Captain Britain and MI13 discussion (Spoilers!)

Okay. That's a big shame. I'm sure this was selling well over here. Couldn't Marvel UK/ Panini pick it up for a UK-only title at least? Marvel UK have recently started producing original material again... it's all been dreadful so far, unfortunately.

Basically, once USM finishes it's volume 1 run, that's my get-off point with Marvel I think. CB/MI13 was the only non-ult title I was still buying... I shall keep an eye on these parts to see if people are recommending anything worth investigation. Otherwise it's just Phonogram and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen for me, I'm afraid.

At least we got vampire missiles from the moon, I guess. :(

People have suggested that the characters are used in back-up features in another book.

Joe Quesada thinks England is a fictional country created just for the Marvel Universe, like Latveria or Wakanda.

Ha!

So it's ending with issue 15? real shame, but it's still a good run especially considering the Wisdom series that came first.

I think there must be something about Marvel that means stuff like this never takes off. there's a pretty big core universe and you read it all or you don't. and if you do, you haven't got time for the things at the side that don't really fit in.

Some of the best new series marvel has produced in recent years:

Nextwave
Irredeemable ant-man
MI13,

just don't get bought cuz people who read marvel already buy a ton of books every week. they'll stick with black panther or ghost rider or punisher cuz they're characters they know (also fraction & aaron are some decent writers). But it really stifles new things.

I guess also cuz Marvel is all kirby/lee creations that have stayed the same for 40 years, where as DC is already a hotchpotch so can fold in new characters pretty seemlessly. Things like Booster Gold just work, and even the events themselves are pretty self-contained so if you don't want to follow an event you can still follow your monthlies...

Just musing...

I don't think there is anything wrong with the MU core itself, lots of obscure things get tried and they do tend to stick around, though I do fear for each book everytime a multiple of 5 or 6 rolls around.

It's just that Marvel doesn't push any of the smaller books, so they all coast in the 30k range, and once they dip to 20k they axe the book.

It's nothing wrong with the characters, it's the marketing department, if the book doesn't have Wolverine in it they just don't care .

I don't think there is anything wrong with the MU core itself, lots of obscure things get tried and they do tend to stick around, though I do fear for each book everytime a multiple of 5 or 6 rolls around.

It's just that Marvel doesn't push any of the smaller books, so they all coast in the 30k range, and once they dip to 20k they axe the book.

It's nothing wrong with the characters, it's the marketing department, if the book doesn't have Wolverine in it they just don't care .

I wasn't slating MU core that much, I'm probably a bigger fan of the current Bendis stuff than most. In fact Alias is a perfect example of when a non-core book really does pick up and now jessica jones is a pretty regular member of the avengers.

Maybe my point is that the attitude i get from marvel is that if the smaller characters don't interract with the rest of the continuity it's a bad thing - they won't sell as well. If this Captain Britain series had never had existed it wouldn't affect anything in the marvel U, so that gives people the excuse to not bother picking it up.

I'm still punching kittens in anger of the cancellation of this

If I don't read the final issue then it's not cancelled right?

god damnit

yeah the last issue was great, kinda cop-outty but still pretty righteous

:cry:

I read Wisdom last night in preparation for the final issue of this. That was a crazy *** comic.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back