Costume complaints

E

Excelsior Club
As much as I love the Ultimate books, some of the costumes and appearances of some of the characters really bother me.

First of course are the apparent breasts on Ultimate Vision. Giving a robot gender is bad enough, but why would a robot have mammary glands?!

Also - the X-Men. I hate the costumes. They are stupid, pointless, and unnecessary. They should all have leather jackets a la New X-Men.

Green Goblin - I hate that he turns into a Hulk ripoff. Here you have a villain kooky enough to put on a lame suit and they ruin it. Dumb.

Daredevil should not have a red rubber suit. Sorry DD purists. The black ninja outfit was waaaaaaay better.

Venom - NO WHITE SPIDER. It's stupid.

The costumes on all of the Ultimates, Rhino, and later Doc Octopus are all great.

I just had to get that off my chest.

**** you E! It's not rubber either! It's a specialized material made by Reed Richards that's fireproof and somewhat eases impacts.

If Spider-Man can run around in what he wears I have no problem with Daredevils costume.

Um... I don't have a problem with costumes in general at all. They're superheroes.

TheManWithoutFear said:
It's not rubber either! It's a specialized material made by Reed Richards that's fireproof and somewhat eases impacts.

If Spider-Man can run around in what he wears I have no problem with Daredevils costume.

Um... I don't have a problem with costumes in general at all. They're superheroes.
I concur.

Last edited:
UltimateE said:
First of course are the apparent breasts on Ultimate Vision. Giving a robot gender is bad enough, but why would a robot have mammary glands?!
Giving a robot a gender is fine. Changing the GIANT ASEXUAL HARBRINGER OF OUR DESTRUCTION THAT FELL FROM SPACE into something that belongs in Heavy Metal is not.

Also - the X-Men. I hate the costumes. They are stupid, pointless, and unnecessary. They should all have leather jackets a la New X-Men.
See now I think they're perfect. Ultiamte Xavier wants them to be super-heros, and as far as super-hero costumes designed for functionality go they're fine. No problem there.

Green Goblin - I hate that he turns into a Hulk ripoff. Here you have a villain kooky enough to put on a lame suit and they ruin it. Dumb.
This actualy turned me off the entire ultimate line for a few years. I read it on Dotcomics when they still updated and the minute the Hulblin started throwning fireballs I stopped. I got back in when The Ultimates was traded.

Daredevil should not have a red rubber suit. Sorry DD purists. The black ninja outfit was waaaaaaay better.
<foggy>You want me to bring your red suit.
<Matt> It's red?
<Foggy>.... Yeah?
<Matt> Gotcha.
<Foggy> ***.
Not a problem. It's classic man.

Eh. It made more sense in 616. I haven't played the Ultimate Spider-Game so I dunno if its explained more there.

Now I hate Ultimate Shocker. What the hell is up with that Jacket?

Last edited:
I agree with everything E said.

And yes, Daredevil does look stupid, he really must not have any idea what he's wearing.

MWoF said:
It's a specialized material made by Reed Richards that's fireproof and somewhat eases impacts.

And it says that in what issue?

And spidey, he's a dorky kid, he doesn't know what he's doing. If he had a really cool costume it wouldn't be the same. The whole dorkiness of his costume is part of teh character.

DD isn't supposed to be dorky is he? Coz his outfit doesn't reflect him as a hero, at all.

X-men, yeah, I think they're stupid, would make more sense if they dressed like the black panthers or something (Given the the whole Xavier/Magneto thing was an allegory for the differences between Martin Luther King and Malcom X).

And Venom is wrong on more levels than I'm prepared to comment on.

Ultimates, Hitch did a great job, they all look the part, totally.

yeah

UltimateE said:
As much as I love the Ultimate books, some of the costumes and appearances of some of the characters really bother me.

I agree, it's dumb. I hope they explain it, at least.

UltimateE said:

They're not bad, but they're being changed once McNiven comes on. I just hope they don't put them in different colored spandex. THAT'S stupid, pointless, and unnecessary. The leather jackets would be fine.

UltimateE said:

I thought the costume was stupid, personally. I wish he still changed into a Goblin, just not so massive. I also miss the Glider and I wish he didn't throw fireballs. Pumpkin Bombs were fine.

UltimateE said:

Nah, it's fine. If Spidey can jump around in his underwear, so can DD.

UltimateE said:

It was explained in USM the Game. I could go either way really. Doesn't bother me.

UltimateE said:
The costumes on all of the Ultimates, Rhino, and later Doc Octopus are all great.

Agreed.

Guijllons said:
And yes, Daredevil does look stupid, he really must not have any idea what he's wearing.

And it says that in what issue?

And spidey, he's a dorky kid, he doesn't know what he's doing. If he had a really cool costume it wouldn't be the same. The whole dorkiness of his costume is part of teh character.

DD isn't supposed to be dorky is he? Coz his outfit doesn't reflect him as a hero, at all.
I can't name too many cooler moments when Daredevil is standing outside of a window in that costume.

It says the Reed thing in.... I think it's issue #1 of Guardian Devil.

Daredevil's costume is symbolic. It's in memory of his father. That's like saying Fred and Barney looks stupid in their water buffalo hates.

How come it always comes down to DD? What about Batman? What about The White Tiger, Black Panther, Deadpool, The Flash, Iron Fist, Hulk's purple pants or the fact that he gains 100 times more muscle mass? Why can't Bruce Banner just look the same with added strength and rage? Captain America? Thor? Superman has the most homoerotic costume I've ever seen or wore (Halloween '03) Robin, Green Lantern, MoonKnight, *Takes a breath*

If these characters were made in contemporary times there wouldn't be costumes needed but they're symbols.

"People need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy and I can't do that as Bruce Wayne, as a man I'm flesh and blood I can be ignored I can be destroyed but as a symbol, as a symbol I can be incorruptible, I can be everlasting. "

The exact reason heroes wear costumes.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I can't name too many cooler moments when Daredevil is standing outside of a window in that costume.
Anything which isn't that is kinda cool too.
It says the Reed thing in.... I think it's issue #1 of Guardian Devil.
Daredevil's costume is symbolic. It's in memory of his father. That's like saying Fred and Barney looks stupid in their water buffalo hates.
How come it always comes down to DD?
His costume sucks.
What about Batman?
DC
What about The White Tiger, Black Panther, Deadpool, The Flash,
616 and DC
Iron Fist
Not as dorky as DD.
Hulk's purple pants
That's more of an in-joke.
or the fact that he gains 100 times more muscle mass? Why can't Bruce Banner just look the same with added strength and rage?
because that would be a different character, his ability is to grow large and become stronger etc. Would Daredevil still be daredevil if he grew huge ears to explain his excellent hearing?
Captain America?
Poster boy, think gladiators.
Harness
Superman has the most homoerotic costume I've ever seen or wore (Halloween '03)
DC (And yeah, it's really really bad, but not quite as camp as DD)
So gay.
Green Lantern
DC really do have bad costumes. But we are talking about marvel here, and the UU mavel
, MoonKnight, *Takes a breath*
I don't like moonknight's either, but DD's is still the worst (of marvel anyway)

If these characters were made in contemporary times there wouldn't be costumes needed but they're symbols.
Some heroes deserve symbols, some don't. It all comes down to DD supposedly being this defender of justice and big scary guy, and he looks like he walked out of a fetish club.
"People need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy and I can't do that as Bruce Wayne, as a man I'm flesh and blood I can be ignored I can be destroyed but as a symbol, as a symbol I can be incorruptible, I can be everlasting. "

The exact reason heroes wear costumes.
Fine, he can have a costume. But that red one looks stupid. It's always looked stupid, and it always will. It's totally out of character for this hard nosed humourless blind maniac to wear something so dorky.

It would be far better if DD looked cool, wouldn't it?

Guijllons said:
It would be far better if DD looked cool, wouldn't it?
Bottom line, not to me. To others, yeah I guess more people would pick up the title? I dunno. I like the Devil Costume. It's not flaming red it's maroonish and subtle. The 616 argument isn't fair because... I don't know what you want. People don't want to see Ultimate Daredevil but they want to take shots at him? I don't enjoy costumes but if they're already established then they're a part of that person's character.

The point with the hulk was if even was created now, would he be a giant green monster or would they have added some scientific evidence to him and turned him into a more ape-like creature? Reflecting what a homo-sapiens primal rages should be? But we have these characters and the way they look and that's just the way it is.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Bottom line, not to me. To others, yeah I guess more people would pick up the title? I dunno. I like the Devil Costume. It's not flaming red it's maroonish and subtle. The 616 argument isn't fair because... I don't know what you want. People don't want to see Ultimate Daredevil but they want to take shots at him? I don't enjoy costumes but if they're already established then they're a part of that person's character.
It's about as subtle as a housebrick. And it's been said a few times, 616 DD doesn't have the problems that the other heroes have had, he's still a clearly defined character that doesn't have a lot of baggage. He doesn't need to be ultimised much. And in his ultimisation, the thing that gets the biggest complaints should be the first thing that's addressed right? And that's the costume.

And for me, a believable costume makes a lot of difference when trying to feel empathy with the character, what they wear and why they wear it is a part of their personality. I for one hate that the FF have the number 4 on their chests in UFF now. It's essentially putting their team logo on their lab clothes, silly stuff, unnecessary.

DD is a stern and complicated man, it doesn't stand that he would wear bright red.

The point with the hulk was if even was created now, would he be a giant green monster or would they have added some scientific evidence to him and turned him into a more ape-like creature? Reflecting what a homo-sapiens primal rages should be? But we have these characters and the way they look and that's just the way it is.
The ape thing, nah, that's a bit cheap, but if he was created now, he wouldn't be green. The green thing is silly and part of the old idea that radioactive things glow green. But skinny Dr. Banner transforming into the strongest one there is, makes perfect sense. Case of 'careful what you wish for'. Full on Charles Atlas.

Well, Namor and Apocalypse. These are those I think look really stupid. Thankfully, they have all of two panels appearance between the two of them so they can hopefully improve.

Moonknight is farily high on the dumb costume totem pole. His costime looks good but... I would never want to get into a melee wearing a huge cloak and I would never try to skulk around at night in a white costume. It's insanely moronic.

DD is not too bad. Deep red isn't as good as black but it's not white either. At least it's practical for what he does, there is nothing to grab or that can get caught in a door or something.

It maybe because I have almost no exposure to 616, but I like Ultimate Green Goblin. He looks really menacing.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
Moonknight is farily high on the dumb costume totem pole. His costime looks good but... I would never want to get into a melee wearing a huge cloak and I would never try to skulk around at night in a white costume. It's insanely moronic.
Can you believe he's wearing white after Labor Day. :roll:

Guijllons said:
I agree with everything E said.

I knew if anyone would, you would. :D

TheManWithoutFear said:
How come it always comes down to DD? What about Batman? What about The White Tiger, Black Panther, Deadpool, The Flash, Iron Fist, Hulk's purple pants or the fact that he gains 100 times more muscle mass? Why can't Bruce Banner just look the same with added strength and rage? Captain America? Thor? Superman has the most homoerotic costume I've ever seen or wore (Halloween '03) Robin, Green Lantern, MoonKnight, *Takes a breath*

I think you're being half-facetious here, but I'll reply anyway. I like Daredevil. Just not his costume. And what about Batman, etc.? I was ranting about the UU. There was a great opportunity to move away from things like this, and they dropped the ball in a lot of cases.

I forgot about the costume changes during Singer's run. PLEASE bring back the leather jackets.

UltimateE said:
I forgot about the costume changes during Singer's run. PLEASE bring back the leather jackets.
PLEASE DON'T. I prefer Ultimate over movie. Movie is cool, but Ultimate is so much better. So they didn't drop the ball.

Latest posts

Back