CBR/CBZ reader recommendation: iComics

E

Excelsior Club
iComics website

iTunes link

I just wanted to make a recommendation for a iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch comic reader because it's the first good one that I've found. I've tried a whole bunch of them including Comic Zeal and Comic Book Lover and iComics is the best. THe best part about it, by far, is the smooth page swiping. It's as smooth as Comixology. I opened a 500mb comic and there was no delay in turning pages at all.

It was free yesterday and might still be but at regular price of $2 it is well worth it. It's a universal iOS app.

Cheers for the recommendation. I haven't had a problem with comic book lover though. :)

(Also, tapatalk is great!)

Comic Book Lover is the second best one I've used. My biggest complaint with it is that it doesn't give you the ability to go to a specific page. I do really like its tagging feature but its kind of clumsy to use.

What don't you like about Comic Zeal?

Oh, does icomic allow you to drag comics into itunes? because that would be great. Comic Zeal sucks for transferring comics from my computer to my ipad.

I use Comic Book Lover but I downloaded iComics yesterday because it was free and had good reviews. I like free stuff.

What don't you like about Comic Zeal?

Oh, does icomic allow you to drag comics into itunes? because that would be great. Comic Zeal sucks for transferring comics from my computer to my ipad.

There are a few things I don't like about Comic Zeal. I don't like how it imports comics and basically locks you out of the app, not letting you do anything while it imports. The interface is clunky. And the developer doesn't listen to feedback - he's had lots of complaints about the interface and has refused to change it.

But the worst thing is that I asked him in the support forums about eliminating app data from backups and he refused to even consider it, even though several other people agreed and a couple people even showed him how to do it. I want to keep a large number of comics on my iPad but do not want them backed up during iTunes backups. I don't need them backed up; I already have them in my computer - that's how I got them in my iPad in the first place. If the app data is backed up, it's just making the backup larger and taking up space on my computer. One of the nice things about Comixology, for example, is that the app data is not backed up. So you can keep tons of comics on your device and the backup to your computer doesn't get any bigger.

Besides the fact that iComics just runs better and smoother, this is something he is working on implementing in a future version.

As for importing comics, all 3 apps I mentioned let you drag files into the app via iTunes the same way.

iTunes syncing is much easier. I used to use something similar to that with a different CBR reader before iTunes sharing and it was a pain; it just never worked.

I just saw this is on sale today for 99 cents.

Latest posts

Back