Comic book events that would make good movies

You guys should stop just mentioning "epic" comic book stories or stories you really like and, before you post them, think about whether or not the general movie ticket-buying public would indeed buy tickets to see them. Annihilation and Kree/Skull War, Batman: Knightfall - no way.

They did The Death of Superman (animated) and it was a steaming pile of ****. Following the original storyline more closely would probably be worse.

So you're actually telling us what to post now?!

Batman: Knightfall would still make a great movie, in my opinion (and the opinion of dozens of other people who've actually read the comic or the novelisation).

You guys REALLY think those would be "great films" or you would just like to see them made into films?

Isn't that the whole point? If the real point of this thread is to determine what comics would translate into The Dark Knightesque masterpieces, the answer is "very little or none at all." That's why so few of them have been direct translations of the original source material.

And Kingdom Come could easily be one of the greatest movies ever made. It is just you.

Last edited:
0521models.jpg

It also features Tim Gunn.

Cut. Print.

I still think Annihilation would work brilliantly as a trilogy.The first movie would set up all the characters and culminate with all that happened in the prologue, the second would be all the lead-in mini's, and the final movie would be the main mini-series.

Star Trek can't corner the entire market on inter-stellar epics

Well, a good film and a film audiences everywhere would pay to see are obviously two different things, but I agree with the general sentiment in terms of a lot of the examples.

I personally think Kingdom Come is tailor-made for a film adaptation(only comic people would watch, but it would still be a good movie) and Knightfall should be to the 3rd Batman film what Year One was to Batman Begins, but I don't get how All-Star Superman, an off-the-wall series of very episodic issues, could possibly make a movie.

But I don't usually like "just list stuff" posts anyway.... it's way more worth reading when people actually explain their choices, so maybe that would help?

You guys REALLY think those would be "great films" or you would just like to see them made into films?

I didn't think either were particularly great comics to begin with, so maybe it's just me.

Yes, I think after establishing the Avengers as a franchise, a film where two different alien races show up on Earth to claim the planet and the Avengers have to stop the both of them has a potential for a lot of interesting storytelling.

But I don't usually like "just list stuff" posts anyway.... it's way more worth reading when people actually explain their choices, so maybe that would help?

Right. If it's just a matter of listing stuff you'd want to see it's not much more than a list of your favorite comics.

When I read "good movies" I interpret that as something that the general movie-going public would find "good" and would pay to see. I loved Nextwave but I don't think it would be a "good" movie in that regard, no matter how much I'd *like* to see it.

They did The Death of Superman (animated) and it was a steaming pile of ****. Following the original storyline more closely would probably be worse.

:roll:

First of all, was it really that bad or is it easier to just say something was terrible, rather than just (sensibly) giving it a fairly good-mediocre review? If you have seen it and you genuinely believe it was that bad, then fine. Otherwise you should probably watch it again.

Secondly, there's a whole bunch of stuff from the source material that they very much didn't do with that movie. In all fairness, the movie is more accurately a loose adaption of Kevin Smith's original intentions for the failed Superman Lives movie, rather than a direct adaptation of the comic book storyline. Hell, it even has a giant spider. Basically, if they made a movie of that storyline (which I'm absolutely not suggesting they do right now, but which I'd definitely like to see), there's no reason why it wouldn't be completely different from the animated one.

I really do think Annihilation could work as a great movie - It has the epic 'space opera' feel of 'Alien' meets 'Star Wars'. Just my opinion - It was a pretty good entry point for anyone with no knowledge of these characters, which makes for a good starting point of a movie as well.

Lost Girls

I really do think Annihilation could work as a great movie - It has the epic 'space opera' feel of 'Alien' meets 'Star Wars'. Just my opinion - It was a pretty good entry point for anyone with no knowledge of these characters, which makes for a good starting point of a movie as well.

Huh. I'm not sure I'd call Alien a space opera, but other than that, I agree entirely. Space opera is a genre that really hasn't been filled all that well since Star Wars. And thanks to Abnett and Lanning, Marvel has a distinct, vast cosmic universe that wouldn't be obligated to tie back in to their superhero films. Out of all Marvel's properties (aside from, perhaps, Iron Fist or Dr. Strange) this is the one I really want to see brought to the screen.

If you have seen it and you genuinely believe it was that bad, then fine.

I saw it (I bought it, even) and genuinely believed it was bad. The entire plot was a mess, and beyond that any explanation should have been asked of me when I posted that, because most of it was forgettable enough that I don't remember what I didn't like in any detail.

And Kingdom Come could easily be one of the greatest movies ever made. It is just you.

I'm not sure about that. I think comic book fans would love it, but I can't help but think that it would go over the heads of the general public, unless they did massive edits to the source material. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable concerning the various characters in the DC universe, and even I had a hard time figuring out who was who.

I'm not sure about that. I think comic book fans would love it, but I can't help but think that it would go over the heads of the general public, unless they did massive edits to the source material. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable concerning the various characters in the DC universe, and even I had a hard time figuring out who was who.

Oh certainly, but there are ways around that, by adapting and merging certain characters. I don't think any comic book movie should follow the source material as closely as, say, Snyder's Watchmen did, for that very reason. The reason the Nolan Batmans, Iron Man and the Spider-Man movies were successful is because they captured the essence of particular stories, without feeling the need to mirror them onscreen. I think Kingdom Come could be accurately adapted into a quality film.

I should note though, that all of my picks in this thread are "Just for fun" picks; movies I would like to see, rather than movies that I believe would work well as part of an ongoing franchise.

Well Kingdom Come already has a built in storytelling device to inform the audience of characters and events

Well Kingdom Come already has a built in storytelling device to inform the audience of characters and events

Exactly. When you think about the main characters who genuinely affect the story you have Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Lex Luthor, Captain Marvel, Magog, Norman McCay and the Spectre. The only ones with backstory needed to be explained are Marvel, Magog and Spectre and Norman McCay would obviously be known as the everyman viewing the story. I wouldn't overload it with side characters like Ross did in the story so that we don't have too many colors flying around. Just keep the majors like Flash and GL and Red Robin around for Easter Eggs.

Well now, if that were true I'd be telling YOU to go post somewhere else altogether.

I award myself a Retroactive Post of the Day.

Latest posts

Back