Captain Marvel is now Shazam

It seems the reason for this is the fact that Marvel is coming out with a new Captain Marvel(Some say it will be Carol as Cap).

I'd so buy a Carol Danvers Captain Marvel book. Hell, I loved the Ms Marvel book that Sana Takeda did (loved her on X-23 too... jesus..someone get her a monthly please).

It seems the reason for this is the fact that Marvel is coming out with a new Captain Marvel(Some say it will be Carol as Cap).

Isn't that official? It's written by Kelly Sue DeConnick.

I don't know what that has to do with it, though; Captain Marvel is been around for years.

Isn't that official? It's written by Kelly Sue DeConnick.

I don't know what that has to do with it, though; Captain Marvel is been around for years.

Yeah and Carol's been on the path to become Captain Marvel for some time now it seems.

Ultimate Houde said:
He is entirely different from Superman, I know of no one who sees them as the same person.

Heh, you should totally read up on the court battle between DC and Fawcett, then. DC alleged that Cap was nothing but a copy of Superman, despite all the glaring differences in style and tone, and won the case.

Personally, I think what makes Cap different and interesting is precisely what they're stripping away, his innocent cheerfulness. Watch the episodes where he appears on Young Justice and see the contrast with the other heroes, even the teens.

adastracomic.com

Heh, you should totally read up on the court battle between DC and Fawcett, then. DC alleged that Cap was nothing but a copy of Superman, despite all the glaring differences in style and tone, and won the case.

Personally, I think what makes Cap different and interesting is precisely what they're stripping away, his innocent cheerfulness. Watch the episodes where he appears on Young Justice and see the contrast with the other heroes, even the teens.

adastracomic.com

+1

Could not have said it better myself.

adastracomic.com

Or look at Monster Society of Evil.

The appeal of Captain Marvel was that he was a fantasy appeal to kid readers. "He's just like you! but he turns into a superhero!" Then as the readership grew up and DC took over his publication it became more about nostalgia. "This is who you would have been if you had the power to change things when you were a kid!" Is it overly optimistic? Sure. Kids aren't all just lovable sunshine. They can be beastly things. And people who wax poetic about how great being a kid is and how terrible being an adult is are obnoxious, but in measured doses, Cap Marvel is great.

I really have no idea what Johns is doing with this reboot. Is he "deconstructing" (as if he knew the meaning of that word) Billy by showing children as amoral little creatures? Is he trying to put Billy on a hero's journey? I don't know, but he seems to be stripping away the aspects of the character I find appealing.

Also, welcome!

adastracomic.com

Welcome!

Latest posts

Back