Captain America: Civil War News/Rumors discussion

Do you think having Spider-man in Captain America: Civil War might give Marvel a box-office advantage against Batman v Superman?

Do you think having Spider-man in Captain America: Civil War might give Marvel a box-office advantage against Batman v Superman?

I think being set in the MCU, and not a sequel to Man of Steel, will give it a box office advantage against Batman v Superman. The only advantage that Batman v Superman really has is that it's the first movie to feature the two (arguably) most popular superheroes of all time.

I think being set in the MCU, and not a sequel to Man of Steel, will give it a box office advantage against Batman v Superman. The only advantage that Batman v Superman really has is that it's the first movie to feature the two (arguably) most popular superheroes of all time.

This is all very true. I have nothing to add.

I think being set in the MCU, and not a sequel to Man of Steel, will give it a box office advantage against Batman v Superman.

This. For people who saw Man of Steel (or heard how bad it was) and didn't like it - and it seems like that was the majority - the fact that it's not that will be enough.

But in reality I don't think it's really a contest in that way. I don't think it's the some/none rivalry that some people think it is.

But in reality I don't think it's really a contest in that way. I don't think it's the some/none rivalry that some people think it is.

Overall, you're right that there isn't a one or the other mentality for most people, but there is for the opening weekend. The average movie-goer isn't going to go see two movies in one weekend, they'll choose one or the other. They'll probably get around to seeing the other movie too, but opening weekend numbers matter for studio revenue and fan appeal.

Last edited:
Overall, you're right that there isn't a one or the other mentality for most people, but there is for the opening weekend. The average movie-goer isn't going to go see two movies in one weekend, they'll choose one or the other. They'll probably get around to seeing the other movie too, but opening weekend numbers matter for studio revenue and fan appeal.

But... that would only matter if they were opening against each other... they're not. There's a good couple months of time between the releases.

And to be fair, Batman v Superman nor Captain America - Civil War are facing any real competition at the box office during their opening months, let alone weekends.

Both films will do very well on their opening weekends, as well as the week or two after release.

And even the biggest critics of Man of Steel will still be lining up in droves to see Batman v Superman...

Last edited:
But... that would only matter if they were opening against each other... they're not. There's a good couple months of time between the releases.

And to be fair, Batman v Superman nor Captain America - Civil War are facing any real competition at the box office during their opening months, let alone weekends.

Both films will do very well on their opening weekends, as well as the week or two after release.

And even the biggest critics of Man of Steel will still be lining up in droves to see Batman v Superman...

hahahahahaha oh.... I thought they were.

:oops:

Nope. Originally they were, but WB/DC flinched and changed Batman v Superman's release to the end of March, 2016 (Captain America - Civil War opens early May so there's about a month and a half period of time between the two releases).

Alright, well then E is completely right.

No surprise to those familiar with the comic, but there's a rumor that
Steve Rogers
dies in Captain America: Civil War, and
Bucky Barnes becomes the new Cap

No surprise to those familiar with the comic, but there's a rumor that
Steve Rogers
dies in Captain America: Civil War, and
Bucky Barnes becomes the new Cap

I don't think that will happen until Infinity War.

I don't think that will happen until Infinity War.

That's my impression, given the remaining films on Evans' contract (think he has two left after Winter Soldier, likely Infinity War Parts 1 and 2, with Cap leading the New Avengers team in both before the original members--Thor, Hulk, Iron Man... and likely the Guardians and every other hero on Earth--hell, maybe even some villains, imagine SHIELD letting Abomination loose to take on Thanos as a last gasp...?).

I suppose it possible, and given it happened in the comics it makes sense they'd adapt that into the films.

We'll see.

One thing that is confirmed is
Peggy Carter
dies. :(

Last edited:
That's my impression, given the remaining films on Evans' contract (think he has two left after Winter Soldier, likely Infinity War Parts 1 and 2, with Cap leading the New Avengers team in both before the original members--Thor, Hulk, Iron Man... and likely the Guardians and every other hero on Earth--hell, maybe even some villains, imagine SHIELD letting Abomination loose to take on Thanos as a last gasp...?).

I suppose it possible, and given it happened in the comics it makes sense they'd adapt that into the films.

We'll see.

One thing that is confirmed is
Peggy Carter
dies. :(

I was under the impression that he has two more, including Civil War. That could very well be wrong. Him dieing in Civil War would gel with a rumor that's been around for awhile:
That Infinity War Part 1 predominantly features the "newer" Avengers, and then Part 2 will feature the original members coming back (in some way) to all take on Thanos. With the figure of Death being such an important part of the Thanos, Infinity Gauntlet, Infinity War storyline, it's definitely possible that there is some sort of resurrecting from the dead.

I was under the impression that he has two more, including Civil War. That could very well be wrong. Him dieing in Civil War would gel with a rumor that's been around for awhile:
That Infinity War Part 1 predominantly features the "newer" Avengers, and then Part 2 will feature the original members coming back (in some way) to all take on Thanos. With the figure of Death being such an important part of the Thanos, Infinity Gauntlet, Infinity War storyline, it's definitely possible that there is some sort of resurrecting from the dead.

Yeah, it's certainly possible, though it'd be odd for them to kill him off in Civil War, resurrect him in Infinity War, and likely kill him off again at the end of IW, Part 2 (that's a likely outcome given Evan's contract ending with that film).

It's also possible they'll kill him off in Civil War and he won't be brought back in IW, with Sebastian Stan/Bucky taking on the mantle of Cap in remembrance of his old friend, thus ending Evans' contract early.

Guess we'll see next year. It would be kind of poetic for Cap to die in the same film as
Peggy Carter
, I suppose. If done right that could actually be incredibly emotional.

Spider-Man spotted on Civil War set!

11265135_1129762963706941_6478761622180421003_n.jpg

I wonder if we'll see pics of Black Panther anytime soon... I suppose his role in Civil War won't be too large (it may be on par with Vision's screen time in AoU), and serve as a springboard to his solo film (duh). I'm just dying to see the costume for starters. Also looking forward to the end of this year for trailers to start dropping, which hopefully will feature BP (maybe even delivering dialogue--I'm interested to see how they approach the Wakandan accent, culture, advanced technology, etc).

I have a feeling they're going to be very tactical about shooting any outdoor scenes with Spidey or Black Panther. They obviously want to hold off on the costumes/looks leaking, so I figure any scenes filmed outdoors involving those two, they'll have cleared out the surrounding area and use lots of large scale blocking to deter any possible photographs of the actors/stuntmen in the costumes.

If Marvel manages to pull it off without fan media snapping a pic, I suppose SDCC is as likely a place as any for the official reveals of the costumes for Spidey and Black Panther, if not footage/early teaser trailer for Civil War itself.

Hmmm...I hadn't heard that before but I like it.

Marvel Tried (And Failed) To Get Spider-Man In CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR

That was true back in December. Since the deal between Marvel and Sony was announced (think it was back in Jan or Feb), it's a safe bet Spidey will cameo in Captain America - Civil War.

The fact Spidey didn't show up on the official cast list for Captain America - Civil War, indicates Spidey may only cameo or first appear in a mid or post credit scene for his MCU introduction in CA-CW, and they don't want to spoil the surprise of Spidey's cameo/post-credit scene by listing him in the cast list.

But it's 99.9% a sure thing he'll show up in Civil War, unless there's a new report out I'm not seeing.

I think Marvel is officially holding off until SDCC (in July) to announce Asa Butterfield as the new Spidey, and at that point they'll likely announce officially him first appearing in Civil War, perhaps even the new suit design (though they may hold off on that).

Again, I expect his scene will be a cameo or post credit scene, requiring no more than a day, maybe two, max on set. So don't take the fact we haven't seen Spidey stunt doubles or Butterfield in the Civil War set pics as him not appearing in the film. He won't appear in a supporting role, but a small cameo? I'd think so. Hopefully anyway.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back