CLAMP: Perverted Ladies or Brilliant Storytellers?

Dr.Strangefate

He Sees You When You're Sleeping. He Knows When Yo
I have a weird place in my heart for the CLAMP books: Cardcaptors Sakura, Chobits, CLAMP School Detectives, Magic Knight Rayearth, Wish, etc.

Has anybody else read these series, or am I the only person on this board who likes Manga with a twist of Shoujo (romance, sometimes called "girl manga")?

My girlfriend absolutely loves CLAMP material.

I like Chobits, Tokyo Babylon and XXXholic.

My girlfriend was *totally* put off by the anime version of Chobits (if there's a manga equivalent, neither of us has read it). She absolutely hated it. Nothing to do with technical aspects or the quality of the animation. It was the characters -- how needy, desperate, and controlling the male protagonist is; the very sick possibilities of the androids (I forget the exact term; PersComm or something?); just how generally repressed and tense everybody is. She couldn't stomach finishing anything more than the first episode. It was like a physical, visceral reaction. Her reaction discouraged me from watching the series altogether.

Just to give you a gauge of her taste in manga, she likes Cromartie High School, Eagle, and NANA. She really liked the anime version of Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, despite some reservations about the characterization, and glaring plot holes.

And for a broader context of what she's into, generally:
http://www.comicspace.com/dumplingpress

(Incidentally, I've been attempting to get her to post here for over a year now. But her web-surfing habits just don't accomodate the kind of time-sucking geekery that mine do.)

Last edited:
I've been trying to find all of the chapters of xxxholic but most sites I know of don't even have it. Does anyone know of a site that has it?

<3 CLAMP!!

Both Janae and I are addicted to their stuff, funny thing is, I like stuff like; RG Veda, xxxHolic, Angelic Layer

Janae's more into; Tsubasa, Clover, Wish, and CC Sakura.

I have all the manga of Tokyo Babylon and a few volumes of X as well as the whole series of X on DVD, a nice box set of the remix I bought for only $70 at convention. Hell, I even like Cardcaptor Sakura. I really like a lot of CLAMP's work.

My Japanese teacher tells me that Shoujo is becoming incredibly popular with Japanese guys at the moment as its helping them "research" girls lol

Latest posts

Back