hokey, and it's a bit too 'pleasant', but I'm don't think it's deus ex machina. :?

Bass said:
I'm not sure it is, really. The world changing comes about because Superman chooses to no longer respect his father's wish that he "not interfere with the world of man" and he actively starts to fly so fast that he's able to turn back time.

I mean, isn't space/time to work in that kind of bizarre way? If you travel fast enough, you experience time at a different rate (that's the theory of relativity, no?) and therefore, if you fly one way and go forward in time, why not fly the otherway and go backward?

I mean, regardless of the science behind the feat, the idea is that Superman has already demonstrated this kind of power, and at climax, makes a conscious decision to perform this miracle.

It's a bit hokey, and it's a bit too 'pleasant', but I'm don't think it's deus ex machina. :?

In that case,

Steve GMan said:
You think you're so goddamn smart, don't you?

Maybe this doesn't fit your definition, Bass, but I consider the ending of War of the Worlds to be DEM, but one that works.

I don't think that counts because The War of the Worlds actually happened.

ourchair said:
Wasn't saying it was. I was just holding him responsible for your lost memories.

I thought you might have meant that.

ProjectX2 said:
I don't think that counts because The War of the Worlds actually happened.

Exactly.

Latest posts

Back