Costume complaints

Y'know dammit, I think Cap should have the wings on his head. Yeah, thats right I said it. This is my reasoning.

Your a supervillian, skipping around la le la le la, and all of the sudden Cap, as he looks now, shows up and kicks your ***. Now obviously you deserve it (because your a supervillian) and while your cooling your heels in the Triskelion, you just think to yourself "Man, Cap kicked my ***. He's pretty tough."

NOW consider the exact same scenario, but Cap has those little wings on the side of his helmet. Your gonna be laying there with a concussion and severe lacerations thinking "Man, that guy kicked my *** so hard I may never walk again! He's so tough he can even get away with wearing those little wings on the side of his head and it looks cool! Nothing can stop this man, God help us all!"

See the difference?;)

By that same logic, they should have dressed up Thor in a tutu.

Last edited:
Frapalino said:
i absolutely can't stand hawkeyes costume

Hawkeye's costume is great. All the the Ultimates' are.

Punisher is another one that is just stupid. They should've gone with the movie look.

Yeah, Hawkeye looks good. I second that.

And Punisher's costume is stupid in the same way that Elektra's costume is stupid. These are characters that should thrive on being discreet until the moment they spring into action. Yet they both wear a costume that screams : "Look at me! Won't you pleaaasse look at meeeeeee!" For supposedly highly professional killers, they are not making it too hard on the cops to ID them, huh? Notice how Bullseye (poindexter) used diguises? The guy with a tattoo on his forehead acts more like a pro than Elektra and Punisher...

Otherwise, their costume looks no more stupid than average IMO.

Last edited:
Hey ya'll just mentioned Punisher, and I thought back to the issue of Ultimate Spider-Man where Punisher makes an appearance, fighting with Boomerang...
Now...I have never heard of him before the Ultimate Universe...but, his costume lookes, uh...well, colmpletely stupid in the U.U., so is it an improvement or not???

I hated how Punisher looked in USM I have not seen him in UMTU but I agree they should have definitely gone with the movie, wearing black militaristic clothing everything practical just have a skull painted on his chest.

I'm gonna doa few responses here after reading the whole thread, so lets hope this makes sense.

Boomarang: This was one of those lame Marvel villians that Bendis has loved mocking ruthlessly since he started up. Hemade fun of him in Daredevil and now he's making fun of him Ultimate style. The only guys who get it worse from Bendis are Stilt Man (the issue where he walks into Murdock's office in DD is priceless) and Killer Shrike. Poor guy gets made fun of up and down DD, then is made out as a huge chump in Secret War and to top it off he ends up being elecrocuted to death by a booby trapped door knob. Back to my point, Bendis likes making jokes at the expense of B-list super villians. See Ultimate Shocker.

While on the subject of DD, I have to say I don't have any problem with the costume. In terms of stealth the ninja one is better, but it's also a very annonymous costume. It would take quite a long time to build up a reputation because everyone you beat up would tend to think they got beatten up by a a random ninja. That or he'd have to start speaking of himself in the third person while he was taking down criminals. The costume's highly functional, in fact the only thing that is anything but functional are the horns (which are really small), the logo (which is discrete) and the colour (which if done properly isn't bright red, as someone else said it's a dark red or maroon) makes DD identifiable. And given that DD's territory is an old part of the city, Hell's Kitchen, which if I recall from most of Malveev's issues is made up of red brick buildings, dark red blends in with that territory better than black. Yes there's a slight bit of silliness, but that comes with DD chosing to be a super hero and not an annonymous vigilante. After a while as Bendis had it in DD, criminals stay out of Hell's Kitchen because "it's Devil country". After a while everyone knows that's DD's turf and the smart criminals stay out.

Finally, I think the decision to change the name from Victor Von Doom, to Victor Van Damme was a smart one as was having his appearance be a mutation. Cause seriously, how many people are named Von Doom? Van Damme can later be easily corrupted into Doom, and here's a biggie, it's a real name. And (in a sci-fi universe) being a mutated metal man is a lot less hookey than a guy who dresses up in medieval armour, though to be fair Doom in his megalomania can pull it off.

In Ultimate Spider-Man's "Carnage" arc, the scene opens up with Punisher shootin' the crap out of stuff, as usual. Spider-Man says he has no idea who the "goof-nut in the purple suit is" but knows he's a thief. And after Spidey takes out Punisher, the purple guy, Boomerang, he tells Spidey that he can have $20,000 if he swings him away. Boomerang is also in the Spider-Man game...

Either way, he looks like a jacka**.

Blacksword said:
I'm gonna doa few responses here after reading the whole thread, so lets hope this makes sense.

Boomarang: This was one of those lame Marvel villians that Bendis has loved mocking ruthlessly since he started up. Hemade fun of him in Daredevil and now he's making fun of him Ultimate style. The only guys who get it worse from Bendis are Stilt Man (the issue where he walks into Murdock's office in DD is priceless) and Killer Shrike. Poor guy gets made fun of up and down DD, then is made out as a huge chump in Secret War and to top it off he ends up being elecrocuted to death by a booby trapped door knob. Back to my point, Bendis likes making jokes at the expense of B-list super villians. See Ultimate Shocker.

While on the subject of DD, I have to say I don't have any problem with the costume. In terms of stealth the ninja one is better, but it's also a very annonymous costume. It would take quite a long time to build up a reputation because everyone you beat up would tend to think they got beatten up by a a random ninja. That or he'd have to start speaking of himself in the third person while he was taking down criminals. The costume's highly functional, in fact the only thing that is anything but functional are the horns (which are really small), the logo (which is discrete) and the colour (which if done properly isn't bright red, as someone else said it's a dark red or maroon) makes DD identifiable. And given that DD's territory is an old part of the city, Hell's Kitchen, which if I recall from most of Malveev's issues is made up of red brick buildings, dark red blends in with that territory better than black. Yes there's a slight bit of silliness, but that comes with DD chosing to be a super hero and not an annonymous vigilante. After a while as Bendis had it in DD, criminals stay out of Hell's Kitchen because "it's Devil country". After a while everyone knows that's DD's turf and the smart criminals stay out.

Perfect! I have nothing further to add. Except to emphasize on the "they think they'd be fighting a random ninja thing. I was thinking of that concept myself but I already referred to heroes like Daredevil need dramatics to set an example.

Going off the Captain America comment, those wings actually served a purpose way back when beleive it or don't. CA would deattach them during fights and stab people with them, basically they were knives that were hidden in plain sight.

UltimateE said:
As much as I love the Ultimate books, some of the costumes and appearances of some of the characters really bother me.

[...]

I just had to get that off my chest.
I would prefer Ultimate Thor to have red hair, a chunkier rune-covered belt of strength, gauntlets, and a much better-looking hammer. And his costume should be mostly red.

Mainly red hair. That is so basic, and there is no need to get it wrong.

David Blue said:
I would prefer Ultimate Thor to have red hair, a chunkier rune-covered belt of strength, gauntlets, and a much better-looking hammer. And his costume should be mostly red.

Mainly red hair. That is so basic, and there is no need to get it wrong.
If Thor was a Celt living in the 5th century maybe. Maybe Captain Britain should have stained himself blue.

Last edited:
David Blue said:
rune-covered belt of strength
"Beholod, Thor, Son of Odin, with his magic rune-covered belt of stregnth!'
I can't stand that Dungeons and Dragons crap.
Stick with the blonde hair, but runes on the belt and maybe similar runes as tattoos would be cool.

I like the Daredevil costume, and I like the Batman Begins justification.

I am also impressed with the Iron Man design, although why they changed Black Widow from a super, with her own pros and cons, different from the rest of the team in various ways, into just another Iron Man/Rocketman, is beyond me.

I like both the New X-Men and Ultimate X-Men uniforms, I do not like the Astonishing X-Men, different coloured spandex look. It seems tacky and undermines the whole team of mutants fighting for a world that fears and hates them/school/army look, although leather, or spandex, or whatever isn't exactly a sensible material for a school uniform.

I don't like the Defenders costumes, but I guess that's the point.

As a side note, if you look at Hawkeye on the front cover of Ultimates 2 #1, or if you have the poster (like me. I have it mounted and hanging up on my wall with each individual framed issue of Ultimates 2... wow, I'm such a dork), has anyone else noticed that there is no possible way that Hawkeye's hand should be were it is, unless he has a very wonky arrow, have a look, you should see what I mean...

Last edited:
Samurai Jack said:
I am also impressed with the Iron Man design, although why they changed Black Widow from a super, with her own pros and cons, different from the rest of the team in various ways, into just another Iron Man/Rocketman, is beyond me.
I suspect that will be answered later on. I've never thought it was a simple ultimisation, but I could well be wrong.

I like both the New X-Men and Ultimate X-Men uniforms, I do not like the Astonishing X-Men, different coloured spandex look. It seems tacky and undermines the whole team of mutants fighting for a world that fears and hates them/school/army look, although leather, or spandex, or whatever isn't exactly a sensible material for a school uniform.
I dunno, I think the Astonishing X-men uniforms are the most well designed of any of theirs over the years. I hated the leather jackets that preceded them, they looked like doormen.

As a side note, if you look at Hawkeye on the front cover of Ultimates 2 #1, or if you have the poster (like me. I have it mounted and hanging up on my wall with each individual framed issue of Ultimates 2... wow, I'm such a dork), has anyone else noticed that there is no possible way that Hawkeye's hand should be were it is, unless he has a very wonky arrow, have a look, you should see what I mean...
Heh, I hadn't noticed that. I suspect that the arrow was moved because it would look like it was inserted into his nose had it been in a correct position.

I hate every Spiderman costume with the exception of the Black/Symbiote one. Now that was a costume. Why the hell did they give to that mulleted beefhead Eddie Brock and give Pete his old blue and reds? Shoulda kept in on Pete.

Latest posts

Back